Crewe Alexandra versus Derby County - Match Day Thread ( FA Cup 1st Round )

S8TY

1 minute ago, Srg said:

So when you’ve got a good finisher on the bench who’s pretty good at having a go from outside the box, not bringing him on til really late makes sense does it? Or when you’re completely camped on top of them, but have no invention in the middle, you persist with Korey Smith, is that good management too?

Don't think the manager got much wrong today on the other hand the players decision making with the final ball wasn't the best 

4 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Couple flukey goals papers over the cracks of another poor performance.

Not sure how you justify the tactic of crossing the ball at every opportunity versus a back 3 and with Connor Washington up front on his own.

Warne then backed this up with his usual trick of waiting too long to make subs and switching between a back 3 and 4 at every available opportunity.

Was the second goal "flukey"?

Just now, Kinder said:

I’ve been out all day so missed the game. What did he do?

We played a very high line, with no pace in case we got hit on the break. He got exposed in a 2v2 when it wasn't really his fault.

Fozzy should have also done better, but where were the rest of the team? He was left hung out to dry imo.

14 minutes ago, DCFC1976 said:

Did Crewe really have 6-7 regular first team players absent?

Yep, I've seen the notes, 1 because they were visiting their Nana, 1 had scraped his knee, 1 had to Babysit, 2 are going to a Bonfire party, 1 was Grounded and the last 1 was his kit was still wet.

10 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Didn’t get a chance to watch or listen to the game…

Can anyone briefly summarise it, with the emotion taken out of it? 

Because the stats suggest we dominated etc but everyone online seems to be fuming. 

Not everyone. 

Just spoke to my hubby who was at the game and he thought a draw was the least we deserved (with the caveat that we are rubbish at defending!) 

Of course he has the advantage of not being part of the hysteria being whipped up here. He was watching the football.

34 minutes ago, GeneralRam said:

I’m ashamed of myself I actually got annoyed we equalised. I’ve never thought this about Derby, ever.

That man is ruining our club 😭 

Put whatever device your using to post these messages down. Walk to the nearest mirror and take a good hard look at yourself. 

If you want us to lose, then, you're the problem.

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

I thought the way they set up with defenders sitting high across the front of their box stopped us playing those little through balls and channelled us exactly where they wanted us - out wide. The crosses we then put in were high and suited their defenders rather than our attackers.

This was particularly noticeable first half.

Second half we mixed it up by going inside sometimes, and played less high crosses but more cut-backs when we were wide.

I am happy for you to disagree with me, but that's what I thought I saw. 

In the second half all I saw was us camping in their half with our midfielders taking too many touches in the middle and being too slow to fashion a ball on the inside before playing the ball out wide and crossing it in. The front line were so static which only made things harder.  It's precisely why Crewe reserves found it so easy to defend against. I only counted once from 65 minutes onwards where we actually moved the ball through the middle into the box via a dummy from bird and it almost came off. 

Just now, angieram said:

Not everyone. 

Just spoke to my hubby who was at the game and he thought a draw was the least we deserved (with the caveat that we are rubbish at defending!) 

Of course he has the advantage of not being part of the hysteria being whipped up here. He was watching the football.

You can spend this evening filling him in on what he's meant to think.

1 minute ago, The Running Man said:

Put whatever device your using to post these messages down. Walk to the nearest mirror and take a good hard look at yourself. 

If you want us to lose, then, you're the problem.

The fault of results and performances on the pitch is entirely limited to the staff and players. That's the problem, not a post from a disgruntled fan on a message board.

26 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

I beg to differ

Derby...shots 33...8 on target...13 corners...635 passes and 71.2 possession, I think the players need to look at the stats 😊

We are slow and predictable   ... and could easily have lost this game. Crewe surrendered possession  to us. Sibley and or Wilson should have been brought on earlier  to provide more variety in our attack. . The large number of shots could been seen as negative given as so many of the crosses and shots we had were ineffective, predictable  often not on target and caused their goalkeeper no problems  until the very end.. 

9 minutes ago, Kinder said:

I’ve been out all day so missed the game. What did he do?

Played very poorly , and was at fault for the second goal, you will be able to make your own mind up though when you watch the highlights.

Edited by WystonRam

12 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Couple flukey goals papers over the cracks of another poor performance.

Not sure how you justify the tactic of crossing the ball at every opportunity versus a back 3 and with Connor Washington up front on his own.

Warne then backed this up with his usual trick of waiting too long to make subs and switching between a back 3 and 4 at every available opportunity.

Performance wasn't poor imo and don't see how our 2nd was a fluke but maybe that's what some like to think to fit their agendas 

please someone teach Collins how to stay onside....

another frustrating one. more clinical finishing and it would have been over in the first half.

full credit to the players for keeping going until the death!

what bothers me more than anything else is that the players don't seem to be enjoying themselves, and I think that's a reflection of the fans constantly  getting on their backs. 

21 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Didn’t get a chance to watch or listen to the game…

Can anyone briefly summarise it, with the emotion taken out of it? 

Because the stats suggest we dominated etc but everyone online seems to be fuming. 

Yes. We got a variation on “whack it wide and lump crosses in to no-one”. This time it was play football for the first two thirds, then sharp right or left to whack it out to the wings to lump in crosses to no-one. So nothing mew really, apart from Paul Warne outdoing people on the forum for tactics, because loads of people think we played a possession-based game of football played on the ground. The two main times we kept the ball on the ground resulted in the two goals.

That’s about it, really. Nothing has changed.