Derby v Lincoln City

B4’s Sister

Love the angle behind the goal for Hourihane’s strike, seeing the way he anticipates the ball’s movement, sets himself and strikes it so sweetly is so satisfying to watch. I think he’s as good an option as any to play the “10” role if it’s goals and assists we need, might not have the legs to press as well as others but his technique for striking the ball must be right up there compared to his colleagues. Play Bird as the deep lying player with Hourihane and Sibley/Tommo ahead of him. 

3 hours ago, PrideParkhead said:

Never hated a manager more than Warne. A complete charlatan & he knows it, hence the jovial nonsense to deflect how he's turned us into a Sunday League team. Not stepping foot in PP again until he's booted down the road. 

What an idiotic post. I don't know why I keep looking at this forum. Good result against a difficult team to play against at this level.

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Love the angle behind the goal for Hourihane’s strike, seeing the way he anticipates the ball’s movement, sets himself and strikes it so sweetly is so satisfying to watch. I think he’s as good an option as any to play the “10” role if it’s goals and assists we need, might not have the legs to press as well as others but his technique for striking the ball must be right up there compared to his colleagues. Play Bird as the deep lying player with Hourihane and Sibley/Tommo ahead of him. 

I liked the drag back from Kane Wilson which got him facing forward, from where he delivered the pass for James Collins to score the third.

I've thought he looks a bit aimless with his running with the ball and too inclined to turn and go backwards, but that was good play....👍

5 hours ago, S8TY said:

I thought both Fornah and Bird looked weak tonight and some awful passes and decision making ….supposed to tackle in midfield I thought lol wouldn’t be that concerned if we sold Bird in Jan as I think we need more in a CM might give us some money to spend 

I thought Fornah had an ok game. Played a part in the build up to the first two goals. 

7 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Some people on here are pretty harsh on Collins tonight. Not sure what game some are watching if they think he played poorly.

Chased absolutely everything down. Couple of lovely touches. The one chance we created for him. He scored from.

Doesn't matter who's upfront in this team with the service they get. Some of the crosses from Barkhuizen were a hate crime. He did everything I'd want my centre forward to do. Worked his arse off, led the line, had one chance and took it. Fully deserved his goal.

Thought the first 10 minutes of the first half we couldn't get going, but credit to Lincoln for starting on the front foot. But after that I thought we took control and deservedly took the lead. 

Can't legislate for Ward giving that penalty away. But it just highlights for me what I knew. He's not an out and out right back. But it gave Lincoln a massive lift and they came out second half and started well again. But again after 10 minutes we took control and deservedly won. 

Wildsmith hasn't had a save to make and other than a really good block from Cashin, they never troubled us.

I heard one fan moaning outside the ground that it's not "sexy football". Hate to break it to you mate but sexy football doesn't exist in this league. It's all about winning and getting out of it. 

Much better performance than Saturday. Big win against a decent side.

I honestly think people are disappointed not to see us play teams off the park for 90 minutes. Which is never going to happen.

Wilson did well when he came on. Nelson and Cashin outstanding.

Get to January in touching distance of the top and we've got a great chance if we can strengthen well.

Up The Rams!

Merry Christmas to you all. Hope you and your families have a good one.

Merry Christmas to you too. We both went to the same game last night. Great succinct report IMO.
I still think we could step it up if we could just do a bit more one touch stuff, there are good enough ball players in this team to at least have a stab at it.

Fornah is work in progress, he’s got a lot of skill if we could find a way to use it, which we didn’t last night. 

6 hours ago, S8TY said:

I thought both Fornah and Bird looked weak tonight and some awful passes and decision making ….supposed to tackle in midfield I thought lol wouldn’t be that concerned if we sold Bird in Jan as I think we need more in a CM might give us some money to spend 

It took 32 minutes last night for Bird to pass the ball forward . Is there a team looking to buy a midfielder that just goes back and sideways ? I thought Collins covered every blade of grass last night , perhaps Bird should look at his work ethic.

3 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I liked the drag back from Kane Wilson which got him facing forward, from where he delivered the pass for James Collins to score the third.

I've thought he looks a bit aimless with his running with the ball and too inclined to turn and go backwards, but that was good play....👍

Even better that it was their annoying No 6 that he made look stupid - the bloke was a complete and utter twit all evening….

9 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Steady on buddy. Let's not get carried away. I'm happy to celebrate the win and sitting 3rd in the league but the mood on this forum could very quickly change with the next three games looking potentially tricky. 

Nah, this league this season is abysmal. Expect us to dictate play in the 2 upcoming away games and should have nothing to fear. Anything less than 4 points would be a failure. 

Only thing that should be a risk is if we sell our players (Bird, Cashin) and try to replace them. Warnes recruitment was far from good and most of our actual footballers was here before Warne. That is my only fear for now. 

I think the recruitment has been fine. Is it only 18 months since we had five players in preseason?! We now have decent players in every position and back ups too. In normal years if you got three players that were better 'like for like' you'd consider it a good window. Nelson and Nyambe have sorted our defence. The likes of Elder, Ward, Bradley, JJ etc. make the bench look strong compared to most teams in this division. If we can pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat in January top two is on. If not next summer we'll improve again and top two will be a very realistic aim next season.

It was a difficult game to judge certain players because our tactics were so clear. Keep playing it from side to side across the back, push Forsyth and Ward up and have them slide it down the line to Barks and NML to drive forward. 

It meant that especially Bird rarely touched it first half and Fornah was isolated at times. Ward kept getting the ball but didn't take his man on and his crosses were being cleared  near post. Barks was poor in my opinion, his crosses weren't great and he kept wandering offside or making the wrong run.

Lincoln were happy to sit in and take the point. Terrible penalty to concede. Barks didn't give much cover and Ward was reckless. 

We started the 2nd half quite poorly but the substitutions gave us some momentum. Wilson's goal gave us breathing space and Lincoln came out their shells and we won quite comfortably then.

Nelson and Cashin won everything, both immense. Fozzle and Hourihane worked hard and were good. Collins worked his socks off but he doesn't look like he will nick us that crucial goal  from nowhere or make the run that turns the game.

Warne's interview was a bit odd. Overly negative, quite awkward as well ..not jovial. His 'maybe this is as good as we are' answer was an interesting one. It's what a lot of fans are thinking/saying but seems strange for him to say it.

13 minutes ago, S6 boy said:

I think the recruitment has been fine. Is it only 18 months since we had five players in preseason?! We now have decent players in every position and back ups too. In normal years if you got three players that were better 'like for like' you'd consider it a good window. Nelson and Nyambe have sorted our defence. The likes of Elder, Ward, Bradley, JJ etc. make the bench look strong compared to most teams in this division. If we can pull a couple of rabbits out of the hat in January top two is on. If not next summer we'll improve again and top two will be a very realistic aim next season.

This 👌.

Reading what some people say about our recruitment baffles me. Yes it could have been better, there’s always potential for improvement, but it’s hardly been terrible.

We’ve signed one who hasn’t lived up to the hype (Bradley) but has still come in and done a job as part of the second best(?) defence in the league.

A couple more have been hard to observe due to injury. But the rest have added strength and depth to the squad in my opinion, with the likes of Washington and Waghorn playing their part in picking up points earlier in the season. With them returning from injury and hopefully some strengthening in January there’s as much chance of us pushing on up the table as there is dropping down it, guess it’s down to how you choose to see the world.