Sibley too good!

Brammie Steve

16 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Obviously…

IMG_6702.png

Obviously deliberately chosen to replace "Like I/you said" which he uses much less these days. Whoever does the media training needs replacing. As a retired English teacher, I'd take the job on.

This leads me to another pet hate... I hear more and more people unable to pronounce the "th" letter combination correctly. Think becomes "fink". Bother becomes "bovver". This becomes "dis" or "vis". Do they not teach articulation these days at school?

23 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Obviously deliberately chosen to replace "Like I/you said" which he uses much less these days. Whoever does the media training needs replacing. As a retired English teacher, I'd take the job on.

This leads me to another pet hate... I hear more and more people unable to pronounce the "th" letter combination correctly. Think becomes "fink". Bother becomes "bovver". This becomes "dis" or "vis". Do they not teach articulation these days at school?

They probably don't have extensive media training, it's not exactly a vital part of their job. I also don't really expect footballers to be eloquent speakers, they're obviously going to stick to the vernacular for the most part.

Also, have you ever been on camera or interviewed at all? You do end up repeating yourself and getting stuck on phrases a lot, it's just a thing that happens, even when you have a pretentiously extensive vocabulary like myself 😉

40 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

My pet hate also. I hate doing it but my stepson says 'bovvered' and 'Fink' So I have to ask if that is with 2 V's or is that a capital F? .

I also hate when the T's get left out of words these days - better becomes Be'er (I can't even bloody write it)

3 hours ago, YorkshireRam said:

They probably don't have extensive media training, it's not exactly a vital part of their job. I also don't really expect footballers to be eloquent speakers, they're obviously going to stick to the vernacular for the most part.

Also, have you ever been on camera or interviewed at all? You do end up repeating yourself and getting stuck on phrases a lot, it's just a thing that happens, even when you have a pretentiously extensive vocabulary like myself 😉

As a matter of fact yes, I have been on camera and interviewed in both English and Dutch. In my own training business and also teaching at school (before I retired) I taught presentation and communication techniques as part of both Computer Science and English Language lessons.

3 hours ago, BathRam72 said:

My pet hate also. I hate doing it but my stepson says 'bovvered' and 'Fink' So I have to ask if that is with 2 V's or is that a capital F? .

I also hate when the T's get left out of words these days - better becomes Be'er (I can't even bloody write it)

When I was teaching, I was the only English teacher at the Dutch school and sports college that taught UK English. The rest did the US variety. I was the only one who spent lessons early doors with 1st years teaching them phonetics so they got their English pronunciation correct.

Each and every sound we make is formed by a combination of mouth shape, tongue position, use or not of the throat..... easy when you know how. Problem is it's just not taught anymore.

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

You must uv loved Gary Rowett ven.

42 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

When I was teaching, I was the only English teacher at the Dutch school and sports college that taught UK English. The rest did the US variety. I was the only one who spent lessons early doors with 1st years teaching them phonetics so they got their English pronunciation correct.

Each and every sound we make is formed by a combination of mouth shape, tongue position, use or not of the throat..... easy when you know how. Problem is it's just not taught anymore.

My wife is an English teacher. She teaches phonetics and how to sound words etc.

I think the problem is once these kids get out into society and the language is degraded due to laziness and TEXT speak. Unfortunately.

Even the publishes are now adding text speak into their dictionaries.

I know language evolves, but I think we are just getting lazy.

59 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

As a matter of fact yes, I have been on camera and interviewed in both English and Dutch. In my own training business and also teaching at school (before I retired) I taught presentation and communication techniques as part of both Computer Science and English Language lessons.

FFS your too clever to be on this forum lol 🙈😉

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

I thought you seemed familiar...image.thumb.png.05937a5ffd9a9591370d17291bc53c6d.png

Posted (edited)

My brother Mozza went to Hillside school close to Louie’s home. He was taught to speak impeccable English that even professor Higgins would be impressed to hear!

Don’t underestimate the education system! Blame the company one keeps!

Edited by Brammie Steve

52 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Another decent performance from Louie today, he’s making that LWB berth his own 

The position suits him as he is much better when receiving the ball in front of him to run on to. His best games that I have seen have been at LB or Wing back.

On 08/03/2024 at 13:35, MadAmster said:

Don’t get me started on use of English. The number of posters who write “must of, could of”, instead of  “have” or “they was good, or We was rubbish” instead of “were”. Grrrr.

Edited by Turk Thrust

2 hours ago, Sufferingfool said:

The position suits him as he is much better when receiving the ball in front of him to run on to. His best games that I have seen have been at LB or Wing back.

Said it before. In a wider ranging midfield role Sibley can look good on the ball but is too often awol because he doesn’t take up the right positions, whether we’re in or out of possession.  So when we’re in possession he doesn’t get the ball and when we’re out of position he flies around chasing the ball and often conceding fouls. But stick him on the wing and it’s easier for him to be in the right place his role is clearer and more obvious (just to pick a word), so it suits him better. The other place he tends to find good positions is in the oppo’s box