Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

20 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

There's a difference between wanting something different (aka "Better"!) and vitriolic demands for heads to be hoisted on sticks!.

How about unity?  All in it together?  Fight to the end?  Fist-pumpin' encouragement? 
How about just turning away, and counting to 10 to calm the f*** down?
How about they just walk away in silent disgust, if they feel that strongly? 

Even our most loyal band of travelling brothers (and sisters) don't have any divine right to dish out personal abuse to the club's hierarchy and/or employees (Which is what I am reading this morning?  No idea how true this is?)  
I'd even argue that such reaction does more harm than good... to the club as a whole... but I appreciate some may argue that point.

How about I turn to these "So-called supporters" and start singing "Get out of our club" to them? 
I appreciate I'd get a bloodied nose, but would I also be accused of being unfair towards them, or would I have a right to express such an opinion?

I have no issues with fans booing at the end of a game if it genuinely hasn’t been good enough or saying that it was rubbish for example. Fans don’t have many avenues to make their thoughts known.

I do think personal abuse and F’ing and B’ing at players and the manager is unacceptable and shouldn’t be happening. I don’t think Warne is doing a good job but I don’t think I need to insult him personally because of that.  

I think we’ve demonstrated that we can show unity in recent seasons but the difference there is it felt like every bit of talent was being squeezed out of the ragtag teams Rooney was having to put out. Don’t forget we’d have stayed up without the points deductions with academy lads and frees that no one else in the division wanted.

I’d be surprised if that same level of unity didn’t return the moment that we start to see the same level of return on the talent in the squad. 

My support for derby is unconditional. My enthusiasm isn’t. 

Edited by IlsonDerby

I'm a little surprised about the performance. I genuinely thought we turned the corner and found a system that works well that blends our technical players and Warnes simple tactical play. I thought the lads strolled up, didn't take their chances and Cheltenham quite rightly had a bigger hunger due to them not wanting a horrible record in their history book. We completely underestimated the opposition and that's why we didn't win.

Warne has to back his team in post match interviews, you can't in this day and age be critical of your own players in public and expect any changes. Thought he came across very arrogant in the Radio Derby interview. Some of the questions were a little awkward but I don't appreciate the sarcasm when talking about putting Bradley on to win a goal from a set piece, over potentially putting Sibley on the pitch. No need for it, stupid remark. Gained nothing.

He seemed far too happy about a point gained and protecting the unbeaten run. You've got the biggest wage budget in this division, the best resources by far to get this club to the Championship. If you can't put in a half decent performance against a club who's top earner probably earns less than our lowest paid squad player, difficult questions are going to be asked by folks. As much as want us to go under the radar, we're a big favourite for promotion. There is nowhere to hide.

I keep hearing Warne going on about the league table, another naff result and we're stuck in mid table. The main positive however is we're unbeaten, that's what the manager is clinging on to. Without this, he would be getting more negative criticism from the supporters. We've got plenty of winnable games this month, we have to start pulling away from the rest of the pack and asking questions of our promotion rivals.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Stats say around 100 long balls with only 44% reaching their target. 

A forest fan could count the good performances we had under MAC1 on one hand. 

surely you don’t genuinely believe we have anything other than a top 2/3 budget? 

I don't know what our budget is compared to others in this division but I've never seen any information about it so just like everyone else I'd be guessing 

1 hour ago, Rampant said:

100% agree with this. Bird is as classy a midfielder as there is in L1. Utilise him in his best role and play it on the deck. Smith too can pick a pass. Fornah, Bird and Smith should be the fulcrum of our play.

I'm not in the Warne out camp  - his signing of Nyambe and Fornah buy him extra time for me - but the overall style of play needs to improve and should be better with the relative quality of our squad compared to most in this division. 

Absolutely spot on…………..early contender for post of the day!👍🐏

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

And yet there are enough examples of a good manager getting better results out of a squad players than the previous manager, are there not?

Right then Roy so your theory is get warnock in an this team is capable of a mid table finish in the championship 

1 hour ago, WarneOut said:

I’m still fuming that we conceded a goal to a team that has been unable to score against literally anyone else.

We’re a laughing stock and the responsibility for that lies completely with Warne.

Not all of our problems lie with warn some of the players we're p**s poor yesterday 

Having just watched the highlights back (which omit a couple of other half chances our profligate forward line failed to take) I genuinely don’t get those who are saying the overall performance wasn’t good enough. The result wasn’t good enough, but we created enough chances to win the game.

There was passing football, we did keep the ball on the floor at times and played it long at others, we did open them up both down the channels and through the middle, we failed to take the chances created. There’s no way, in the cold light of day, that performance is as bad as some make out. Their goal comes from us tarting around at the back and failing to clear it long, the one thing lots of people claim is the only thing this team does. 
The result was not good enough, the performance should have seen us win. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

13 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I have no issues with fans booing at the end of a game if it genuinely hasn’t been good enough or saying that it was rubbish for example. Fans don’t have many avenues to make their thoughts known.

I do think personal abuse and F’ing and B’ing at players and the manager is unacceptable and shouldn’t be happening. I don’t think Warne is doing a good job but I don’t think I need to insult him personally because of that.  

I think we’ve demonstrated that we can show unity in recent seasons but the difference there is it felt like every bit of talent was being squeezed out of the ragtag teams Rooney was having to put out. Don’t forget we’d have stayed up without the points deductions with academy lads and frees that no one else in the division wanted.

I’d be surprised if that same level of unity didn’t return the moment that we start to see the same level of return on the talent in the squad. 

My support for derby is unconditional. My enthusiasm isn’t. 

Saying that fans don't have many avenues to make their thoughts known is really unfortunate....there's this forum, there's Twitter or X, there's the recent fans forum at Pride Park, there's Instagram....

With all these avenues to be able to express themselves I do find it disappointing that certain fans can't feedback their thoughts without it descending into personal abuse which I totally agree with you on.

Says more about the "fans" then anything connected with the club. 

1 hour ago, On the Ram Page said:

Rubbish! Name me another Manager who agrees who doesn’t get “prickly” if they get challenged about the way they do things? He behaves just like you!

In my professional environment I behave very differently from what I do on this forum as you might expect. This after all, is an ultimately anonymous social setting where we can be combative. We are not acting in a professional capacity representing the club or arguably fighting for our job. If the manager can't give an adequate explanation as to why he's not playing one of our best attacking players that is a cause for concern. If he can't field a simple tactical question without his back getting up that also makes me wonder is he like this if his players disagree? If so, how does that make them feel? I would say when Warne gets questions asking about tactics and selections he gets more prickly than a lot of other managers we've had tbh in their post-match pressers from what I remember. 

Nope..slept on it and I am still furious about yesterday’s match. I rarely comment on this forum, but I enjoy the comments and banter. Living just outside Cheltenham, this game is a bit special for us, with some of us living within walking distance of Whaddon Road and rarely being able to get tickets for away games. So we had 6 seats in the Cheltenham fans. 

Furious, because for the first 20 minutes of the second half Max Bird ran the game from central midfield and we had Cheltenham on the ropes. Then inexplicably Bird gets moved forward to the number 10 role to accommodate the ineffective Hourihane. After that we should still have won it against such poor opposition, but to move Bird was tactically inept and made us less effective.

41 minutes ago, SSD said:

I keep hearing Warne going on about the league table, another naff result and we're stuck in mid table. The main positive however is we're unbeaten, that's what the manager is clinging on to. Without this, he would be getting more negative criticism from the supporters. We've got plenty of winnable games this month, we have to start pulling away from the rest of the pack and asking questions of our promotion rivals.

Not a dig just an observation, All games are winnable...but...Cambridge and Cheltenham decided to be party poopers.

Shrewsbury, Exeter, Stevenage and Northampton are the games left in October, 3 of those teams have poor results in their last 6 games, Stevenage with Evens in charge will be a battle that our lot had better be aware of and prepared for.

8 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

In my professional environment I behave very differently from what I do on this forum as you might expect. This after all, is an ultimately anonymous social setting where we can be combative. We are not acting in a professional capacity representing the club or arguably fighting for our job. If the manager can't give an adequate explanation as to why he's not playing one of our best attacking players that is a cause for concern. If he can't field a simple tactical question without his back getting up that also makes me wonder is he like this if his players disagree? If so, how does that make them feel? I would say when Warne gets questions asking about tactics and selections he gets more prickly than a lot of other managers we've had tbh in their post-match pressers from what I remember. 

I haven't heard his Radio Derby interview. But even with his The Rams TV interviews, where as you would expect the questions are a lot softer, his answers worry me. Happy with the performance but not with the result? He seems completely disconnected from the fans.. almost all of whom are not happy either with performances or results. 

36 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Having just watched the highlights back (which omit a couple of other half chances our profligate forward line failed to take) I genuinely don’t get those who are saying the overall performance wasn’t good enough. The result wasn’t good enough, but we created enough chances to win the game.

There was passing football, we did keep the ball on the floor at times and played it long at others, we did open them up both down the channels and through the middle, we failed to take the chances created. There’s no way, in the cold light of day, that performance is as bad as some make out. Their goal comes from us tarting around at the back and failing to clear it long, the one thing lots of people claim is the only thing this team does. 

Mate I was there yesterday and we did not play through the middle. When Bird came on he started to link up play but only out to the wings as per usual but then he got moved; there was absolutely no creativity in that middle. Warne even confirmed that he did not intend to play through midfield in his prickly post match interview. The performance wasn’t great against the worst team in this division by a country mile. In the cold light of day no other team in this division would be happy with either the performance or the result yesterday.

Edited by Jayram

50 minutes ago, Mick Brolly said:

I never mentioned anything about our facilities or budget in the first place 

I mentioned that Derby have access to better resources than most clubs in the league, you asked for some examples which I provided. You then asked me to list the wage budget of every club in the league, which wasn't an attempt to debate the point, just a pointless exercise in being pedantic because the point I made was clearly correct despite your attempt to pick holes in it.

My response was merely a reflection of your pedantry.

5 minutes ago, Ramzabac said:

Nope..slept on it and I am still furious about yesterday’s match. I rarely comment on this forum, but I enjoy the comments and banter. Living just outside Cheltenham, this game is a bit special for us, with some of us living within walking distance of Whaddon Road and rarely being able to get tickets for away games. So we had 6 seats in the Cheltenham fans. 

Furious, because for the first 20 minutes of the second half Max Bird ran the game from central midfield and we had Cheltenham on the ropes. Then inexplicably Bird gets moved forward to the number 10 role to accommodate the ineffective Hourihane. After that we should still have won it against such poor opposition, but to move Bird was tactically inept and made us less effective.

It's not as if we had anyone else who could have played in the No 10 role. Sonny Bradley might have perhaps and could maybe have scored from a corner. 

35 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Having just watched the highlights back (which omit a couple of other half chances our profligate forward line failed to take) I genuinely don’t get those who are saying the performance wasn’t good enough. The result wasn’t good enough, but we created enough chances to win the game.

There was passing football, we did keep the ball on the floor and play it long, we did open them up both down the channels and through the middle, we failed to take the chances created. There’s no way, in the cold light of day, that performance is as bad as some make out. Their goal comes from us tarting around at the back and failing to clear it long, the one thing lots of people claim is the only thing this team does. 

Agree with what you have said but could've said it countless times since the start of February and ultimately look where we are in the table.  It isn't good enough with this group of players and won't be good enough come the end of the season as you will be able to write the above countless more times no doubt.  Draws that should be wins.   Losses that should be draws.  The odd marginal win where we have played something approaching what we should be capable of. 

We're not awful, we're just outside the playoffs but ultimately that isn't good enough and is way below what the squad is capable of.

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

I haven't heard his Radio Derby interview. But even with his The Rams TV interviews, where as you would expect the questions are a lot softer, his answers worry me. Happy with the performance but not with the result? He seems completely disconnected from the fans.. almost all of whom are not happy either with performances or results. 

At times it's like he's watching a completely different game and he's rarely able to justify his answers with any quantitative or strong qualitative analysis. It always reminds me of someone who's been caught out not doing their background research and saying something on the fly.