January Reinforcements

sage

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

Would you say he would provide better cover than we have when we play 3 at the back

Wouldn’t really like to say without watching him again. But I’m not a big fan of any of our centre mids so to play the law of averages I’d say yes.

On 11/01/2024 at 22:02, rammieib said:

What does Smith bring that Collins doesn’t?

Judging by the stats above, he's very good in the air, wins the ball a lot and actually touches the ball in the opposing area.

So maybe quite similar to Collins but I assume he'd be a backup #9. Collins can't play every minute of the remaining 21 league matches, and there maybe times where he needs a partner. Smith scored 16 from 39 in League One last season, so it seems like he knows how to score at this level. 7-8 goals would be a great return, it's more than Brown is likely to get, and who knows when Washington will be match-fit.

A loan until June seems a pretty safe, if unexciting, deal! 

39 minutes ago, Gabby'sThighs said:

Judging by the stats above, he's very good in the air, wins the ball a lot and actually touches the ball in the opposing area.

So maybe quite similar to Collins but I assume he'd be a backup #9. Collins can't play every minute of the remaining 21 league matches, and there maybe times where he needs a partner. Smith scored 16 from 39 in League One last season, so it seems like he knows how to score at this level. 7-8 goals would be a great return, it's more than Brown is likely to get, and who knows when Washington will be match-fit.

A loan until June seems a pretty safe, if unexciting, deal! 

Don’t know if I’d say unexciting, a 6 month loan would be a great deal. 

think I seen he has 4 league one promotions and around 150 senior goals.  

Certainly seems to know what it takes to score in and get out of the league. 

I think CBT and Michael Smith would be good signings and fill gaps where we're lacking in this team. If we can also add a younger, mobile CM, even if it's someone like Charlie Savage who wouldn't necessarily be a starting player week in, week out, then that should hopefully be enough.

Going forward for the rest of the season I'd like to use Korey Smith as a back-up RB, I think he has looked better there than he has in the middle and offers more stability than Ward or Wilson who are more attacking.

It would give us the attacking options of NML, CBT, Wilson, Ward, Barkhuizen, Collins, Smith and TJJ. That might end up being too many, but we'd win games from the strength of our bench alone. We didn't have depth last season and it cost us because we looked knackered by the end. If we don't have that problem, then there's no reason we can't finish top 2 this year.

Its Nixon that's opened up the story/rumour on Smith, but I'm sure Sheffield Weds stated last week that he's not for sale. Perhaps it might be a loan deal that could be on the table, especially that he still has until June 2025 on his contract. So I'm guessing that we could'nt buy him and also buy CBT. Also think CBT would be the better option, being younger, a scorer of goals and makes assists. Smith, so far got just 3 goals in 14 league apps.

41 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Its Nixon that's opened up the story/rumour on Smith, but I'm sure Sheffield Weds stated last week that he's not for sale. Perhaps it might be a loan deal that could be on the table, especially that he still has until June 2025 on his contract. So I'm guessing that we could'nt buy him and also buy CBT. Also think CBT would be the better option, being younger, a scorer of goals and makes assists. Smith, so far got just 3 goals in 14 league apps.

Nixon is stating its a loan we're after

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Max Dean is a player to keep an eye on. Signed from Leeds last January, but only got regular starts for MK Dons in October. He's now got 9 goals and 1 assist in his last 14 games (including a goal vs Reading in the FA Cup).

image.png.a2b372b7ea5d6c126656c17ebf8f786d.png

He looks like he's fed up with all the roundabouts in Milton Keynes

On 11/01/2024 at 12:41, Wolfie20 said:

Are you suggesting we 'gamble' along with the likes of Oxford? If they fail to go up having spent more than was originally budgeted for then they are going to be in even more of a straight jacket next season.

I'd be really disappointed if Clowes went down this path just to satisfy the aspirations of a few fans and don't for one minute think he will.

Just on our financial situation - I don't think we're gambling but our gradual increase to the budget each season is financed by our newish rich owners. It isn't lobbing money that doesn't exist at it, rather an increase to playing budget that is far greater than we have seen under previous ownerships as they have the ability to provide it. Wages are up, but we aren't in a position to go and throw many substantial fees around. We have historically needed a chunky sale or two every season to help with the budget but the new ownership has meant this is less imperative but every club at this level is a selling club if a sizeable offer comes in.

Current owners completed their takeover in September 2022, having been part of the board and minority shareholders prior to that. They're in a different ballpark of ownership to anything we've ever experienced which is why someone like Cam Brannagan is on the highest wage packet in the club's history as part of his new deal signed when Blackpool had triggered his previous release clause prior to the 22/23 season. They are also funding the new stadium project with planning application due in imminently.

In this window so far, we've seen 4 season long loans ended early due to recall and injury, as well as a player move on permanently. 2 half season loans have come in, so budget wise we've still got room to manoeuvre in this window. I don't believe there is any increase expected unless a player suddenly becomes available that the manager and board want to push the boat out for.

Elsewhere in the league, Charlton's new owners seem to be keen to spend some money with the JCH and Ladapo interest as well as the fees spent on Conor Coventry and Macaulay Gillesphey. Bolton seem to be able to strengthen as required, not sure on their financial situation any more whilst Peterborough always seem to work on selling a player a season to fund additions from lower down the period. 

3 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Crying out for a ball carrying CM, we were lucky tonight, when we're up against it the midfield goes hiding.

There must be a young, combative midfielder playing for a Premier League club who is just itching for 6 months of first team football and a promotion on his CV at the end, mustn't there?

Nothing against TJJ, but if we had a midfielder like that in place of him tonight, I think we'd have been a lot more comfortable. This team is ironically crying out for a Jason Knight type player, we just don't have enough energy in the middle right now.

10 minutes ago, Kernow said:

There must be a young, combative midfielder playing for a Premier League club who is just itching for 6 months of first team football and a promotion on his CV at the end, mustn't there?

Nothing against TJJ, but if we had a midfielder like that in place of him tonight, I think we'd have been a lot more comfortable. This team is ironically crying out for a Jason Knight type player, we just don't have enough energy in the middle right now.

TJJ needs to be played off the last man, his movement is wasted how he's being played, can see he's not got the confidence for what he's being asked to do.

Agreed has to be someone out there that's not scared to run through the middle.

So Warnes post match points 

- Wouldn't deny we’re going for CBT (obvious I know)

- JJ is staying till the end is the season 

- he’s going to watch a player he wants tomorrow night. 

my top guesses for players tomorrow night are Owen Moxon and Davis Keillor-Dunn.

2 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

So Warnes post match points 

- Wouldn't deny we’re going for CBT (obvious I know)

- JJ is staying till the end is the season 

- he’s going to watch a player he wants tomorrow night. 

my top guesses for players tomorrow night are Owen Moxon and Davis Keillor-Dunn.

He say out about being close to CBT