v Wigan (H) Match Thread

Day

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

What this game tells me more than anything is how desperately we need Sibley back. Without him we have so little guile and creativity around the opposition box. Would have made a big difference today. 

We need good creative attacking players full stop.

Bottom line is players will make mistakes and I can give Wildsmith a pass he's generally very reliable and had an excellent season last season, I'm sure he'll bounce back, early days for Bradley, but mistakes are magnified and indeed are more likely to happen because you're under more pressure in the game constantly when you don't have much of a goalscoring threat at the other end and that's not just a goalscorer its a creator from midfield. At the moment we have neither and we're desperate on numbers too. 

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

What this game tells me more than anything is how desperately we need Sibley back. Without him we have so little guile and creativity around the opposition box. Would have made a big difference today. 

We still need some energy and creativity in midfield, and a consistent goal threat up front. That was true last season and hasn't changed just because we've signed a load of defenders and wing backs. Losing Knight and McGoldrick hasn't exactly helped. This isn't the end of the world and there were a lot of positives, but hopefully it's also a wake up call to Clowes as well as Warne

Good: energy and pressing and forward intent. Very early crosses. Great goal from Fozzy. Moved the ball forward very quickly, often putting the opposition on the back foot.

Bad: two defensive errors and often cut open at the back. Real lack of guile, creativity and technique around their box. Slow subs. 

Continue like that and it will be a very long season, not threatening the leaders. 

Edited by Carl Sagan

1 minute ago, JPRamFan said:

Kane Wilson couldn't cross a road. 

It probably doesn't help his case that he replaced Ward, who is a good crosser and showed it today.

I agree Wilson's crossing wasn't very good, but nor were 99% of the crosses we put in last season. It's not been a recent strength of the team.