Francis Lee

SKRam

A sad day for the club, the city, and football as a whole.

Thoughts go out to his family and everyone associated.

It was obviously before my time (and my Dad’s too) but I am sure such a passing is felt keenly by every fan young and old.

Watching clips of that 74-76 team with Hector, George and Lee is so enchanting. The kind of which can inspire a whole generation of fans to dream and dream some more.

Hopefully the boys can put in a fantastic performance and get a win tomorrow as a fitting tribute.

🐏

3 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Lee’s last match a 6-2 away win at Ipswich.

fantastic memories, one of a kind……in the best possible way.

A stonewall penalty and the commentator said it was soft. Mind you it was the 1970s. Why didn't Franny take it? That would have given him a hattrick. 

7 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

A stonewall penalty and the commentator said it was soft. Mind you it was the 1970s. Why didn't Franny take it? That would have given him a hattrick. 

Was in the home end with my Derby colours, wasn’t a very popular 10 year old 😊

Remember in 1966 when working in Manchester, a  Bolton fan who had watched Franny playing for them since he was 17 years old said he was destined to go to the very top of the game  - how right he was!

Superb for us over two seasons, and will be ever greatful for the free tickets  he gave us outside the ground in Geneva in 1974 for the away UEFA cup tie against Servette , against who he scored in both legs of the tie.

Thanks for the memories Franny, and RIP.

RIP Franny 

I feel privileged to have seen you play at the Baseball Ground, although that fight left me a bit stunned at the time - I’d never seen anything like it! 

such a Derby legend 

also reflecting on a time a Man City player came from them to us & then we won the top flight for the second time.

Unlike now where we’re thinking it’s progress to get a nil nil draw at home, in the third division 

7 hours ago, SKRam said:

Heard he and Hunter met for a meal on anniversary every year. Hope that was true. Maybe folklore 

I spoke to Roy McFarland and Roger Davies recently and asked about the fight. They confirmed that Frannie was good mates with Hunter through England and remained so afterwards.

7 hours ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Lee’s last match a 6-2 away win at Ipswich.

fantastic memories, one of a kind……in the best possible way.

Wonderful memories. I was there that day, hundreds of Derby fans amongst the Ipswich half of that end where Frannie scored his two goals. 

We finished 4th in the League, knocked out of the European Cup by Real Madrid and lost in the FA Cup Semi-Final. Dave Mackay got the sack the following season in November. He'd finished 3rd, 1st and 4th in the League in the previous three seasons, signing players like Frannie and Charlie George along the way.

Its a lifetime ago but i don't recall any clamour for Mackay's dismissal from the fans. Wtf were the then owners doing? 

RIP Frannie, you played with a swagger and a smile and will always be loved by Rams of that age.

3 hours ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

Remember in 1966 when working in Manchester, a  Bolton fan who had watched Franny playing for them since he was 17 years old said he was destined to go to the very top of the game  - how right he was!

I remember 1964-65 as the only season we chased promotion from the Second Division under Tim Ward. Newcastle, Northampton, Bolton and Derby were the leading four for most of the season. Frannie had played quite a few games in the First Division for Bolton as a teenager before they had been relegated. He partnered Wyn Davies up front for Bolton. The game was electric and Derby led 2-0 at half time. We were young and in dreamland because we thought the Rams were going up . Our dream was shattered in the second half as Frannie took us apart, scoring two and laying another on for Wyn Davies and we lost 3-2. From that game on we tailed off to finish 9th and Bolton were pipped for promotion behind Newcastle and Northampton.

We were two years away from Clough and when he joined us, Frannie left Bolton to join Man City where he won the League, FA Cup and Eurpean Cup Winners Cup with them between 1968 and 1970 by which time we we were competing at the top of the First Division with City and we won the title in 1972 and again in Franny's first season here in 1974-75.

Tonight's sad because of Franny's passing but it makes you think of just how exciting and different that era was. Such a pity we can't just turn the clock back and enjoy it all again. It was such a privilege to see Frannie Lee swagger across the Baseball Ground. I hope he's enjoying a pint with Dave Mackay tonight.

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Wonderful memories. I was there that day, hundreds of Derby fans amongst the Ipswich half of that end where Frannie scored his two goals. 

We finished 4th in the League, knocked out of the European Cup by Real Madrid and lost in the FA Cup Semi-Final. Dave Mackay got the sack the following season in November. He'd finished 3rd, 1st and 4th in the League in the previous three seasons, signing players like Frannie and Charlie George along the way.

Its a lifetime ago but i don't recall any clamour for Mackay's dismissal from the fans. Wtf were the then owners doing? 

RIP Frannie, you played with a swagger and a smile and will always be loved by Rams of that age.

Brilliant to watch highlights of that game, still had some great players at that time  and would we not give our right arm now for someone like Rioch to be marauding from midfield, most of our mids now seem to forget they can get forward and score