Collins advise

eddy779h34

James Collins doesn't help himself 

Last night a few times the ball was played into his feet in space, but he instantly plays a first time ball back to the player who gave it to him, all forward thinking is lost and back we go, the opposition get set in shape 

Just hold it man and look for a ball out wide or side, or like Franny Lee did back into the defender with your backside and roll him or look for runners 

I think he just needs to think more positive and get leaning on the centre half  a bit more 

I think Warne said last night we need to be a bit more quicker at that killer pass not always the safe ball 

??

1 minute ago, eddy779h34 said:

Last night a few times the ball was played into his feet in space, but he instantly plays a first time ball back to the player who gave it to him, all forward thinking is lost and back we go, the opposition get set in shape 

Just hold it man and look for a ball out wide or side, or like Franny Lee did back into the defender with your backside and roll him or look for runners 

I think he just needs to think more positive and get leaning on the centre half  a bit more 

I think Warne said last night we need to be a bit more quicker at that killer pass not always the safe ball 

??

He also managed to be offside 4 times.

There was a woman behind me who berated every decision the ref or lino made. All except Collins being offside. She accepted that inevitability.

4 minutes ago, eddy779h34 said:

??

I expected that sentence to end with, 'Throw yourself to the ground theatrically.'

10 minutes ago, eddy779h34 said:

??

Yes agreed if he is picked to start games(Unlikely) he needs to watch a video of how Chris Martin held the ball up and played players in

16 minutes ago, eddy779h34 said:

??

This doesn't matter if he is offside...... which happens quite often

I thought Collins played quite well last night and did provide that pivot a number of times. He seems to like playing with both Barks and Wilson. 

He works bloody hard too.

Needs to sort out the offsides but at least two of those were due to the ball not being played quite quickly enough. That's always going to happen when you play on the edge of their defence.

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

I thought Collins played quite well last night and did provide that pivot a number of times. He seems to like playing with both Barks and Wilson. 

He works bloody hard too.

Needs to sort out the offsides but at least two of those were due to the ball not being played quite quickly enough. That's always going to happen when you play on the edge of their defence.

I have no issue with his effort. 

However, as a centre forward he is so hard to pass to. Just watch the positions he takes up in the box and I defy you to work out how the ball could possibly reach him without being intercepted by defenders.

He just runs into the box without checking back, spinning into space or getting goal side of the defender.

If he could add that to his game, he would be very effective.

20 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

I was there, the day the "Hunter" became the "hunted"  🙂

Plenty of punches thrown and not one landed, Hunter got the 1st and only one in, The trip that Lee did to win the penalty was the catalyst, What a great day that was 😁

The story goes that Lee did hunt Hunter down but refused to come out of the changing room after the game, In the press the following week Lee said he'd meet Hunter on any cobbled street 😊

For me, one of the issues is when he plays on his own up top we need a proper no. 10 to get close to him, the only time someone occupied that space was when Barks came infield and he scored because Collins had an option instead of going back to midfield. 

Of the midfield 3 I would have thought Embleton would have been far more advanced, but as tidy as he may have been, we effectively had 3 defensive midfielders from the positions he took up.

I know Collins was not involved in Sibley goal  but again, when we had someone willing to join in with the striker we scored. 

WRT Collins positioning, he was close to making contact, should have done better, to a Wilson cross early on and got in behind when he tamely lobbed it back to the keeper, again should have done a lot better though 

Edited by Rich84
Spelling

25 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I have no issue with his effort. 

However, as a centre forward he is so hard to pass to. Just watch the positions he takes up in the box and I defy you to work out how the ball could possibly reach him without being intercepted by defenders.

He just runs into the box without checking back, spinning into space or getting goal side of the defender.

If he could add that to his game, he would be very effective.

I do agree, and that cross from Wilson, Brown would have got right side of the defender and turned that in. But he's not as strong in other parts of his game yet.

I'm not Collins' biggest fan but can see what he does bring to the game. 

Didn't think he was too bad last night. I do wish though that he would stop berating his teammates so much. They don't pass to him, he berates them .... they try and pass to him but it gets intercepted, he berates them .... they play it to him and he messes it up, he berates them. I swear Sibley could have just dribbled past their entire team for fun last night but at one stage he just kept trying to cross it to Collins every chance he got. Whether that was down to Collins constant moaning at him or an instruction from Warne I don't know, but just get Sibley running at defences please!

1 hour ago, sage said:

He also managed to be offside 4 times.

There was a woman behind me who berated every decision the ref or lino made. All except Collins being offside. She accepted that inevitability.

James Collins today ….

’Mum you have to be more subtle when you’re watching me, otherwise they’ll suss you’ 

Mother Mum GIF by THE BEARD STRUGGLE

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

Plenty of punches thrown and not one landed, Hunter got the 1st and only one in, The trip that Lee did to win the penalty was the catalyst, What a great day that was 😁

The story goes that Lee did hunt Hunter down but refused to come out of the changing room after the game, In the press the following week Lee said he'd meet Hunter on any cobbled street 😊

Lee got the better of the second altercation though, the one where Reaney grabs the ref to alert him as they walk off. Love the commentary "well if they weren't sent off they are now". But it was all a bit handbags when you look at the actual fighting, lots of swinging haymakers that really didn't go anywhere.

Story I heard was that Lee was at a charity golf day just a few years back with Hunter and offered to give him chance to finish unfinished business. That said, I also heard they ended up good friends so believe whichever one fits best for you I guess.

Edited by BaaLocks

2 hours ago, Rich84 said:

For me, one of the issues is when he plays on his own up top we need a proper no. 10 to get close to him, the only time someone occupied that space was when Barks came infield and he scored because Collins had an option instead of going back to midfield. 

Of the midfield 3 I would have thought Embleton would have been far more advanced, but as tidy as he may have been, we effectively had 3 defensive midfielders from the positions he took up.

I know Collins was not involved in Sibley goal  but again, when we had someone willing to join in with the striker we scored. 

WRT Collins positioning, he was close to making contact, should have done better, to a Wilson cross early on and got in behind when he tamely lobbed it back to the keeper, again should have done a lot better though 

The cross where he tried a near post flick ?  I didnt mind that - I want him going near post across keeper/defenders - but that ball went right across the face after that we should have had a player there for a tap in.