Derby v Shrewsbury (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

Credit Hourihane for having some bottle. He epitomises the bits and pieces squad we have. Some relatively good athletes who are not good on the ball (Smith, Fornah etc) and some good players who aren’t athletic enough (Hourihane, Bird, Thompson). And too many that are neither (Cashin, Collins, Waghorn). The squad is nowhere near as good as some folks think, and the academy delivers what exactly ? I would argue no more than other L1 clubs. With a limited budget that is a tough job for anyone, but I’d still expect more than Warne can conjure.

It’s ready made for someone who can squeeze something out of nothing. We may need to make plans for Nigel.

Edited by Matchday Fred

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Because I’ve now watched over 60 matches in this division and have seen the quality of the other teams. I’ve then looked at the fact that the 3 best teams by far last year went up and were replaced by much weaker competition. On top of that the bookies have us favourites to win the league before a ball has been kicked and you don’t see many poor bookies. We also further strengthened the squad after the bookies placed us top. 

But the biggest thing is that I’ve seen the Portsmouth match where their squad didn’t look better than ours aside from Bishop being better than anything we have up top. 

As soon as people start mentioning the bookies as having us favourites then that smacks to me of clutching at straws

13 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I wasn't following today as I went to see the mighty Winchester City lose 1-2 at home to Harrow.

Just one question tho.... can folks see a route to a better outcome? 

Honestly, I can. But, it would need (at least) an extra season to get players in who can play in the system Warne demands. In the meantime, we lose Bird, Sibley, Cashin, and promising youngsters within the academy.

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

As soon as people start mentioning the bookies as having us favourites then that smacks to me of clutching at straws

Give me a good reason why Warne is the answer to us getting promotion. 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Honestly, I can. But, it would need (at least) an extra season to get players in who can play in the system Warne demands. In the meantime, we lose Bird, Sibley, Cashin, and promising youngsters within the academy.

Give me a good reason why Warne is the answer to us getting promotion. 

I don't have to.

By the same token you don't have to give me a reason why getting rid of him will guarantee promotion.

19 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

Credit Hourihane for having some bottle. He epitomises the bits and pieces squad we have. Some relatively good athletes who are not good on the ball (Smith, Fornah etc) and some good players who aren’t athletic enough (Hourihane, Bird, Thompson). And too many that are neither (Cashin, Collins, Waghorn). The squad is nowhere near as good as some folks think, and the academy delivers what exactly ? I would argue no more than other L1 clubs. With a limited budget that is a tough job for anyone, but I’d still expect more than Warne can conjure.

It’s ready made for someone who can squeeze something out of nothing. We may need to make plans for Nigel.

'bits and pieces squad'? 

We have the highest squad value in the league. 

8 players who were playing in the Championship last season.

Cashin was very close to signing for PL Brighton, and Bird would've signed for Championship Hull if he hadn't got injured.

6 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

Aye but the only thing that is relevant is what that high value squad (whatever that means) does on the pitch today. Last year is not relevant. Too many are way overrated, Cashin included. Too short,too heavy, too slow, cannot pass a ball.

I respect your opinion, but why would Brighton be trying to sign Cashin if he's overrated? They seem to be quite good at judging players.

Too heavy? isn't our manger a former fitness coach? why is he letting our players get overweight?

Too Short? apart from Smith and Sibley, I think our entire team was minimum 5ft11. 

Bird and Hourihane are excellent passers, especially at this level. We could do with some more. Warne doesn't seem to value passing ability much in recruitment 

I agree we could do with more pace, but NML, Barkhuizen, Wilson are quick

7 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Eh? One of about 4 reasons and you’ve zoned in on it. 
You also changed the goalposts repeatedly during this exchange. 

‘your team hasn’t got Collins in’ 

‘yeh I made it based on yesterdays squad’ 

‘your team has 3 players in that didn’t start yesterday’ 

‘I made it based on the match day squad from yesterday as they were all available to Warne’ 

‘okay but how do you know they’re good enough for top 2?’ 

*lists several reasons - of which one includes referencing the bookies. 

‘ah you mentioned the bookies. Discussion over you straw grabber’ 

Its unreal. 

7 hours ago, Matchday Fred said:

We’ve got a squad most managers would dream of in this division 😂

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

That's correct.

And now - food for thought.

Are the people calling for his head willing to chuck a tenner in to pay his severance pay? The consensus seems to be that everybody, or at least the majority, according to @MackworthRamIsGod, want him gone. So let's say 15,000 people from our (dwindling) average home attendance all chuck a tenner in, that'll be £150,000 - a nice little earner, but probably less than 6 months salary.

Warne's still got 3 years or so on his contract, so even if my conservative (spit) estimate is half way to the correct ball-park, that'll be half a million to get rid. Chuck in his backroom and you can at least double that if you want a clean break before we start again - with no guarantees that his replacement will engineer any immediate improvement.

Stick him on gardening leave and hope he doesn’t want to be out of work for 2 years… surely a Wycombe or another ‘punch above our weight’ type club would come in for him? 

10 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Apparently according to a Rams Facebook group post Hourihane was saying that the players were doing the best they could with how they are being told to play, which many of us have suspected has been the case. So did the bus driver spot Warne's body a it was hurtling under his vehicle? Will Hourihane ever play for Derby again?

Did you miss seeing this Dave?

We are polar opposite of last season where we got results against the poorer teams and not better teams but this season our records against poorer/smaller teams is shocking. Spent all summer recruiting for 352 and in some ways our best performance has been in a 352 against Blackpool but the 2 performances since that poor. The gaping holes in midfield first half yesterday was scary

8 hours ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I respect your opinion, but why would Brighton be trying to sign Cashin if he's overrated? They seem to be quite good at judging players.

Too heavy? isn't our manger a former fitness coach? why is he letting our players get overweight?

Too Short? apart from Smith and Sibley, I think our entire team was minimum 5ft11. 

Bird and Hourihane are excellent passers, especially at this level. We could do with some more. Warne doesn't seem to value passing ability much in recruitment 

I agree we could do with more pace, but NML, Barkhuizen, Wilson are quick

Brighton have probably the best recruitment team in the country so I agree they know what they're doing judging players. 

I think cashin just looks like that because he is one of very few players these days that still tuck their shirt in

Martinez won the world cup for argentina and he's 5ft 7. Cashin has a great jump so personally I think the height argument is not too relevant. 

other than the forwards,i dont think we have a bad squad,the back five i would say are the best in the league by far,the midfield,if allowed to play must be up there too,but when you play the slowest strikers in the league and tell them to play more in your own penalty box than the oppositions,there is no outlet and we are under siege.no team can hold out under such bombardment, we are going to concede at some point.we simply have to leave somebody up top for an outlet and stop all the opposition going forward

11 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

He’s entitled by contract but surely there comes a stage where professional courtesy comes in to play. 

Stinking out the joint and making everyone’s lives miserable just for a extra few pennies is poor form in my opinion.

Only a few know what's in the contract, I'd have to guess that Pearce was the negotiator with PWs agent(if he has one)DC I'd hope would steer clear of all the shenanigans that go hand in hand with contract talks, PW is DCs man, Now how much DC wanted PW shows only to well with a huge 4 year contract, There would be things that PW wants and there would be things that DCFC want, Security is what PW wanted and got.

The scary thing for me is PW was in the box seat as DC wanted this man, When someone comes calling for your services you rub both hands together and have a huge smile on your face...happy days, As you say Tom he's entitled to his full pay if sacked and his entourage too, The guy we got from Oxford to scout talent WTF and how has that worked out, Look at our bench when the game kicks off there is his assistant in Barker, A couple or 3 coaches, 2 physios/medicals, Kit man with Uncle Tom Cobley and all this will come at a huge cost, DC has got a problem I'd guess, As for PW and co the old saying "pride goes before a fall" has no bearing in this case, If he does decide to walk...where's his next pay check going to be?

The Derby players are holding the cards, They are showing them this season with performances of little quality, Some energy and a lot of talk, Several posters saying another manager would get better performances from this squad...will he?  

Few random thoughts from yesterday now the dust has settled.

Wildsmith back to his best and but for his efforts it was a much worse defeat.

Full backs both did ok defensively but offered little threat going forward.

Nelson was ok. 

Cashin poor in my opinion. Got dumped on his arse a couple of times. Passing woeful. Looking like we've missed a trick with not taking £4m from Brighton.

Midfield, other than Bird, who is the only player that looks capable of doing anything creative or exciting, were pretty poor.

Sibley, as usual when starting, was largely anonymous.

Barkhuizen probably our biggest attacking threat.

Collins always seems to be everywhere other than where he should be. Think the longest he spent in shot was when he was arguing with the ref about a foul on Wildsmith in our area. Think that pretty much sums things up about him. 

Out of the subs, Hourihane was probably the best but only really based on effort rather than any telling contribution...other than his goal!

Warne has got to have the balls to front up to the fans after that performance. Throwing the lambs to the slaughter will inevitably not end well for him.

Looked to me like Shrewsbury had moved the touchline in 5 yards, knowing that would ruin Warne's one and only plan.

Referee had a stinker, with some really bizarre decisions. However, until retrospective action is taken against cheats, like their forward, they will continue to have an impossibly hard job.