Francis Lee

SKRam

6 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Interesting.....very Interesting.

A fitting tribute from the Daily Mail to a Legend:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12585799/FRANNY-LEE-OBITUARY-immortalised-Barry-Davies.html

Just Look at his face!

Not sure this bit’s right

But Lee followed Mike Summerbee, Colin Todd, Tony Book and Neil Young into a squad which climbed into legend with wins at Old Trafford, White Hart Lane and St James’ Park in the spring of 1968, winning the title in his first season.

Great footballing era though.

8 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Rioch, Nish, Todd, Lee, McFarland.

lm trying to search out the Graham Richards tribute to Francis Lee broadcast last night on the Radio Derby phone in.

…………...as he said “it was a privilege” to watch Derby County week in week out, those of a certain age were extremely lucky. 🐏

13 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Rioch, Nish, Todd, Lee, McFarland.

lm trying to search out the Graham Richards tribute to Francis Lee broadcast last night on the Radio Derby phone in.

…………...as he said “it was a privilege” to watch Derby County week in week out, those of a certain age were extremely lucky. 🐏

Football of the highest order played without fear. The play ran like a river, eddying and flowing with graceful purpose sweeping all before it, on famous mud. We’ll never see it repeated. An afternoon of beacon-like light in the dimness of the industrial and Smokey chimneys of the 70’s. 

55 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Not sure this bit’s right

But Lee followed Mike Summerbee, Colin Todd, Tony Book and Neil Young into a squad which climbed into legend with wins at Old Trafford, White Hart Lane and St James’ Park in the spring of 1968, winning the title in his first season.

Great footballing era though.

Colin Bell surely? But it was before I was born.

3 hours ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

John Robson, Jeff Bourne RIP

Franny was the first of the first team regulars from the 74/75 League winners to pass away. Robbo was sold before the second League title win. Jeff Bourne only came into the team from 1976/77 iirc although he came on as sub a few times the previous year. 

we have been lucky most of the legends have survived well into their 70s. Sadly Franny didn’t quite make it to 80. 

57 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Colin Bell surely? But it was before I was born.

Spot on young man. Colin Bell signed for City in March 1966 during their run-in to the Second Division title. We knew he was a good player because he'd stood head and shoulders above his Bury team mates in early February when the Rams had brushed Bury aside at the BBG by 4-1. Bell signed for City on transfer deadline day the next month and two days later he returned to the BBG to make his City debut but unfortunately this time he was on the winning side scoring the first goal as City beat us 2-1.

Having achieved promotion, Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison, seeking to strengthen their side for the First Division, desperately wanted to sign Kevin Hector from Bradford Park Avenue in the summer but cash was tight for them at the time and the board wouldn't sanction the deal. Kevin was disappointed but in September Tim Ward persuaded the Derby board to pay a record club fee and the most ever for a Fourth Division player, £34k, to bring Kevin to Derby. He says that when he arrived in Derby for talks, he couldn't wait to signed because he sensed the history of the town and the ground as a real footballing place. He was an instant hit and he became the King after he took Huddersfield apart on his home debut. A couple of months later Joe Mercer phoned Tim Ward and offered to pay Derby double what we had paid Bradford. Tim turned him down flat and didn't even tell the board because he sensed they would have taken the money.

The next summer, Brian Clough and Peter Taylor replaced Tim Ward to start our amazing journey to the top. They made a great start here winning 7 and losing 2 of the first nine games. In October  we travelled to Bolton who had just reluctantly sold Frannie to City to end Mercer's search for a striker. We were delighted that he wouldn't be in the Bolton team that day but then we lost 5-3 in a ding-dong game!

But anyway, Frannie and Kevin were soon on their way to winning Champions medals at their respective clubs and then of course to our delight they teamed up here to win their second. Such are the twists and turns along the way in making football history.

9 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Franny was the first of the first team regulars from the 74/75 League winners to pass away. Robbo was sold before the second League title win. Jeff Bourne only came into the team from 1976/77 iirc although he came on as sub a few times the previous year. 

we have been lucky most of the legends have survived well into their 70s. Sadly Franny didn’t quite make it to 80. 

Jeff Bourne actually made seven full and 10 substitute appearances Pete in the 1974-75 Champions winning season, scoring away at Anfield and at home to Birmingham, and won a Champions medal.

12 minutes ago, Alan Ramage 4 EVA said:

he also played at Maine road in the "Interesting very interesting "game ?

He certainly did, during a run of four consecutive games when Kevin Hector was injured.

4 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Jeff Bourne actually made seven full and 10 substitute appearances Pete in the 1974-75 Champions winning season, scoring away at Anfield and at home to Birmingham, and won a Champions medal.

Oh my memory is fading . And a sub appearance when you only had one sub allowed is saying something too. He certainly deserved his medal. Can’t have been that old when he passed either can he? 

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Oh my memory is fading . And a sub appearance when you only had one sub allowed is saying something too. He certainly deserved his medal. Can’t have been that old when he passed either can he? 

66 Pete

19 hours ago, Ramzabac said:

Gutted. RIP Franny. One of my heroes from the great days. 

Question, is Franny the first of our title winning squads to pass away? 

Think john robson was, he was quite young i think.

Edited by Kathcairns

I've just got back from Blackpool, having watched what in my opinion was our best performance this season. If it hadn't been for the three wrong refereeing decisions at Bolton, this team would be sitting with the record number of consecutive League away wins at the start of a season which still sits at four.

I had just one disappointment tonight and that is that a minute's silence was not arranged for the passing of Francis Lee in view of his association with our club and England. In other cases it has been done at an away ground before. I hope that Derby do it before the next home game against Exeter.

I'm not sure whether this has been posted on here, but there's a beautiful tribute to Franny on our website now, with moving commentary by @Owen87ITK

Thank you, Owen. It means a lot to those of us who were there. 

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/10/remembering-francis-lee-rest-in-peace

And to echo @Brailsford Ram's question, will we be doing something at our next home match?