v Blackpool (H) Match Thread

Ambitious

Just now, nottingram said:

To a degree you can’t legislate for individual errors but its a bit simplistic.

Two goals from crosses, one of which was an obvious error too. Then two from other errors. But we were all over the show with zero organisation for both, especially tonight’s. Then you have the 1 on 1 Wigan missed a minute after their first (one through ball and straight in), a 2 on 1 missed tonight where we lose the ball on the edge of their area, the player takes one player on and somehow they’re in.

We look horribly disorganised. It’s a new back 3 but I don’t really buy that as an excuse. Add that to weird stuff like Bird playing as an advanced midfielder (won’t go as far as saying it’s as a 10 but certainly doesn’t suit him and not sure why it’s happening) and I don’t see how anyone can say it isn’t concerning? Don’t really care about the cup but equally don’t agree with outright writing off anything that happens in it, especially when it means it’s 2/2 for home losses.

I don't think that we've looked brilliant, but personally I felt that Derby and Wigan were very well matched sides for large portions of the game, we lost momentum at critical moments due to errors and that without those happening that fans would be saying very different things at this point in the season. Over such a small sample size, we haven't seen a game yet without laughable defensive mistakes. 

3 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Bird and Cashin? 

From what he said after I think it’s only one player. He said he thinks all his players r going out to give 100% but if one player has something on the table it’s hard to not think about because there not robots, and other people can see it.

1 minute ago, 8Leeds said:

It’s not the formation, it’s how it’s being applied. It seems the lessons from Saturday haven’t been learned as from what the highlights show we commit far to many players forward and create massive gaps leaving vulnerable to the counter attack. Long balls punted forward and isolated wing backs trying to whip balls in.

I like Warne but he style of football gives me concerns.

Its the style he wants to play with the players he has available that concerns me. Talk of working harder when most of the squad are the wrong side of 30 and have dodgy injury profiles and don't have the legs. Over-committing players forward when we have no pace in the defensive side of our team. We are a car crash waiting to happen on the break when we lose it and it doesn't even take much quality to exploit the weakness. 

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Here is a question: how much impact do you think defensive mistakes have had on us so far this season? Personally, I believe we conceded at key moments against Wigan from catastrophic mistakes which massively impacted on our performances. Tonight wasn't good, again another defensive error. The senior professionals making these mistakes should be the one receiving the flack. 

Looking at our current back line including the wingbacks, it's mainly fresh faces that have come in. Yes, there will be mistakes with stray back passes and misunderstandings on positioning of defending etc. Until they get to play and train more, that's when the cohesion will develop. We've played 2 matches against 2 teams that were playing in the Championship last season and conceded 4 goals of which 3 were defensive mistakes. If it continues within the next 4 to 6 games, then Warne needs to sack his defensive coach.

Just now, Needlesh said:

That comment about heads being turned. Wow.

Gut instinct is that some thoughts really are better kept inside you skull. 

Now I am worried. His job is to motivate. It ain’t working. 
since he’s been here, he’s failed to get us up to get results in the high stakes games

Just now, Andicis said:

I don't think that we've looked brilliant, but personally I felt that Derby and Wigan were very well matched sides for large portions of the game, we lost momentum at critical moments due to errors and that without those happening that fans would be saying very different things at this point in the season. Over such a small sample size, we haven't seen a game yet without laughable defensive mistakes. 

I get that, I thought the second goal killed us on Saturday and we’d have won the game without that. But how many individual errors can you concede goals from before you consider what’s happening and why? That’s 3 in 2 games that have led to goals and from what I can tell it could be more. Cut open twice in two games that haven’t led to goals, when losing the ball high up the pitch because we have our centre backs committing to every attack for some reason. 

Today you have Elder scrambling across for that header for the second goal and Cashin is running back from the half way line? Why? It’s a long ball from them, what’s he doing up there? So yes it’s a crap header and you can look at that but you can also look at the build up to it happening.

I’m not Warne out or anything silly but I don’t think a manager can hide behind individual errors tbh (and I don’t think he would).

1 minute ago, TheTinMan said:

Its the style he wants to play with the players he has available that concerns me. Talk of working harder when most of the squad are the wrong side of 30 and have dodgy injury profiles and don't have the legs. Over-committing players forward when we have no pace in the defensive side of our team. We are a car crash waiting to happen on the break when we lose it and it doesn't even take much quality to exploit the weakness. 

Even if we had the fastest cb’s in the league I still wouldn’t want to see us leave such huge open space like that.

Against a real quality side we’re going to get drilled like a stripper at a stag do.

33 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

All true Eddie

What can be left at PWs door

A formation that may be alien to some players, We were caught a few times against Wigan with a high press, 2 mistakes(not down to PW)Bradley put in an awkward position for the 1st and our usual assured keeper flaps at a cross for the 2nd.

Tonight Elder puts in a header for their 2nd.

We moved from a 3 to a back 4 line and looked assured last season, This is now PWs team, He's chosen them as they have good characters, I'm a PW fan so he'll have my backing as I've seen some shyte managers over 5 decades of watching DCFC, He's got to be given time enough to get this squad firing together...if he can't then fans will be angry and last years near liquidation will be a distant memory. 

These players are meant to want to play in the Championship. The younger ones. Bird, Cashin etc are also wanting to probably move on and play at a higher level.

If they can only play in one formation they aren't gonna get very far. Managers change formations during games.

They have to learn. He clearly doesn't want them playing sideways or backwards. But they do it anyway.