Rebecca Welch

Poynton ram

5 hours ago, Crewton said:

She was the best referee we had last season.

I notice though they've also elevated Sam Allison, who was one of the worst referees we've had, so they still can't pick em.

Welch was very good last season whenever I saw her refereeing.

Allison, on the other hand, delivered the worst refereeing performance by a long stretch, at home to Port Vale.  I remember reading up about him afterwards and saw similar trends from other clubs’ fans who’d considered him less than capable.  Although, in fairness, you probably would find that in every ref at some point…

31 minutes ago, sage said:

Which cards were wrong? Were any of the penalties given and not given incorrect?

The one for Sibley was ridiculous. She failed to book one of their players for a deliberate foul out on our right wing after playing the advantage - it was a worse foul than the one Bird got booked for. Lyle Taylor should have been booked at the very least for ignoring her direction and barging past her. She took no action at all over their incessant gamesmanship. And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

A mate who had a good view of the penalty incident couldn't see any contact even after watching it twice on the concourse afterwards. I haven't seen it again, so can't comment on that, but it must have been a really clear penalty because she gave it almost before their player hit the deck.

14 minutes ago, Crewton said:

The one for Sibley was ridiculous. She failed to book one of their players for a deliberate foul out on our right wing after playing the advantage - it was a worse foul than the one Bird got booked for. Lyle Taylor should have been booked at the very least for ignoring her direction and barging past her. She took no action at all over their incessant gamesmanship. And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

A mate who had a good view of the penalty incident couldn't see any contact even after watching it twice on the concourse afterwards. I haven't seen it again, so can't comment on that, but it must have been a really clear penalty because she gave it almost before their player hit the deck.

The Sibley one was ridiculous...of him. The whistle had gone seconds earlier.

The one she played advantage for was nothing like Birds. That was 2 tugs on a player running clear.

The penalty is obvious. Barkhuizen and Warne said afterwards.

I think the level was a bit surprising since she allowed almost anything up to yellow card level. I quite like that since it gives the game better flow but there were some rather obvious free kicks which got missed. That played more to our advantage though. 

I felt the penalty was harsh but looking at it again it's very clumsy from Ward so I stand corrected. 

A solid 6/10 performance and would get a 7/10 if she would have managed Wycombes time wasting a bit better. 

On 16/12/2023 at 21:31, sage said:

The one she played advantage for was nothing like Birds. That was 2 tugs on a player running clear.

I got a lot of grief on here for saying that, once again, she got all the big calls right.

Perhaps we all go through a phase of being affronted by any decision which goes against us - I know that I did. 55 years ago, it was always Kevin Howley's fault when we lost - even if he wasn't the ref.

21 hours ago, Eddie said:

I got a lot of grief on here for saying that, once again, she got all the big calls right.

Perhaps we all go through a phase of being affronted by any decision which goes against us - I know that I did. 55 years ago, it was always Kevin Howley's fault when we lost - even if he wasn't the ref.

Jack Taylor......never forgot or forgave him for Hillsborough in 1976....

World cup referee my a**e.....🙄

On 16/12/2023 at 21:31, sage said:

What is the obsession with what Barkhuizen said? Was he well positioned to see the penalty? Had he seen a slow motion replay by time he gave his interview?

Ive watched it back and the player is on his way down before Ward is near him. Not sure there was even any contact. 

That aside she was poor most of the afternoon which was surprising given the way she had performed in the previous 2 times she had officiated at Pride Park.

Hopefully just an off day rather than her believing her own hype.

I don't think it's relevant whether Warne or Barkhuizen thought it was a penalty (unless Ward told them he definitely clipped the Wycombe player) it's whether the referee actually thought she saw contact (or was advised by the lino) or whether she just assumed there was because of the way the attacker fell. Unfortunately we're unlikely to hear from those key participants.

On 19/12/2023 at 01:37, Eddie said:

It's still Jamie Patersons fault most of the time

4 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I don't think it's relevant whether Warne or Barkhuizen thought it was a penalty (unless Ward told them he definitely clipped the Wycombe player) it's whether the referee actually thought she saw contact (or was advised by the lino) or whether she just assumed there was because of the way the attacker fell. Unfortunately we're unlikely to hear from those key participants.

As we know all officials are mic'd up, I doubt the linesman said penalty he's to far away and a crowded area, Welch is to far away to be 100% sure...imo(are you reading this kevinhectoring?) for me the above in bold was are the reasons.

Is there any other video evidence from a different angle to suggest contact was made by Ward?