Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

40 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Loving these customised Trump bad boys.Β  $ 400.Β  I keep getting a flashback of Apollo Creed dancing to Living in America. You can get perfume as well.

He only has to sell a million of these and he could pay the fine for his latest conviction.

18 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

FWIW my Twitter alter ego did get the referee replaced for Barnsley vs Derby this weekend. Amazing to see the power of one post on social media:

168,000 views as I post it here.Β 

We would have won had Madley reffed the game.

Won 5, lost 4 and drew 1 with him in charge, what did you do that for πŸ˜‚

15 hours ago, David said:

We would have won had Madley reffed the game.

Won 5, lost 4 and drew 1 with him in charge, what did you do that for πŸ˜‚

Ha! I wonder as well. So many sliding doors moments supporting Derby - one of which was the Madley game against Burnley. My hope was actually that he would remain the ref for this, but be aware of the scrutiny he would be under, and err on the side of giving us decisions. I missed the game but haven't seen any complaints about the replacement ref.Β 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68380445

Spot on from Aluko here. Horrific for people to have to deal with this sort of abuse

We're at the point now that if people continue to defend new Twitter as "better",Β  because "something something free speech", then they might as well just admit that they simplyΒ  like the fact that people can be abused so openly in public

Β 

51 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68380445

Spot on from Aluko here. Horrific for people to have to deal with this sort of abuse

We're at the point now that if people continue to defend new Twitter as "better",Β  because "something something free speech", then they might as well just admit that they simplyΒ  like the fact that people can be abused so openly in public

Β 

Everyone should be scared of people who want to curtail free speech.

They want controlled speech that suits their own ideology which is based upon fear mongering with no right to reply.

Free speech is a basic human right that should be never taken away from any society.Β 
Β 

Edited by cstand

1 hour ago, cstand said:

Everyone should be scared of people who want to curtail free speech.

They want controlled speech that suits their own ideology which is based upon fear mongering with no right to reply.

Free speech is a basic human right that should be never taken away from any society.Β 
Β 

It's only free speech if people publish it in their own names. That way, if someone thinks they've crossed a line, they can confront them directly. Allot of the abuse that Aluko and others receive is anonymous, so can't be challenged, and much of it so obviously misogynistic and designed to demean the target that it's amazing anyone would try to defend it.

Musk has definitely made Twitter/X worse in that respect from what I've seen.

For better or worse X is attempting to allow community moderation.Β  The alternative is Govt control and whilst you might like the Govt in power atm (I'm talking in the US that have the real power to control Google, X, Meta etc) Govts come and go.Β  Maybe you won't like the next lot in charge and what they deem acceptable speech.Β 

Alternatively we could let the mega corps such as Alphabet (Gemini AI haha) or Microsoft/Amazon etc dictate what we're allowed to see and say?Β  In a world a bad solutions, X is currently the best we've got (and for clarity I'm not saying its perfect, far from it).Β  If you really don't think it is, name one thats better.Β  If you can't maybe the continuing obsession with just Musk is a marker that you've been swayed by your political leanings rather than the current state of X.Β 

On a related note, did you see the kicking Zuckerberg and Facebook got in the recent US hearings?Β  Probably not because unlike Musk he's not in political opposition to the establishment.Β  In short, basically Meta's own studies show that they are having a detrimental effect on kids mental health and are pushing paedophilic content to those that search for it but are doing nothing about it.Β  But Musk bad man *shakes fist*

24 minutes ago, maxjam said:

For better or worse X is attempting to allow community moderation.Β  The alternative is Govt control and whilst you might like the Govt in power atm (I'm talking in the US that have the real power to control Google, X, Meta etc) Govts come and go.Β  Maybe you won't like the next lot in charge and what they deem acceptable speech.Β 

Alternatively we could let the mega corps such as Alphabet (Gemini AI haha) or Microsoft/Amazon etc dictate what we're allowed to see and say?Β  In a world a bad solutions, X is currently the best we've got (and for clarity I'm not saying its perfect, far from it).Β  If you really don't think it is, name one thats better.Β  If you can't maybe the continuing obsession with just Musk is a marker that you've been swayed by your political leanings rather than the current state of X.Β 

On a related note, did you see the kicking Zuckerberg and Facebook got in the recent US hearings?Β  Probably not because unlike Musk he's not in political opposition to the establishment.Β  In short, basically Meta's own studies show that they are having a detrimental effect on kids mental health and are pushing paedophilic content to those that search for it but are doing nothing about it.Β  But Musk bad man *shakes fist*

The Gemini AI fiasco resulted in a 90 Billion dollar share price sell off.
People complain Musk paid 55 Billion dollars for Twitter/X.

Good to see Musk followers can see the funny side against a serious issue of Gemini AI misleading the public.Β 

Β 

Edited by cstand

25 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Facebook has always been awful, so this is no surprise. The point many of us are trying to make here is that Twitter used to be OK (far from perfect but you could get what you needed out of it) - but the new owner has de facto ruined it for everyone except for the bigots, trolls and spambots.

I've already said that Community Notes is a good idea, and seems to work OK, but I'm fairly sure people will just give up eventually as your p155ing into the wind. I also see that even Space Karen has started arguing with people noting himΒ πŸ˜‚Β https://mashable.com/article/elon-musk-arguing-community-notesΒ 

Musk has not ruined it for everyone just people that don’t want to hear other people’s opinions.Β 
Β 

https://inspirevirtue.com/thomas-sowell-speaks-the-truth-there-are-no-solutions-only-trade-offs/

Edited by cstand

1 hour ago, cstand said:

Musk has not ruined it for everyone just people that don’t want to hear other people’s opinions.Β 
Β 

https://inspirevirtue.com/thomas-sowell-speaks-the-truth-there-are-no-solutions-only-trade-offs/

Read @David's posts about why Twitter has gone to the dogs. None of his points are political and are all based on the actual experience of using the app.

The free speech thing is subjective, but the day-to-day experience of the average Twitter is objectively far worse than it was pre-Musk. The ludicrous amount of sex bots, the paid blue ticks always being at the top of the replies, the way that people are now financially incentivized to piss people off, etc. That's nothing to do with the free speech issue. Twitter is now a crap experience.

20 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Read @David's posts about why Twitter has gone to the dogs. None of his points are political and are all based on the actual experience of using the app.

The free speech thing is subjective, but the day-to-day experience of the average Twitter is objectively far worse than it was pre-Musk. The ludicrous amount of sex bots, the paid blue ticks always being at the top of the replies, the way that people are now financially incentivized to piss people off, etc. That's nothing to do with the free speech issue. Twitter is now a crap experience.

I will balance that - twitter spent an unsustainable amount of money to do that. Twitter was losing money.Β 

As long as they have stopped losing money then it's an understandable commercial decision.Β