Derby vs Fleetwood Town

B4’s Sister

6 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

And well done to the 100 or so that did their very best to create an atmosphere. 

I had to admire their enthusiasm on such a cold night.

I think they could have given the Fleetwood fans a night off from the standard banter though - coming down from Lancs on a night like that for a trophy few are currently 'up' for about deserves a bit of praise.

29 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

There is a fleetwood youtuber who did a report on the game that said (I think) 27.  Perhaps the others bought tickets but didn’t travel 

Fleetwood stuck an 18 year old kid in goal last night for his 2nd start . Stephen McMullan from Ireland. Hope he brought his familly to watch him , he didn’t do too bad . Looks like he could have a bright future. I remember Davd Reya coming here for non-league Stockport in the cup.

8 hours ago, eddielewis said:

For those who care about this cup or love a good cup draw it's on Friday on Sky Sports News at 6.30

It's still a North/South split so we could get:

Blackpool

Doncaster

Bradford

Accrington/Lincoln

Bolton

Burton

Wigan/Stockport

Matches played around week commencing Jan 4th

Who do we want then? 

It will be interesting to see if teams fully put out their best XI from now on let's say if we draw Bolton or Blackpool

Doncaster away would be nice 😊

23 hours ago, Andicis said:

It means in the average game you'd expect them to have scored 1 and us to have scored 2. We had better than average finishing, and they had worse than average finishing. Indicates that it was a closer game than the score line would suggest. As I'll say yet again, xG is an overview that is more accurately used in the long run, nothing is without flaws but it's a stat that provides more useful context. 

I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Funnily enough I do “get” stats, particularly in the long view. Fascinating when you have seen bell curves and statistical processes control. But a striker in league 1 isn’t a piece of worn tooling. One day he’ll be on fire and another day it’s in row Z. The thing is, unlike the worn tooling, you don’t know when and which. I think the further up the leagues you go the more applicable and coherent things like XG are. In league one it’s an interesting curiosity; but for me, of limited value given the variables ….. and their variability. Heck who knows but I was just messing about rather than making a serious point. 

9 minutes ago, jono said:

I was being a bit tongue in cheek. Funnily enough I do “get” stats, particularly in the long view. Fascinating when you have seen bell curves and statistical processes control. But a striker in league 1 isn’t a piece of worn tooling. One day he’ll be on fire and another day it’s in row Z. The thing is, unlike the worn tooling, you don’t know when and which. I think the further up the leagues you go the more applicable and coherent things like XG are. In league one it’s an interesting curiosity; but for me, of limited value given the variables ….. and their variability. Heck who knows but I was just messing about rather than making a serious point. 

Fair enough, impossible to pick up tone on here and a lot of posters genuinely seem to not know what it is. 

17 hours ago, oodledoodle said:

For me, moving away from Derby, my family also moving away, the cost of trains on top of tickets etc just meant I can't afford to go anywhere near as much as I want to. And of the 4 people I used to go with, 3 have died, and the other lives even further away than me.

Luckily I have a very patient partner who is happy to go with me every now and then, as long as I pay. But sadly my days of having a season ticket are long over. Every time I go to a match I try and see who's sat in my seat. They best not be farting.

Been there, done that, T shirt dunt fit...

Friday to Sunday for a home game can cost me up to £500 with flights, hotel, train, ticket, food and drink. 6 to 8 games a season max is the most I can afford. Last season and this I've tended to save by not flying in until the Saturday morning.

March 2024, 3 of us over for the Reading game and staying for Bolton, 3 more arriving Friday for the Bolton game. We've decided to push the boat out and do the Toyota Package making this trip extra expensive. Come on Ewe Rams!!

17 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Been there, done that, T shirt dunt fit...

Friday to Sunday for a home game can cost me up to £500 with flights, hotel, train, ticket, food and drink. 6 to 8 games a season max is the most I can afford. Last season and this I've tended to save by not flying in until the Saturday morning.

March 2024, 3 of us over for the Reading game and staying for Bolton, 3 more arriving Friday for the Bolton game. We've decided to push the boat out and do the Toyota Package making this trip extra expensive. Come on Ewe Rams!!

Best hope Bolton don’t get to the quarter final of the FA cup then.

On 06/12/2023 at 07:03, FlyBritishMidland said:

Collins offers a lot to the team.  He works so hard off the ball.  There was on bit in around the 38th minute when he tracked back from his CF position to be virtually in the RB position to provide cover and stop a Fleetwood attack - @Owen87ITK mentioned it in his commentary.

Personally, I’d start him every game.  As a lone striker he makes the defence work hard, creates space, tires them (both mentally and physically) and, contrary to popular opinion, he does score goals.  The likes of JJ can replace him with fresh legs and exploit a tired defence.  In a pair, he creates the space and does the hard work to allow his partner to take advantage.

Unfortunately every football club has a rather strange breed of fan that would be better off sat in the pub all day long watching two OAP’s playing dominoes instead, and they would still complain that Charlie or George (see what I did there) hadn’t put down their double 6 quick enough or in the right place! 😂🤣😂🤣

Up James Collins.

Up The Rams 🐏

On 06/12/2023 at 12:01, ilkleyram said:

To take your jovial comment semi seriously,  as I get older I start thinking about the moment when I will be unable to watch us live any more - I live 80 or so miles away and have to drive to be able to get back home after a midweek or late kick off game. So while I can I still like to go. Telly ain’t the same however good ramstv may be. 
But oh boy do I wish the highways agency would not screw up both north/south routes at the same time and same area. They’re the sky tv of roadworks with their ignorance of travelling football fans. 

approx. 15km to Schiphol. 540km to Brum airport. 65km to Derby. I'm 2 months short of 70 and hope to be making the trip for a fair few years yet. I hope it being no longer financially feasible arrives earlier than it no longer being physically feasible.

2 hours ago, MadAmster said:

approx. 15km to Schiphol. 540km to Brum airport. 65km to Derby. I'm 2 months short of 70 and hope to be making the trip for a fair few years yet. I hope it being no longer financially feasible arrives earlier than it no longer being physically feasible.

Oh me too, @MadAmster, me too.  We are similar ages and I hope that I can carry on with my season ticket for many years yet. I just recognise though that that does depend on what happens to me and/or my (slightly older) wife if I can’t drive safely or she can’t be left alone, for example. Things start falling off in older age, sadly, often beyond control. 

I was one of the" frozen few" who made it and it was well worth a fiver (OAP)

First half we were dominant but first 15 of the second they found some energy (size 9 applied to the relevant players methinks) and had Marriot headed the ball towards our goal, instead of his own, this might have made us nervy.

They eventually ran out of steam but brought on nearly every sub they had to boost the energy level, but it also reduced the quality from them and once we got NML on the ball, his pace got us back in it and there was only ever gonna be one winner from there.

Lovely cameo from Weston again and it was his chasing of their keeper that had a part to play in the final goal, he is very quick and I think Warnes use of his and NML's pace against a tiring defence is what eventually made the game comfortable.

# footnote 

Their young (21) left back Montgomery was impressive until tiring a bit late on. Could be a relatively cheap shout for January to give Fozzie some competition

PS

I read £20,000 participation fee plus £10, 000 per win going up to £100,000 for winners, so not a bad nights work for a freezing weekday night in December

6 hours ago, silverback said:

I was one of the" frozen few" who made it and it was well worth a fiver (OAP)

First half we were dominant but first 15 of the second they found some energy (size 9 applied to the relevant players methinks) and had Marriot headed the ball towards our goal, instead of his own, this might have made us nervy.

They eventually ran out of steam but brought on nearly every sub they had to boost the energy level, but it also reduced the quality from them and once we got NML on the ball, his pace got us back in it and there was only ever gonna be one winner from there.

Lovely cameo from Weston again and it was his chasing of their keeper that had a part to play in the final goal, he is very quick and I think Warnes use of his and NML's pace against a tiring defence is what eventually made the game comfortable.

# footnote 

Their young (21) left back Montgomery was impressive until tiring a bit late on. Could be a relatively cheap shout for January to give Fozzie some competition

PS

I read £20,000 participation fee plus £10, 000 per win going up to £100,000 for winners, so not a bad nights work for a freezing weekday night in December

Agree, I thought Montgomery looked very promising. Be happy to sign home as a future replacement for fizzy.

Finally caught up on this one so, for what it's worth...

Good performance. I've seen some accusations of Derby taking the foot off the gas but Fleetwood only had one good chance - Marriott's header in the second half - and Derby could/should have been 2-0 up at half-time via Waghorn. We looked the much better team for 85 minutes really. And none of that 'but Fleetwood are rubbish' stuff - you can only play the team in front of you, and even rubbish teams can surprise you.

Wilson, Collins, Bird, & Cashin were excellent. Bradley had a very good game, please Lord may it continue.

Ward is looking better by the game, it's great that he offers an attacking right back option and can take good set pieces.

Well done to Josh Vickers - solid, good saves from the few chances they had. He looks like he could step up if anyone comes in for Wildsmith.

More broadly, it's a relief to see we have some strength-in-depth now. Having NML, Nelson, JJ, and Weston come on in the second half is quite luxurious. We were also without Nyambe, Fornah, Smith, Washington, Sibley, Thompson, Elder, and Rooney. Not too shabby.

Now please give Nyambe a contract, protect JJ from injury, and give Tony Weston more minutes...amen.