Max Bird

FlyBritishMidland

14 minutes ago, sage said:

but you wanted to sell him and bring in 2 players with the proceeds, so asking you to explain that process is reasonable

Fair question but I never said bring in two players with the proceeds, I just said "the sooner we get rid of him to Hull the better". I admit it was a comment made in anger because we lost and I was unhappy with Bird's contribution overall. The implication from comments made is that we are unable to use the proceeds on incoming transfers anyway so it would have been pointless for me to say bring in two players with the proceeds.

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

And yet, he us currently leading the assist charts, which came from his head.

And Fozzy is our top scorer but I won't be having a bet on him remaining our top scorer for too long. I have already explained about the header from Bird in an earlier post.

2 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

Fair question but I never said bring in two players with the proceeds, I just said "the sooner we get rid of him to Hull the better". I admit it was a comment made in anger because we lost and I was unhappy with Bird's contribution overall. The implication from comments made is that we are unable to use the proceeds on incoming transfers anyway so it would have been pointless for me to say bring in two players with the proceeds.

Sorry I had you mixed up with someone else. Glad you are a little happier now. 

Just now, Yoxoram said:

And Fozzy is our top scorer but I won't be having a bet on him remaining our top scorer for too long. I have already explained about the header from Bird in an earlier post.

He could have been the country's top scorer, he had 4 decent attempts on goal

27 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

Off a deflection the ball hit his head. He did at least jump for it but it was hardly a directed header. It luckily found Fozzy.

This forum: "Max Bird needs to get more assists."

Max Bird: *Gets assist in the first game of the season*.

This Forum: "Oh no, not *those* kind of assists"

10 minutes ago, sage said:

Sorry I had you mixed up with someone else. Glad you are a little happier now. 

Thanks Sage, you made me smile. I think the first since Fozzy's goal. The healing process begins and on to the next game. Come on you Rams.

10 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

This forum: "Max Bird needs to get more assists."

Max Bird: *Gets assist in the first game of the season*.

This Forum: "Oh no, not *those* kind of assists"

I'm glad you said "this forum" because I don't believe I've ever said those things on this forum. I may, however, have thought the first 🤔.

41 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

Off a deflection the ball hit his head. He did at least jump for it but it was hardly a directed header. It luckily found Fozzy.

I think people are being a bit pedantic here with your original post buddy... the case in study is a great example of his poor heading ability. Mistimed and weak. We'll take it all day though and it's a tick in the stat column. 

It was not Thorne to Johnny Russell, let's be reyt. 

5 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

I'm glad you said "this forum" because I don't believe I've ever said those things on this forum. I may, however, have thought the first 🤔.

The thing is, if you look at any player that gets a load of assists, they aren't all going to be defence-splitting passes or inch-perfect crosses, there will be the ones that fly off their backside and drop to someone, or the miscued shots that someone gets on the end of.  If Max Bird doesn't get himself in the box and get his head on it, we probably don't score that goal.  He directly impacted the game, and that's what people have been clamouring for.

11 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Love watching bird play. Think with better players around him he’d not look out of place. Wasted at 10. 

A real shame it’s getting to this point with the fans and a local lad. 

He’s not exactly being vilified by thousands on a Saturday. It’s a few on here who are critical.

I like Bird, I think he’s very talented. He does suit a slightly more advanced position, but not a ‘10’. He wasn’t as good as I thought he’d be last season and needs to do better as he has the talent. But we’ve said that with a few players. It’s time they performed. It could be the manager to blame, teammates etc. but if Birds as good as I think he is, he’ll overcome that and be our best player. Time will tell if he’s capable. 

Bird will only look good if the players in front of him make intelligent runs. If they stare blankly at him while heavily marked he’s going to look ordinary.

Any numpty can knock it out to the wings. 

Warne doesn’t seem to appreciate that knocking it wide and getting the big centre forward to bundle it in went out in about 1973.

We have built a club of good young footballers. All we needed was one or two tougher characters to solve the soft underbelly we sometimes showed in the past.

We seem to have thrown the baby out with the bath water.

Too many players slow in thought and deed.

Plan A should be on the deck. Plan B can be route one.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Bird will only look good if the players in front of him make intelligent runs. If they stare blankly at him while heavily marked he’s going to look ordinary.

Any numpty can knock it out to the wings. 

Warne doesn’t seem to appreciate that knocking it wide and getting the big centre forward to bundle it in went out in about 1973.

We have built a club of good young footballers. All we needed was one or two tougher characters to solve the soft underbelly we sometimes showed in the past.

We seem to have thrown the baby out with the bath water.

Too many players slow in thought and deed.

Plan A should be on the deck. Plan B can be route one.

"Warne doesn’t seem to appreciate that knocking it wide and getting the big centre forward to bundle it in went out in about 1973.".....

Like Wigan's winner 🤣🤣🤣🤣

If Warne will play this way for the rest of the season, we should sell Bird. He looked poor out there today because he's not suited to playing this style or in the role he was asked for, and my gut tells me he won't get any better than what we saw. Warne is turning us into a typical league one ugly crossing machine team, so I'm not sure where Max fits with that. Personally, I'd prefer to see the back of Warne and his cronies rather than sell off whatever players we've got left who can play in the division above but i know that won't happen until at least the midpoint in the season.

If we want to be promoted this season then Birdy needs to stay at the club , very talented player who I think is vastly underrated by some fans, Max has been superb in the number 10 role in pre season  and Wigan obviously did their homework on him and reduced the space he had to work in, all part of the learning process in a new role for Max

I created a thread to talk about Max Bird, the player, over in the Derby County forum, but it quickly got filled with transfer talk.

So I am heartened to see the transfer thread on Max Bird full of his discussion on Max Bird, the player. 

My two pence worth - he looked excellent all pre-season playing the advanced midfield role because we were starting from deep. Yesterday the build up play was much slower, so Bird was forced up against the forward line where he was much less effective. That's not his fault, it's those behind him being so ponderous in getting the ball upfield. 

2 hours ago, angieram said:

I created a thread to talk about Max Bird, the player, over in the Derby County forum, but it quickly got filled with transfer talk.

So I am heartened to see the transfer thread on Max Bird full of his discussion on Max Bird, the player. 

My two pence worth - he looked excellent all pre-season playing the advanced midfield role because we were starting from deep. Yesterday the build up play was much slower, so Bird was forced up against the forward line where he was much less effective. That's not his fault, it's those behind him being so ponderous in getting the ball upfield. 

Good players take it upon them selfs to find the ball only because he's in more advanced position doesn't mean he can't drop back to find the ball! Granted he's no number 10. Mcgoldick last season dropped numinous amount of times to find the ball. Just like sibley last season,I  feel he stuggles to have a roll in our team that doesn't suit him. It will suit sibley more this season where bird I feel you can't have him and hourihane in the same midfield too similar you need Bird to work his socks off in with hourihane which he did in previous season yesterday he was static which we ended up getting over ran because of it.