v Burton Albion (A) Match Thread

Kernow

1 minute ago, Sheepinthedales said:

I thought this. Whether this is a conscious thing, he's been asked to by the comms guys at the club or he has just genuinely felt under stress, I'm not sure. Having said that, it would have been unwise to get too carried away today 

My guess would be the coms team have had a word with him.

Just brain dumping all your thoughts to the media isn't healthy, pleaese exercise a little discretion mr warne, just a little morsal restraint especially about contracts or club business.

7 minutes ago, Sheepinthedales said:

I thought this. Whether this is a conscious thing, he's been asked to by the comms guys at the club or he has just genuinely felt under stress, I'm not sure. Having said that, it would have been unwise to get too carried away today 

I’m thinking that on top of the various navel gazing team meetings that have been held following Tuesday night there have also been meetings at senior management level with the DCFC PR\media people involved and certain messages have been put across!!!

24 minutes ago, Gisby said:

I’m thinking that on top of the various navel gazing team meetings that have been held following Tuesday night there have also been meetings at senior management level with the DCFC PR\media people involved and certain messages have been put across!!!

Could also be that the open and honest dialogue Warne promotes flows in both directions. A number of fans speculated that his comments wouldn’t sit well with the players, perhaps they’ve said so and he’s taken that on board. 

17 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Could also be that the open and honest dialogue Warne promotes flows in both directions. A number of fans speculated that his comments wouldn’t sit well with the players, perhaps they’ve said so and he’s taken that on board. 

Or his comments worked and we won 3-0?

Really good to see us win and get a clean sheet. It sounded like the first half was quite poor, Eric Steele on the radio was far from impressed with what he saw. But from the 60th minute, it sounded like we got it together and exploited the gaps left by Burton. I have seen the goals, not the other highlights, but there looked to be some good play and pressing for the 2nd and 3rd. Tuesday and Saturday may tell us more about where we can expect to be. Hopefully, we build on this result and get two results at home now.

22 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I was commenting more specifically on the seemingly subdued nature of Warne’s media interviews pre and post Burton, not about the nature of his comments on Tuesday and the impact of them on the players and performance.

Not read any of the thread (jumped to the end) but Warne always tries to be level headed in victory and defeat. It's impossible to be a (good and balanced) football manager if you swing from highs to lows based on results. I heard Warne post-match and he sounded spot on. 

25 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I was commenting more specifically on the seemingly subdued nature of Warne’s media interviews pre and post Burton, not about the nature of his comments on Tuesday and the impact of them on the players and performance.

I know you were, but this was in a conversation that suggested either he had decided to change, or even more unlikely, he’d been told to. I sense he’s just human, and he is a genuine as he can be, which sometimes is up and sometimes is down. 

51 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

That is the word on the street

3 minutes ago, sage said:

That is the word on the street

Potentially they may have a good 2-way relationship and he's had a good old, honest moan to the press. The players have then told him they'd rather he didn't do that... and he's said 'Tell you what, don't play so bloody poorly and half heartedly and I won't!

Everyone feels good, the dressing room isn't lost, Bird isn't telling his agent he needs another club and they aren't all sulking in training  - you never know!

23 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Potentially they may have a good 2-way relationship and he's had a good old, honest moan to the press. The players have then told him they'd rather he didn't do that... and he's said 'Tell you what, don't play so bloody poorly and half heartedly and I won't!

Everyone feels good, the dressing room isn't lost, Bird isn't telling his agent he needs another club and they aren't all sulking in training  - you never know!

In essence, he’s human, honest and listens.

I have no idea what this season will bring or even if Warne is a good football manager. I do know that he seems truthful, realistic and a pretty decent guy. 

Got to the game hugely early as per and milled around the player entrance to people watch a bit.

Was chatting with a Burton fan who hadn't managed to secure a ticket due to a bit of a hard luck story. While we were talking the Burton manager came out and personally game him a complimentary ticket so he could see the game. A very nice touch and have now developed a soft spot for the Brewers. Must toughen up.

6 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

That player reaction is an indication of a penalty is an utterly laughable statement, so I thought you might be having a laugh

well the commentators made quite a lot of the Burton defender’s guilty look at the ref. And said they thought it was generally an indication. Just like the cricket commentators say that if the wicket keeper doesn’t appeal for a caught behind, that’s telling. They are in a pretty intense focused place so their instantaneous reactions are inevitable revealing. That’s not to say they don’t try to game the ref but if numerous players respond in unison, it’s a good indication... 

a loss today would have been very depressing and could have led us to a dark place  Great to get a decisive win (on paper)

Thought Warne’s decision to start the Xl that played Wigan was good and brave.   I’d now like to see him make some changes  reflecting our weak first half showing and to try to get more out of this squad. There are lots of questions. One is how to tighten defence (I think Fozzie is the answer, not least because if he plays deeper I think we’ll get more out of Cashin, maybe Wildsmith too); another - probably the biggest -  is how we increase effectiveness in midfield. Another is whether NML should be starting or finishing. And should Wildsmith sit out a game or two? Well done Collins. 

All I can say is “thank goodness” I was relieved when the second goal went in.  A loss today would have had so many in a tizz…

I listened to the game on the radio, and although it seemed like there were  few nervy periods there was only one side coming out in top.  I will watch the longer highlights when theŷ come out to make a full judgement.

i didn’t realise what a whiny and petulant arse their manager is.  In his interview he seemed to gloss over all of the reciprocal things that happened in the game (shirt pulling and head injuries).  I’d be embarrassed as a brewers fan.

For some reason I have never hears Collins talk on the radio.  He came over pretty well for me and sounds nothing like he looks!  Can’t say why but there you are!