Conor Hourihane, Derby's next captain.

DerbyAleMan

2 hours ago, David said:

Just to chime in here and say I like the idea of letting the players decide.

In fact, I would go as far as saying it's a great idea.

They are all professional footballers, most will have played in numerous teams under various captains.

They will know individually more than anyone what they want from their captain and vote accordingly.

As a fan, I couldn't care less who gets the armband, it's not going to affect my life in any way other than see them lead the team out the tunnel.

The captain announcement is on par with the squad numbers announcement. Just a formality. 

I would go further and say that if it doesn't work out it will be changed.  If someone is unsuitable words will be had.  Warne is only going to give the job to someone he thinks is able.  It is like the pick a card trick: you have the illusion of choice.

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

My only concern is he looks as though he has more of a marathon runner physique, his arms look a bit scrawny for lifting trophies at the end of the season...

Pro cyclists are even worse, you can see them struggling with a bunch of flowers on the tour de France podium at the end of each stage.

well one thing Hourihane IS good at is getting in the referee’s face which sadly is a big part of the role these days. 

As well instituting a crazy process, Warne instituted it too soon. The new arrivals are still getting their boots under their desks and friendlies are very different to the weekly grind  Should have waited 5 or 6 games before that vote

Perhaps it will increase Hourihane’s consistency of effort in which case it will prove an excellent choice  If it doesn’t it will become a problem 

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

As well instituting a crazy process

A crazy process which Guardiola, widely considered to be the best manager around at the minute has done the same, then lifted the Premier League title.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-players-captain-vote-24754845.amp

Oh, Klopp as well

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/322564-klopp-liverpool-vote-van-dijk

What do they know I guess 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 minutes ago, David said:

A crazy process which Guardiola, widely considered to be the best manager around at the minute has done the same, then lifted the Premier League title.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-players-captain-vote-24754845.amp

Oh, Klopp as well

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/322564-klopp-liverpool-vote-van-dijk

Yeah but Warne is doing things differently and I don't like that. I want things to be exactly as I imagine they should be in my own head, and I don't want anything to ever change.

31 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

. He has said he tells all potential signings they aren't guaranteed a starting place. IMO he's right to tell them that.

I heard him say he tells new recruits he employs them to train, not play matches. 

I like that attitude. 

22 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

well one thing Hourihane IS good at is getting in the referee’s face which sadly is a big part of the role these days. 

As well instituting a crazy process, Warne instituted it too soon. The new arrivals are still getting their boots under their desks and friendlies are very different to the weekly grind  Should have waited 5 or 6 games before that vote

Perhaps it will increase Hourihane’s consistency of effort in which case it will prove an excellent choice  If it doesn’t it will become a problem 

Your even looking at ways to bring the process down when you probably agree with the result. 

Unbelievable 

16 minutes ago, David said:

Oh, Klopp as well

I’m guessing this was just luck in some people’s eyes. 

A select few will be wanting us to fail just so they were right. 

29 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

I'd say Hourihane is good at getting in the ref's ear rather than in the ref's face.

That may be important, bearing in mind the touted crackdown on ref's personal space invasion by players.

We don't want some uber aggressive nutter as captain, neither do we want a shrinking violet.

Good choice IMO.

3 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Just as long as it doesn’t become a popularity vote rather than a suitability vote. I’m confident it won’t be by the way but that is always a risk with such a selection method.

Having said that, I agree, it’s not much more than a formality same as with squad numbers.

48 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Because I said “not much more” not “nothing more”.

My Apologies. I was referring to the fact you said about it being a popularity vote rather then a suitability vote.

You then went on to say 'Having said that, I agree, it's not much more than a formality same as squad number.

I found it amusing that you had you say, then said it was a formality anyway.

Just my sense of humour, hence the laughing emoji

2 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

When Birdy was a bit rash in the Sheffield United game, Hourihan stepped in with the ref. My view was admittedly from a distance, but he looked to do an excellent job of diffusing things yet standing our corner at the same time. 

People seem fixated about the match day part of the club captain's role. Paul Warne was very clear that the club captain is the one who leads by example and sets the standards 24/7. Conor Hourihane is the person the squad think is best to do this. Not sure how we can argue with the decision, though of course we will.