Derby v Notts County (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Lazy git. Just Google it. 😀

16 groups of 4 teams made up of league 1, league 2 and 16 invited cat 1 academy teams. 

Top two from each group go through to the knockout rounds. So, we’re through to the last 32 and the first knock out stage.

Guilty as charged.

Usually my man sorts out my information demands.....

Watch the game on tv tonight. Enjoyed it, thought we could have been 3 or 4 up at half time, deserved win, gave away a silly penalty, Sibbo and Bird played well, also thought Bradley had his best game for Derby, Vickers also looked good off his line, and played with confidence, we have a nice little unbeaten run going, lets keep this going an till the next international break, and see where we are then. Also good support from the away fans, as well. 

Edited by DerbyAleMan

27 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Could see Clowes getting quite angry with Warne for his non existent youth policy. What's the point in Clowes spending millions a year on a Category A academy if Warne is going to give them 2 minutes in the Papa Johns Trophy? Frustrates me to no end.

Warne raised a good point pre game about not throwing youth players in when they aren’t ready and actually you can argue that it’s not had that many benefits over the last few seasons. Did it benefit Bird, Sibley, Whittaker or Knight to be seen as first team regulars before they were 21? Other clubs with top academies dont scatter their side with young players, they might have one or two who can learn around good players, so it’s more about waiting until a player is ready.

Also maybe consider that the ones who would have come through now (Ebiowei, Kellyman, Gordon plus!) we’re are sold off and the U21’s had a dreadful time of it last season. Are we better to let the 17/18 years olds try and have a more normal season, we are probably better letting players like Robinson be around a more settled environment rather than pushing them into the first team environment right now.

Sorry to jump on a bit of a random comment, we all want academy players going into the first team but I think there’s a lot more to consider than just throwing young players in for the sake of it.

We Created very dangerous chances. It was nice that we created the second by playing out from the back. Played some good stuff at times. Second half we played ourselves into trouble a few times. Bird is a joy to watch. 

I bet it’s so exciting to be a Notts fan at the moment. Top of their league and knocking it around so so well. Jealous of the way they played it around at times, every player wanting the ball. They’d easily sit mid table in our division playing like that. 

4 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

We Created very dangerous chances. It was nice that we created the second by playing out from the back. Played some good stuff at times. Second half we played ourselves into trouble a few times. Bird is a joy to watch. 

I bet it’s so exciting to be a Notts fan at the moment. Top of their league and knocking it around so so well. Jealous of the way they played it around at times, every player wanting the ball. They’d easily sit mid table in our division playing like that. 

Will be honest with you I was in the Derek Pavis stand with the County fans and they were getting bored rigid with them passing the ball to death at times. 

Prime example when there were about 4 minutes of extra time left and instead of launching it went back to the keeper, wide, back to keeper again. You could hear the audible groans.

Edited by Tyler Durden

21 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

First half we played County off the park unless you were watching a different game to me.

Second half we regressed substantially which was worrying

First half we tore them apart on a few occasions creating brilliant chances that we failed to capitalise on however on balance I’d say they’d have been happier with the general play and at 0-0 they worked it down the side and McGoldrick had a shot well blocked from 8 yards out. Their player had also missed a free hit on the half volley from around 14 yards out at 0-0 too. 

There was a lot of really good attacks from us today particularly in the first half but we were countering them for large portions of the game. There were times when we camped in their half but it felt like we were waiting to win the ball back and breaking which is where our biggest chances came from. 

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Will be honest with you I was in the Derek Pavis stand with the County fans and they were getting bored rigid with them passing the ball to death at times. 

Prime example when there were about 4 minutes of extra time left and instead of launching it went back to the keeper, wide, back to keeper again. You could hear the audible groans.

I understand that because our fans were the same under Rosenior but I’d have been buzzing if that was what our second string did against a team supposedly challenging in the top end of the division above us. 

Just got back , enjoyed the game with both teams playing the ball about on the ground.From a distance it looked like we could have had 2 red cards. I think Sibley needs to take Collins for some shooting practice. Never seen a player miss 3 good chances in one minute. Warne has told the players “They are failing by not being in the top 6”. Got to start taking more of our chances.

14 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Forum seems very empty tonight...either it's because it's a school night or everyone has blocked me.

Probably the latter. 

Probably a few reasons mainly being this competition is pants

it wasn’t even a strong Notts county team they put out, I was surprised we risked so many first teamers ourselves

Will have one final whinge about the amount of just vitriol from the stands.

Teenagers still of school age just F’ing every other word. Bloke behind me wouldn’t stop calling the ball boys lazy C words. 

Collins constantly referred to as a lazy txxt- I mean he misses chances but the last thing he can be described as is lazy! 

It made a match I was looking forward to quite an unenjoyable experience. 

‘you F’ing D*ck McGoldrick - someone kill him’ was another pearl of wisdom. 

I know this is probably just me getting old but when I went to away games with my mates at that age it wasn’t like that. You’d give some of the old wrist shakin and middle fingers to the home support and sneak a beer in but it wasn’t a competition for how many times the C word could be used in a match. 

8 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

There's absolutely no reason why Brown couldn't have replaced Collins with 30 minutes left to go. Collins was absolutely useless today.

There is. They were still in the game and it would have been a lot to ask him to play 30 mins as a lone striker. If it had been 2 up front, he could have come on earlier with someone alongside him. The penalty probably cost him another 10 mins on the pitch.  

10 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

There's absolutely no reason why Brown couldn't have replaced Collins with 30 minutes left to go. Collins was absolutely useless today.

I think you missed my entire point, purposefully, so it’s maybe best to leave it there.

Sorry I couldn’t contribute much tonight. My wife had a knee replacement op today so I could neither go or watch on Rams tv. I listened to a few minutes on Radio Derby, but mostly I got my match info from this forum. Thanks guys!

It sounds like first half we did well, then back ourselves into our usual cat and mouse counter-attacking for the second half with Notts having most of the ball.

It also sounds like we could, on snother day, have had a couple of red cards, so yet another crap ref! 🤪