Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Sorry, but did you read the match thread for Carlisle away?

People didn’t care that we won. They were ripping the performance to shreds.

If people thought we played poorly v Blackpool, no doubt there would have been a willingness to say so.

People were happy because we created chances and scored three goals and that could have been more.

Expecting this group of players to deliver that game after game after game is overestimating their ability.

The attack are going to have days where they miss chances. The defence are going to have days where they switch off and concede sloppy goals.

This is their level. We have to take the rough with the smooth.

You must be talking about warne and his coaches because most of those players are capable of holding their own in the championship 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Many people are trapped in unhappy marriages as they can't afford to split up and bring up the kids in 2 households. I fear this is where we are. Once the magic has gone... 

totally get you but think we need the season, he deserves it personally we’ve chopped and changed for years to what we thought would be better and got nowhere, on the other hand this looks a weak league and one we should be challenging but long way to go

1 minute ago, Topram said:

totally get you but think we need the season, he deserves it personally we’ve chopped and changed for years to what we thought would be better and got nowhere, on the other hand this looks a weak league and one we should be challenging but long way to go

why does he deserve more time? how has he earned that?

just because we've chopped and changed in the past doesn't mean we have to now stick with a manager because of it. What if he's just simply the wrong one for the job? But no no, we have to stick with him because we've sacked managers in the past😆

Back from the match. On the booing, it seemed to come from some fans behind the goal. There was none near us on the side, Warne was walking across towards us but the minute he heard it he turned tail and went back towards the dugout. 

I don't think it was many, tbh, but I was a fair way from where it seemed to be coming from.

I was a bit disappointed with the team selection when we were back to two in midfield, after it worked so well at Blackpool.

Also Wilson out, he missed a couple of chances midweek, but he looked really creative, and just remind me how many goals has Mendez-Laing scored this season? Was pleased to see Barkhuizen get a well-deserved start, though. I'd have dropped ML. Where has that confident finishing from this time last season gone?

I don't think Collins and Waghorn work well together either, but that might be because I want to see a genuine number 10 in there instead.

I thought we worked hard, it was very warm. They got away with a lot of physical contact and a lot of play-acting. Fozzy particularly looked shattered at the end. 

I thought the whole team was lifted when Bird came on but would have liked to see him with Smith and Fornah, because it continued to leave us very vulnerable on the counter with just two in there. Yes, I know he made that mistake for their goal, but thought he was doing okay otherwise.

Bird just oozes class though, and was making such a difference. What a shame we then moved him to make room for Hourihane, who offered little. Would the goal have come if we didn't? Probably not.

Today there was lots of effort, little class (Bird and Barks apart) and a bit of confusion about where each other ought to be in the box. Should this keep happening so far into the season? Felt like a step backwards after Tuesday's promise.

14 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

why does he deserve more time? how has he earned that?

just because we've chopped and changed in the past doesn't mean we have to now stick with a manager because of it. What if he's just simply the wrong one for the job? But no no, we have to stick with him because we've sacked managers in the past😆

Isn't the real reason that pw is unlikely to be dismissed from the club more connected to the fact that he's on a 4 year contract where there could potentially be a large payout if he leaves from an owner who's already spent a fortune saving the club from bankruptcy.

On top of that the owner seems content to keep the club stable. 

5 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Regardless of how we played we should be beating Cheltenham in there current form …not good enough 

I wasn’t at the game today and admittedly am desperately looking for any crumbs of comfort but “current form” has to end sometime. What’s to say Cheltenham’s form might not turn around now under their new manager?