Derby v Cheltenham (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

In fairness I think we can all understand the logic in not wanting to play in contested areas  and for the most part it was the right decision because we were able to get into good positions and stack the box but the players lacked quality required on this occasion to make it count. 

I think the bigger issue for me is all this Cheltenham pack the midfield Cheltenham play 3 centre half’s - they are bottom of the league with no previous goals scored by October - what do Derby play ? Because the players never seem to know - why are we changing everything to suit up against a non performing team

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

In fairness I think we can all understand the logic in not wanting to play in contested areas  and for the most part it was the right decision because we were able to get into good positions and stack the box but the players lacked quality required on this occasion to make it count. 

His argument was redundant as we failed in wide areas fundamentally and you have to mix it up. The reason he didn’t start bird yet we were far better when he came on. He’s too predictable and needs to start mixing it up. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

He should have taken Collins off and put Waggy up front. He should have put Sibs as no10. No=one mentions Wilson but he really cheers me up, I've never seen a player as able to tackle himself as often as he does, at least once a game. 😄

Everyone in the world can see that as the obvious change. But no worries, we've got super Wash who'll run all day but do f*** all. 

Dz6H.gif

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Everyone in the world can see that as the obvious change. But no worries, we've got super Wash who'll run all day but do f*** all. 

Dz6H.gif

Unfortunately he is a striker who doesn’t score many goals, think most of us knew that when we signed him.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Waghorn. There I've said it, he's a much better striker, and clever, than the player that Collins is.

That’s a poor result pathetic in fact but Collins has been just fine this season, he’s scored and he’s worked hard one game doesn’t mean anything, NML should of scored 2/3 but it’s all Collins fault 

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We’ve got better midfielders than them though surely there has to be some trust that we can win the battle in the middle? 
I’m not saying don’t plan to utilise the space either side of their 3 CBs but don’t give up on the middle of the park because they’ve been innovative enough to put an extra body there. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

I haven't no, just watched the game on RamsTV and didn't think it was that bad. On another day with Collins more on it, we come away with another 3-1 win and nobody will really be complaining.

It wasn’t that bad as a stand alone away performance I’d agree. 
I think if you add in the context that we were playing the worst team in the division by some distance it becomes more frustrating. It was such an opportunity to get back to back wins and put some of the negativity behind us. 
I’d say I agree that players need to be held accountable. NML at times is so completely devoid of quality (which is more frustrating as at the start of last season he looked the best winger in the division). Collins has got To score from 2 yards out. Forsyth and Collins both (whilst we were building pressure) uselessly lumped crosses straight out behind the goal when we were in dangerous positions. 

BUT the first half we didn’t look up for it. We needed to use our quality to take the sting out of their enthusiastic start and then turn the screw’s ourselves. The responsibility for getting the players fired up - especially after an excellent away result against Blackpool - is Warnes. 

Becomes more evident this is a guessing game for Warne, and each game is pot luck. There is no consistency in performance. If the midfield is overloaded, fix it. Why go wide when banjo Collins at 5’9’’ is either outjumped or misses from 2 yards ? We all knew Waghorn and Collins would be nowhere near good enough. Everything possible should have been done to move out the totally overrated but chummy Cashin in order to fund a striker. Arguing the toss with Brighton has potentially cost this season. Not good enough.

5 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

If you're overrun in midfield then put another body in there. Tell waggy to drop back. Tell cashin to step up. Play sibs as a 10 and put him in the middle to win balls and break up play. How he came out with the idea to just give up on midfield is madness.

The quality of our players should be much, much more than enough to handle something as basic as there being an extra man in midfield. It's baffling for me.

I didn’t hear the interview so I’m only going off the small bits that I saw, to be honest, but I think ‘given up on the midfield’ is hyperbole. 

We dominated possession and our midfielders had a significant amount more touches than their midfielders - I believe he was just stating that the plan to transition was going to be in wide areas where the pitch doesn’t get congested and that we can get their players isolated. I think he was concerned about Cheltenham essentially playing a box six (3x CBs and 3x CDMs) and us trying to find space in the middle of the pitch when irregardless of their players’ quality that they’re still eating up space in those gaps. Us putting more bodies in that zone essentially creates less space and a more erratic football match. 

I don’t think anyone is upset with the amount of chances created or how we transitioned the ball, mostly the quality of our play in those situations. I’m happy to s*** on Warne as much as the next man but based on what I saw today I’m just not sure the blame is down to him, if anything he gave the players a good opportunity to win that game by ensuring they weren’t congested but they lacked the quality to finish the chances when they arose. 

I've really really really wanted to give Warne the benefit of the doubt. 

Even after watching that, I was still just about onside, let's face it Collins should have scored at least once today, that's not on the manager.

His Radio Derby interview has tipped me over the edge.

Giving up midfield as a deliberate ploy when facing the 24th best team in the league, without a single goal to their name all season, how on earth do the squad take confidence in their abilities when that's the managers mindset?

Even if that attitude was successful over a season, what happens beyond?  

Ipswich are running wild in the division above, having been promoted last season, can anyone honestly see a PW led Derby County doing the same if we somehow squeaked promotion this year? 

He talks a good game, but plays a pretty poor one.

4 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

Becomes more evident this is a guessing game for Warne, and each game is pot luck. There is no consistency in performance. If the midfield is overloaded, fix it. Why go wide when banjo Collins at 5’9’’ is either outjumped or misses from 2 yards ? We all knew Waghorn and Collins would be nowhere near good enough. Everything possible should have been done to move out the totally overrated but chummy Cashin in order to fund a striker. Arguing the toss with Brighton has potentially cost this season. Not good enough.

I agree. He is overrated. And too heavy. 

I am starting to wonder if there's a motivation thing at play too. We've actually been unlucky in big games against Pompey and Bolton and obviously got good results away at Blackpool and Peterborough. Burton is easy to explain as its our local Derby for the forseeable unfortunately. But today and Cambridge and even the laboured wins over Fleetwood and Carlisle make you wonder if a) are some of these league droppers up for this and b) if not can Warne get them motivated? 

Are we to assume that the 10 teams who've beaten them, and the 11 others who managed to keep a clean sheet against them so far this season did so because their manager also had the tactical brainwave of not playing through the middle of the pitch?

Edited by Kokosnuss