Match Thread: (A) Peterborough United

Rampant

46 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

Wildsmith could count himself extremely unlucky at best to be dropped after keeping us in the game last week. Unless you’re ITK that he’s injured? Or committed a heinous crime, been arrested, charged and remanded until court after the BH?

Just liked Vickers to be honest. 

8 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

Where are the popular away fans drinking spots?

In the city centre, the  College arms( spoons ) and the Henry Royce ( Yates ) will be busy with Derby fans.

Not far from the ground, the Charter, which is a converted barge moored on the river is always popular.

Also on the banks of the river nearby it is the last day of the CAMRA Peterborough beer festival 12- 11 pm.

While Sibs and Barks work towards fitness, and without any incomings, my setup (alas not Warne's) would be:

Wildsmith

Rooney    Nelson/Bradley     Cashin     Forsyth

Smith

Thompson    Hourihane

Mendez-Laing    Waghorn     Washington

Subs: Vickers Bardell Bradley/Nelson Elder Sibley Collins Barkhuizen 

Then, we all know Mendez-Laing is spent after 55 minutes so I'd be looking at swapping him early for either Sibs or Barks, depending on whether we wanted to change things up or keep the same formation. Either way, the other two forward-thinking subs should be on by 70 minutes, with Waghorn and Washington likely off (unless scoring for fun). It's their job to run themselves and the defenders into the ground by 70 minutes to allow fresh legs on to attack tired defenders.

I feel I've not seen enough of Bradley and Nelson to see who should have the starting berth.

We should fear no one in this division and be looking to win every game. We are the biggest thing in town. I don't accept this "take a point now" mentality. Time to start rising up the table and making the rest take notice. We are Derby!

6 minutes ago, Magicman said:

Wildsmith 

Rooney Nelson Cashin Fozzie 

Smith Thomopson Hourihane 

NML Washington Waghorn 

Subs 

Vickers Elder Bradley Robinson Sibley Collins 

This is the team I would go with, unless we get a new signing in. 

Looking forward to my first away match of the season, hope to be parked up around 11,30AM in Peterboro , then off to the charter pub, heard they do a decent pint in there, and do a burger and a pint for 12 pound, or a pizza, that will do me, then get to the stadium around 2,20PM, and hope to see our 2nd victory on the bounce. I am feeling confident, but I always do, why not go with a positive mentality, like another poster said, we are Derby and we should go to win every game be it home or away. Once A Ram Always A Ram. 

We beat a bottom 6 team last week , let’s see if we can beat a top 6 team this week. Warne has to do better this season in how we do against them. Another under the spotlight , will be Rooney. They could put a “Speedboat” up against him. In the City U21 game he looked like he was running in treacle. He also has a point to prove.

10 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

We should fear no one in this division and be looking to win every game. We are the biggest thing in town. I don't accept this "take a point now" mentality. Time to start rising up the table and making the rest take notice. We are Derby!

I think this very much comes down to expectation versus acceptability. I'd agree that we should obviously always try to win every game because as much as anything else, starting off with an intention to only get a point usually seems to backfire as you spend 90 mins with your backs against the wall and then have to change your mindset mid game if you fall behind.

There are obvious shortcomings in this team as it stands but even so, we should be able to hold our own and not fear anyone in the sense of expecting a hammering. That all said, personally I reckon that if you can beat any promotion rivals at home and not lose to them away then you'll definitely be there or thereabouts. I'd love us to win this game but if we have a decent go and get a point then yeah, I'd be happy with that. They'd feel like it was an opportunity missed and I think that tells you everything you need to know. We haven't been able to recruit quite as we'd like and we're suffering badly with injuries at the moment, so consider a draw here as some sort of failure seems harsh in the extreme in the current circumstances.

I would love it if we're so sneaky that we sign two new players in time, but don't announce them so we can completely wrongfoot Peterborough with the teamsheet at 2pm. That sort of brutal tactic, optimizing your chances of beating the opposition, is something that would help restore a little faith in Warne. Why give your opponents any help by telling them in advance?

I had a look at Peterborough's squad for their last game (vs Northampton) and one interesting thing I noticed was that all but 2 of their players were 25 or under. One of those is Clarke-Harris, who they're actively trying to sell.

They're a good example of investing in youth, doing well with them (in and around the play-offs), and then selling some of them on for huge profits (historically their strikers).

I'm also very worried that they're going to run rings around our OAPs.

1 hour ago, Scott129 said:

I had a look at Peterborough's squad for their last game (vs Northampton) and one interesting thing I noticed was that all but 2 of their players were 25 or under. One of those is Clarke-Harris, who they're actively trying to sell.

They're a good example of investing in youth, doing well with them (in and around the play-offs), and then selling some of them on for huge profits (historically their strikers).

I'm also very worried that they're going to run rings around our OAPs.

Or our experience could tell on their youngsters (I'm not necessarily saying that this will happen, just giving a different scenario). Come on you Rams.

We should have Fornah, John-Jules and Sibley to come off the bench. If it's a tight game then it's just nice to have options. 

Poku and Mason-Clark do worry me out wide. If we go with a back three then they will stretch the wide centre backs and make life uncomfortable. Clarke-Harris is a bit of a flat-trak bully but can see us giving him an opportunity. 

I'm going to be optimistic: 2-1 Derby - late winner from John-Jules.