Conor Hourihane, Derby's next captain.

DerbyAleMan

11 minutes ago, David said:

Just to chime in here and say I like the idea of letting the players decide.

In fact, I would go as far as saying it's a great idea.

They are all professional footballers, most will have played in numerous teams under various captains.

They will know individually more than anyone what they want from their captain and vote accordingly.

As a fan, I couldn't care less who gets the armband, it's not going to affect my life in any way other than see them lead the team out the tunnel.

The captain announcement is on par with the squad numbers announcement. Just a formality. 

Just as long as it doesn’t become a popularity vote rather than a suitability vote. I’m confident it won’t be by the way but that is always a risk with such a selection method.

Having said that, I agree, it’s not much more than a formality same as with squad numbers.

It's also important to mention that the captain does a lot more than we see on a football field.

They set off field standards. They solve problems for players, for example families etc getting tickets. They have a higher expectation with regards to media interviews. They're a two way communication channel between players and management. And probably 100 other things too, but my point is that they can't just walk away from it after 90 mins. Their captaincy is a full time job.

1 minute ago, oodledoodle said:

It's also important to mention that the captain does a lot more than we see on a football field.

They set off field standards. They solve problems for players, for example families etc getting tickets. They have a higher expectation with regards to media interviews. They're a two way communication channel between players and management. And probably 100 other things too, but my point is that they can't just walk away from it after 90 mins. Their captaincy is a full time job.

This isn't 1980. There's no chance Harry Kane is milling around the training ground when training finished 5 hours ago trying to sort out tickets for Son's mum.

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

This isn't 1980. There's no chance Harry Kane is milling around the training ground when training finished 5 hours ago trying to sort out tickets for Son's mum.

No, he probably uses his phone and contacts at the club to sort things for players. Not sure what 1980 has to do with things?

28 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Went well under Keogh 😔

1 minute ago, Anag Ram said:

Need to be focussed and on it this year. Bradley or Nelson for me. Fozzy is too nice and laid back, as is Bird.

You need Fozzy as club captain. He’s an ambassador and a good one. 
on the field, different matter. One who leads and commands respect from the team AND has a level head for those heated moments. In that sense I like the idea of a team vote 

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Have you listened to what Warne said? It’s in this article in text if not, he explains his thinking and that he’s set his expectation with the players as to how and what he expects from a captain;

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-captain-paul-warne-8647288.amp

Also here;

yes i heard the interview. Fine for him to explain his thinking. I don’t agree with it. But as we heard, it was not an anonymous ballot so I suspect it’ll work out ok in the end  

The most worrisome thing about PW is his ‘honesty’ mantra. There’s a point where bluntness becomes destructive -  a little gilding the lily here and there may be what’s needed.  If you visit derby as a potential new star striker you are told ‘you do this on my terms, this is what you will need to do”. It’s not a good sell (unless perhaps the manager’s name is Wayne Rooney). We need a stand out striker because of the way teams set up against us at PP and PW’s  ‘you do this on my terms’ is not a good sell to most of them. The new culture is a good thing, we had lost the plot, and Warne has been a positive in that respect. But the idea that bluntness (‘honesty’) is a necessary part of the new culture is false but it reflects the way Warne operates. We need a star no 9 and many stars need their tummies tickling. I wish someone had tickled McGoldrick’s tummy a bit more 

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

often doesn’t work. The appointed captain will try to do his job in his way and if others are assuming the role, it can cause confusion and worse. And intelligent leaders understand that if others are asked to lead, then the best course might be to stand back, hence losing the qualities of the best leader. Not to mention that if we have a popular, talented but unsuitable leader (eg Fozzie), the natural leader will be hacked off by the gormless democratic process 

What? 🤣

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

Not to mention that if we have a popular, talented but unsuitable leader (eg Fozzie), the natural leader will be hacked off by the gormless democratic process 

Well fear not, Hourihane was captain at Plymouth, then Barnsley. 

Would appear that this "gormless democratic process" has selected someone that has experience in leading clubs.

7 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

So I assume, regarding the "may not always be playing" bit, it's case of Fozzy was probably close but Hourihane won in the end, rather than Hourihane won't be playing every week?

Warne said it was a convincing vote, so didn't sound close.

I would guess he may have repeated what he told the players, being captain doesn't guarantee you play every game, you can be dropped like every other player.

How it should be really. 

25 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

yes i heard the interview. Fine for him to explain his thinking. I don’t agree with it. But as we heard, it was not an anonymous ballot so I suspect it’ll work out ok in the end  

The most worrisome thing about PW is his ‘honesty’ mantra. There’s a point where bluntness becomes destructive -  a little gilding the lily here and there may be what’s needed.  If you visit derby as a potential new star striker you are told ‘you do this on my terms, this is what you will need to do”. It’s not a good sell (unless perhaps the manager’s name is Wayne Rooney). We need a stand out striker because of the way teams set up against us at PP and PW’s  ‘you do this on my terms’ is not a good sell to most of them. The new culture is a good thing, we had lost the plot, and Warne has been a positive in that respect. But the idea that bluntness (‘honesty’) is a necessary part of the new culture is false but it reflects the way Warne operates. We need a star no 9 and many stars need their tummies tickling. I wish someone had tickled McGoldrick’s tummy a bit more 

A different era, I appreciate that, but it seemed to work well for Cloughie...

... and, no, I'm not saying PW is a 2nd BC. He does, however, have a Sports Science Degree and sports psychology is part of that. He is currently doing his Master's in Advanced Sports Nutrition. The bloke will know how far to push honesty and when/where to go all psychological on a player. He has said he tells all potential signings they aren't guaranteed a starting place. IMO he's right to tell them that.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Just as long as it doesn’t become a popularity vote rather than a suitability vote. I’m confident it won’t be by the way but that is always a risk with such a selection method.

Having said that, I agree, it’s not much more than a formality same as with squad numbers.

So why say it then? 😂

Every group has it's natural leaders anyway, I very much doubt that the players would pick someone totally unsuited as their captain - that mistake is far more likely to be made by a manager imo.

Plus this way it means the squad don't get to complain about the choice.

I think we fans make far to much of it anyway.