v Oxford United (H) Match Thread

Kernow

Not much to add to what's been said, in truth I was never inspired by the PW appointment, but I kept reading in various places (here and from professional sources) that he was a good  manager, so I just watched and waited, it wasn't bad, going unbeaten for some 16 game's? Then after Xmas it started changing....

Excuses started :-

' These are Roseniors players'

'He needs to get his type of player in'

'Give him time'

Well he's got his own players, hand picked, and in fairness it's only 3 game's in.

PW says he's been thwarted in the market re new players, but my guess is that looking at the last 3 games I wonder which players are going to be wanting to join us/him ?

Yes we need a striker or two, but people saying Collins is a carthorse should look at his showreel most goals he scored are balls played into feet/channels not from crosses for headers. 

I'm tired of managers that shoehorn players into roles that try to suit their style, players who then get pelters from fans for not playing well in that role, which demoralises them, and they spiral down...

So my worry is that fans are going to get on everyone's back and confidence will drop in the changing room and this season will get even worse until 'something gives'....

I'll just wait fingers crossed that people were right, PW is a good manager,support the club as I always have,  but I'm hoping that Clowes has a good plan B ready.

The way Warne is saying we need more pace throughout the team is true. The way Warne sets the team up demands pace and energy. With the current players that system is going to fail and fail dramatically. It's ok to change to suit the players you have at your disposal. He refuses to do that. He has bought in ageing players at the back to play set piece football but they are no good at set pieces. Cashin for all his good play last season only scored one goal. The other two alongside him don't look like scoring either. We are far too open with no cover and it is glaringly obvious. Warne has to shut up shop. I hated watching Rosie's team last year because it was so laboured but, by Christ I would take that over anything shown this year. Last night we couldn't string five passes together. It's horrible to watch as a fan and as a football match. Mindset has to change from the manager. 

Well last night was a night for "firsts" for me. It was the first time I have heard the ref being booed back on to the pitch for the second half, and the first time I have walked out on a Derby game in 50 years. The nearest was when I left 5 minutes early back in 1998 when we were 4 - 1 down to Newcastle United. It was also a first in that although the ref was terrible, we were worse, by a looooooooooong way.

I didn't see the Bradley penalty foul, so maybe I'm turning into Arsene Wenger, I don't know. And wasn't aware how bad the Colins foul was as it was at the other end of the pitch. I just assumed it was like all the other yellow cards we got, which were for nothing - Smith's was after winning a clean tackle on the ball, for instance. By contrast Harris should have been carded for a blatant dive in the area just before Collins got booked, he ran across the goal line taunting the South Standers after he'd scored, which I thought was inciting the crowd, and then nearly took Cashin's head off while throwing him to the ground, which should have been another yellow. There was also a "both feet off the ground lunge near the corner flag which didn't even warrant a free-kick. So yes, the ref was bad. Partly my fault - I observed that he had been OK for the first 15 minutes, so sorry for being Mr Gobby!

So actually, match official wise, nothing new. But our performance - good grief! We had a good spell early in the second half for about 7 minutes, but that was it. Typified by Hourihane. Many of us have noticed he saunters around for much of the match in a half-arsed manner, and despite a reputation for skill, is more often than not a hoof-baller. NML is disappointing - the only time Collins was where a number 9 should be with a cross impending, and NML crosses behind him. I suppose it was better than simply whacking it out for  throw on the opposite side of the pitch, I suppose. And the defence! We were led to believe that we had brought players in to make our defence look like it is made of granite, but in reality it is made of shale, which means there is always the chance of a landslide. Oh dear. 

And once again we saw the opposition adapting on the fly. As soon as Thompson came on and settled at right back, they started raining long balls into his area of the pitch, exploiting his lack of height. IT was instantaneous, almost as if the opposition management knew what they were doing.

Our apathetic midfield is down to Warne's insistence on 3 at the back, plus pushing our midfield forwards in an attempt to be on the front foot. But that puts them too far forwards for us to play through the middle, so our defenders have to resort to pinging the ball wide to the wing backs, which is Warne's preferred, and sole tactic. So despite having good players in the middle, they are being by-passed, to our detriment.

Wilson made an impact, and looks like he wants to play football, as did Thommo, he did more in his first 10 minutes the most of the team managed all match. Unlike many on here, I rate him, because he ahs good ball control, he doesn't waste the ball, has energy and commitment, and always looks to move the ball forwards wherever possible. He should start on Saturday, and given Bird's injury, he should be in central midfield, but knowing "the Derby Way", he'll probably be in goal to teach Wildsmith a lesson!

Another first was me going to a midweek match was me not having to worry about getting home late and compromising my sleep before going to work the next day. And then I left early! But do I want to turn up on Saturday and watch us get beached by Fleetwood? Common sense would say "No", but what has common sense got to do with it?

Edited by DavesaRam

6 minutes ago, nfb said:

Not much to add to what's been said, in truth I was never inspired by the PW appointment, but I kept reading in various places (here and from professional sources) that he was a good  manager, so I just watched and waited, it wasn't bad, going unbeaten for some 16 game's? Then after Xmas it started changing....

Excuses started :-

' These are Roseniors players'

'He needs to get his type of player in'

'Give him time'

Well he's got his own players, hand picked, and in fairness it's only 3 game's in.

PW says he's been thwarted in the market re new players, but my guess is that looking at the last 3 games I wonder which players are going to be wanting to join us/him ?

Yes we need a striker or two, but people saying Collins is a carthorse should look at his showreel most goals he scored are balls played into feet/channels not from crosses for headers. 

I'm tired of managers that shoehorn players into roles that try to suit their style, players who then get pelters from fans for not playing well in that role, which demoralises them, and they spiral down...

So my worry is that fans are going to get on everyone's back and confidence will drop in the changing room and this season will get even worse until 'something gives'....

I'll just wait fingers crossed that people were right, PW is a good manager,support the club as I always have,  but I'm hoping that Clowes has a good plan B ready.

Think you’re right about confidence. However I think Derby’s fans are pretty fair when they see effort being put in. There was a roar when little Thompson put in a firmer tackle than our giant centre halves have managed in three games.

If we can reset and start playing the ball on the deck the fans will be happy.

Still don’t feel any more positive after an average nights sleep. 

Anyone with an ounce of sense knows we have no energy or creativity in midfield and no pace in the team. This has been evident for a long time. We don’t look like creating or scoring so the last thing we can afford to do is give away stupid goals. The defending is comical. Before the second goal last night we were all over the place at the back. Total panic stations. Worrying when we have signed specific players for the system and that this is really the only area we have ‘strengthened’. 

In order to turn the season around we need strong characters, leaders, pace, energy and power and without overhauling the squad I don’t see how we do it.

In terms of players, the only positives Ward, Thommo (last night) and Waggy (last night) aren’t really positives they’re just not playing as bad as the rest. 

I would definitely put Thommo in midfield Saturday, not that I think he is the solution but at least he will give us some bite and energy. Hopefully Sibley and Barks will be in contention Saturday. 

I’d hate to have to pick the team for the weekend. 

I regret shouting ‘What a crock of 💩’ at the final whistle. Not because it was harsh purely because I had to explain to the young one what it meant. Dad of the year. 

Just had a painful few minutes watching the highlights from last night. It was actually worse then I remember. Bradley should have got a straight red card he looks so clumsy and no confidence at all. Tried to clear a ball by hoofing it at the back of smith. Someone next to me posited that they’re may be some dressing room division  between a few senior players . I hate to guess but part of me thinks Bradley assumed he was becoming captain 

All i can say about last night is Wow,how bad are we

If you take your centre half (Bradley) off three games in a row what does that tell you

If we are now saying Thompson is a must starter on Saturday,what does that tell you, he was lucky to get a place on the bench last season

Not sure if we have ever lost all three home games at the start of any season before but if this turns out to be 4 on the spin come Saturday then i think Warne has to go,this weekends game is followed by trips to Bolton and Peterborough that could realistically see us in the relegation places.

Whilst Cash was our best CB, he was very lucky to stay on the pitch. The recovery tackle in our box was a defo straight red (it was right in front of us) and he should have had a second yellow for the shirt pull. He needs to learn from that.

Midfield is all wrong. Central defence didn't look to have a clue and up-front... dreadful. Collins cannot play with his back to goal. He misjudges every single ball played to him in the air. He's always underneath it, body position all wrong, etc - it's just not his game.

I think we all agree  that with Wash, Tommo and Waggy we looked much brighter but we're desperate for a decent CM to get pull us together. Bird and Hourihane should have the nouse between them as they're technically strong but we just look a mess. I don't know what's going on but we do not look good.

I went to 5-6 games last season and we just seemed exactly the same last night - no obvious system, players not confident in roles or passing and never in control of the game. Last season, it was fair to say that they weren't PW's players but this lot are and whilst I'll give him time, I'm really starting to lose faith I'm afraid. 

Was talking to a Florist fan this morning and he said there's clips of this game all over their forums saying it's exactly how they were when they were down here. They also felt they'd romp League One and they just couldn't attract players, attendances dwindled (well, it is Florist so what do you expect...) and it was not the 'we're a big club, we'll walk this' experience that I'll admit, I felt it would be!

A lot of posts now saying ‘Thompson needs to start’ after a competent run off the bench last night.

Well you guys must see something that I don’t.

Yeah, he runs about a bit and is ‘one of our own’, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s anything above a competent player and honestly feel that he’ll find his level in League 2 - Hopefully not with us 😞

Happy to be proven wrong, but just can’t see it 🤷‍♂️

The reason I left early from the Newcastle game all those years ago was that I was working in financial services on commission based sales, so if I didn’t do my job I didn’t get paid, and was watching a bunch of millionaires or soon to be millionaires getting paid a fortune for not performing.

That sentiment wasn’t lost on me last night - we can only pay new players £4000 a week, but that equates to £208,000 a year. And many are on way more than that. We are watching millionaires and soon to be millionaires (in Division 3, remember) being paid more in a fortnight than I was earning in a year, and that for working 60 hours a week!

So while many of us are bricking ourselves about the still ongoing cost of living crisis, the Derby players and management are swanning around without a care in the world. So people criticising fans who boo the team need to think again. We are the best supported team in the midlands, and outdo many Premiership clubs, and we have stuck by the club through its darkest days, of which there have been many. So booing isn’t a sign of lack of support. It is saying it how it is, it is demanding that the players and management do their bit as well instead of just showing up for the pay-check. Maybe they should dip into their own well-filled pockets and refund all those fans who have to endure this tripe, because the fans are the only ones who turn up at a match.

And I have come to the conclusion that Queen Victoria was a Ram because she was famous for saying “We are not amused”. 😡

Edited by DavesaRam

Just now, Birdyabroad said:

A lot of posts now saying ‘Thompson needs to start’ after a competent run off the bench last night.

Well you guys must see something that I don’t.

Yeah, he runs about a bit and is ‘one of our own’, but I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s anything above a competent player and honestly feel that he’ll find his level in League 2 - Hopefully not with us 😞

Happy to be proven wrong, but just can’t see it 🤷‍♂️

That's point. Even a competent player would be an upgrade. 😀

5 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

The reason I left early from the Newcastle game all those years ago was that I was working in financial services on commission based sales, so if I didn’t do my job I didn’t get paid, and was watching a bunch of millionaires or soon to be millionaires getting paid a fortune for not performing.

That sentiment wasn’t lost on me last night - we can only pay new players £4000 a week, but that equates to £208,000 a year. And many are on way more than that. We are watching millionaires and soon to be millionaires (in Division 3, remember) being paid more in a fortnight than I was earning in a year, and that for working 60 hours a week!

So while many of us are bricking ourselves about the still ongoing cost of living crisis, the Derby players and management are swanning around without a care in the world. So people criticising fans who boo the team need to think again. We are the best supported team in the midlands, and outdo many Premiership clubs, and we have stuck by the club through its darkest days, of which there have been many. So booing isn’t a sign of lack of support. It is saying it how it is, it is demanding that the players and management do their bit as well instead of just showing up for the pay-check. Maybe they should dip into their own well-filled pockets and refund all those fans who have to endure this tripe, because the fans are the only ones who turn up at a match.

And I have come to the conclusion that Queen Victoria was a Ram because she was famous for saying “We are not amused”. 😡

I think this is important. I'd also say, as fans not only have we been starved of success but we've had such a difficult few years I think we're just crying out for something to shout about. Last night, I didn't even have the energy to boo them off the pitch or shout as usual. I was simply resigned to this is what we should expect. 

Oxford fan coming in peace.

This thread has been quite some read and you are rightly concerned that you’ve lost to lowly Oxford. But, let me try and calm your concerns and correct some comments.

Yes, we finished 2 points clear of relegation and as one of your contributors said we’d only won 3 games in 7 months. But to put that into perspective, we had Karl Robinson as our “manager” last season until he was sacked. After 5 seasons we eventually got rid of  him. He had some good games, we got to the playoff final and lost to Wycombe, perhaps the least deserving team to get promoted, their brand of footy was truly awful. The following season we lost in the playoff semifinal to Blackpool, we got thumped at home, game over. We then followed that with 8th.

He got the sack after picking up 1 point in 24, the board should’ve acted sooner because he had his mind on other things. His marriage had collapsed, but if you shag the women’s team captain what do you expect. His signings, were a disaster. He gave contract extensions to injured players. Signed players with known mental health issues, signed more crocks and brought in square pegs for round holes. He also signed big Sam’s grandson, not on merit.  His post match comments were those of a scouce smack-head who’d just found a bottle of LSD.  We’d watched United get annihilated and he’d be talking about Brazil, the rainforest and samba bands.

In came Liam Manning and Chris Hogg… who?  Manning got MK into the L1 playoffs which they lost and got the push from MK after a bad run.

He came in and picked up 11 points to keep us up, instilling some grit and professionalism.

During the close season, he’s brought in 8 new players, some of whom we have been shocked we’d signed. Ruben Rodrigues from Notts Country, Mark Harris from Cardiff, on loan Stan Mills from Everton and James Beadle from Brighton. 
We had PSF against Swansea 2-2 then beat QPR 5-0.

First game of the season was a 2-0 away defeat to Cambridge and our forum was similar to this thread. However a 1-0 win against Carlisle and last night has completely changed the outlook. As many people say, give it 10 games, then start judging. New players in, old ones out, injured players back etc.

I can understand your pain, but I think we’ll be top 10 this year, we are playing free flowing footy. You are hamstrung by past crimes and until you can spend you’ll be stuck in this league, but once sanctions are lifted, 25,000 customers is going to give you plenty of buying power. 

Good luck for the season, especially against, Wigan, Reading and Bolton.

Edited by GrumpyGit

1 hour ago, simmoram1995 said:

Just had a painful few minutes watching the highlights from last night. It was actually worse then I remember. Bradley should have got a straight red card he looks so clumsy and no confidence at all. Tried to clear a ball by hoofing it at the back of smith. Someone next to me posited that they’re may be some dressing room division  between a few senior players . I hate to guess but part of me thinks Bradley assumed he was becoming captain 

I think that would be a fair assumption given his I ain't staying in League 1 speech on arrival.  It seemed arrogant rather than rousing and had me worried from the off.  Didn't say anything at the time as it would have been seen as anti Warne.  What I was being hammered for 2 months ago is panning out exactly as I thought.

For the record, I'm not happy about that.  I don't to go games in the pissing rain and give my time to see abject football and players long past their best struggling to press and getting picked off.  It was obvious the way it was heading but it's worse than I thought.

28 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Up until the outbreak of Covid I'd be at PP nothing except death would keep me away, Covid taught me there is another world out there, Football has changed and not for the better...imo, Players earning vast amounts of money, Owners putting clubs into debt, Referees who can't do the simple thing, Referee officials changing the rules...2 managers sent off last night for daring to criticize the man in black, Football football football wherever you look, I didn't like last season altho I had a season ticket i missed some 10 games through illness or just couldn't be arsed.

20k+ season tickets sold a great response from the DCFC fans, Some new some older ticket holders all going for the same reason...the love of DCFC, 3 home defeats in the 1st 3 games is a very poor...why so, PW started it imo by letting the players choose the captain, Poured more fuel on the fire by stupid comments after the Blackpool game, We here there's been talks between players and management to iron a few things out after the Blackpool game, Even winning 3-0 at Burton there was still those posters on here that could see that things are still not right.

It sounds by what PW said after his presser last night...things are still not right and are now compounded by injuries to a couple of players, If things are not right behind the scenes then things wont be right at Kick Off time, I'm confident we have the players to do well, I'm not confident we're playing to their strengths...PW and staff had better start earning their corn as I see David Clowes will be under pressure if not already and decisions will have to be made.  

25 minutes ago, GrumpyGit said:

Oxford fan coming in peace.

This thread has been quite some read and you are rightly concerned that you’ve lost to lowly Oxford. But, let me try and calm your concerns and correct some comments.

Yes, we finished 2 points clear of relegation and as one of your contributors said we’d only won 3 games in 7 months. But to put that into perspective, we had Karl Robinson as our “manager” last season until he was sacked. After 5 seasons we eventually got rid of  him. He had some good games, we got to the playoff final and lost to Wycombe, perhaps the least deserving team to get promoted, their brand of footy was truly awful. The following season we lost in the playoff semifinal to Blackpool, we got thumped at home, game over. We then followed that with 8th.

He got the sack after picking up 1 point in 24, the board should’ve acted sooner because he had his mind on other things. His marriage had collapsed, but if you shag the women’s team captain what do you expect. His signings, were a disaster. He gave contract extensions to injured players. Signed players with known mental health issues, signed more crocks and brought in square pegs for round holes. He also signed big Sam’s grandson, not on merit.  His post match comments were those of a scouce smack-head who’d just found a bottle of LSD.  We’d watched United get annihilated and he’d be talking about Brazil, the rainforest and samba bands.

In came Liam Manning and Chris Hogg… who?  Manning got MK into the L1 playoffs which they lost and got the push from MK after a bad run.

He came in and picked up 11 points to keep us up, instilling some grit and professionalism.

During the close season, he’s brought in 8 new players, some of whom we have been shocked we’d signed. Ruben Rodrigues from Notts Country, Mark Harris from Cardiff, on loan Stan Mills from Everton and James Beadle from Brighton. 
We had PSF against Swansea 2-2 then beat QPR 5-0.

First game of the season was a 2-0 away defeat to Cambridge and our forum was similar to this thread. However a 1-0 win against Carlisle and last night has completely changed the outlook. As many people say, give it 10 games, then start judging. New players in, old ones out, injured players back etc.

I can understand your pain, but I think we’ll be top 10 this year, we are playing free flowing footy. You are hamstrung by past crimes and until you can spend you’ll be stuck in this league, but once sanctions are lifted, 25,000 customers is going to give you plenty of buying power. 

Good luck for the season, especially against, Wigan, Reading and Bolton.

Interesting post - is Karl Robinson still available? 😂