Conor Hourihane, Derby's next captain.

DerbyAleMan

6 hours ago, valakari said:

The players have picked the captain...

I'm sure Warne said that the club captain may not  necessarily be playing in all the games...which makes me wonder if it is Fozzie??

why have the players picked the captain?  It’s daft. (They may well have picked Fozzie whom they all no doubt love and respect but on field captain is not his thing. )

Warne should pick the on field captain - off field as well if we have two. It’s an important decision and part of his job. I don’t think he liked the idea of telling Hourihane that he is not suitable

3 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

why have the players picked the captain?  It’s daft. (They may well have picked Fozzie whom they all no doubt love and respect but on field captain is not his thing. )

Warne should pick the on field captain - off field as well if we have two. It’s an important decision and part of his job. I don’t think he liked the idea of telling Hourihane that he is not suitable

I think I read that Warne has done this before. Let the players decide who they want to follow. Might have some merits

8 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

The answer is in his interview. He's trying it. He will pick onfield if club captain not playing believe he said - also if player's vote a draw

10 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

The answer is in his interview. He's trying it. He will pick onfield if club captain not playing believe he said - also if player's vote a draw

the problem comes if the player voted as captain IS playing but is not the best choice as captain 

15 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

the problem comes if the player voted as captain IS playing but is not the best choice as captain 

Have you listened to what Warne said? It’s in this article in text if not, he explains his thinking and that he’s set his expectation with the players as to how and what he expects from a captain;

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-captain-paul-warne-8647288.amp

Also here;

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

I'm firmly in the Sonny Bradley camp for Captain.

Whilst he is undoubtedly a good player, I can't believe Warne didn't bring him here not expecting him to be the captain.

I love Fozzie, always have, but he's never been the captain before, probably for a reason, so I just don't get the logic of giving it him now.

Many on here, on various threads have also suggested Bird, if he stays. I wouldn't be against that, if he is playing further up the pitch. Bradley would still no doubt organise things at the back, and no doubt provide Birdy with lots of support. It could be the making of Bird this year.

18 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Not sure why that is an issue?

Personally think we make too much of a big deal over who the captain is. A leader is a leader regardless of an armband or not.

Agreed. There’s no way players like Bradley, Hourihane, Nelson, Smith and Bird stop showing their leadership qualities purely by not having the armband

32 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Not sure why that is an issue?

Personally think we make too much of a big deal over who the captain is. A leader is a leader regardless of an armband or not.

100%. Leaders lead regardless of a bit of extra fabric round their arm.

23 minutes ago, rammieib said:

A leader is a leader regardless of an armband or not.

often doesn’t work. The appointed captain will try to do his job in his way and if others are assuming the role, it can cause confusion and worse. And intelligent leaders understand that if others are asked to lead, then the best course might be to stand back, hence losing the qualities of the best leader. Not to mention that if we have a popular, talented but unsuitable leader (eg Fozzie), the natural leader will be hacked off by the gormless democratic process 

7 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

Not to mention that if we have a popular, talented but unsuitable leader (eg Fozzie), the natural leader will be hacked off by the gormless democratic process 

Worrying that our professional footballers can't see that (in your opinion) Fozzy is not the captain to vote for! 😄

Just to chime in here and say I like the idea of letting the players decide.

In fact, I would go as far as saying it's a great idea.

They are all professional footballers, most will have played in numerous teams under various captains.

They will know individually more than anyone what they want from their captain and vote accordingly.

As a fan, I couldn't care less who gets the armband, it's not going to affect my life in any way other than see them lead the team out the tunnel.

The captain announcement is on par with the squad numbers announcement. Just a formality.