Twitter Rebrand to ๐•

Day

Elon Musk announces more changes to X - following claims user numbers have plummeted

Research suggests worldwide daily users of the app have fallen by 15% in the past year - while other social media platforms experienced "modest" growth. X said the figure was "incorrect".

https://news.sky.com/story/elon-musk-announces-more-changes-to-x-following-claims-user-numbers-have-plummeted-13103101

image.thumb.png.8bf1cbf7deb36ce8f03c1c44d5d8c766.png

6 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

What does that have to do with Twitter?

I think he's arguing that it's no worse than the competition, but those people who are ex supporters of twitter but are not happy with the current offering are arguing it's worse in comparison to what it used to be.ย  Which apparently there doesn't seem to be an any argument.ย 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I think he's arguing that it's no worse than the competition, but those people who are ex supporters of twitter but are not happy with the current offering are arguing it's worse in comparison to what it used to be.ย  Which apparently there doesn't seem to be an any argument.ย 

No one is arguing that all the social mediaย  companies aren't terrible in their own way.ย 

But only one of them has been taken over by an entitled billionaire man baby with the express intent of "making it better". Which is the exact topic of this thread.

If all someone has to offer to the debate is "Facebook is a bad too" then you wonder why they bother. I better they are a delight at dinner partiesย 

ย 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

No one is arguing that all the social mediaย  companies aren't terrible in their own way.ย 

But only one of them has been taken over by an entitled billionaire man baby with the express intent of "making it better". Which is the exact topic of this thread.

If all someone has to offer to the debate is "Facebook is a bad too" then you wonder why they bother. I better they are a delight at dinner partiesย 

ย 

In fact, he's spent $44 billion to be just as bad as Facebook. A platform I regularly contemplate removing.ย 

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

In fact, he's spent $44 billion to be just as bad as Facebook. A platform I regularly contemplate removing.ย 

Facebook went to the dogs years ago tbf. I get the sense it's not a particularly important part of Meta's long-term strategy.

12 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Facebook went to the dogs years ago tbf. I get the sense it's not a particularly important part of Meta's long-term strategy.

I suspect it's primary purpose is now to harvest people's data for unspecified use in the meta verseย 

From The Independent:

AOC skewers Elon Muskโ€™s anti-immigrant stance with four-word tweet

Representativeย Alexandria Ocasio-Cortezย has called out tech billionaireย Elon Muskย for a baseless anti-immigration post.

Responding to a post from Mr Musk that claimed Democrats want to โ€œimport voters,โ€ the progressive New York lawmaker pointed out an undeniable fact in response on Thursday.

โ€œYouโ€™re literally an immigrant,โ€ Ms Ocasio-Cortez wrote onย X. Mr Musk was born and raised in South Africa โ€” he moved to Canada in 1988 before migrating to the US.

โ€œAnd for everyone saying โ€˜yeah, but legal!!โ€™ may I once again remind you that seeking asylum is legal, too,โ€ the lawmaker continued.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/aoc-elon-musk-immigration-b2520835.html

7 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

From The Independent:

AOC skewers Elon Muskโ€™s anti-immigrant stance with four-word tweet

Representativeย Alexandria Ocasio-Cortezย has called out tech billionaireย Elon Muskย for a baseless anti-immigration post.

Responding to a post from Mr Musk that claimed Democrats want to โ€œimport voters,โ€ the progressive New York lawmaker pointed out an undeniable fact in response on Thursday.

โ€œYouโ€™re literally an immigrant,โ€ Ms Ocasio-Cortez wrote onย X. Mr Musk was born and raised in South Africa โ€” he moved to Canada in 1988 before migrating to the US.

โ€œAnd for everyone saying โ€˜yeah, but legal!!โ€™ may I once again remind you that seeking asylum is legal, too,โ€ the lawmaker continued.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/aoc-elon-musk-immigration-b2520835.html

AOC. ย I apologise

Musk. Nobody is perfect.

AOC. Body language, take me now Musk baby.

This will never grow old. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

ย 

Edited by cstand

On 29/03/2024 at 17:10, Stive Pesley said:

ย 

Four of the largest school boards in Ontario Canada are taking social media to court because they are designed to be addictive disruptive and detrimental to young peopleโ€™s mental health.

1. Meta/facebook/Instagram

2. Snapchat

3. Tik Tok.

Thirty Three states in the US are also taking Meta to court.

29/03/24

https://apnews.com/article/canada-schools-social-media-lawsuit-179873076587ca57ba7e24f836dc604b

Not sure how many teachers go to dinner parties. ๐Ÿ˜€

https://apnews.com/article/metachildrenteensharmslawsuit-17858802d76143d358e38ee15150dc94
ย 

ย 

Edited by cstand

1 hour ago, cstand said:

Four of the largest school boards in Ontario Canada are taking social media to court because they are designed to be addictive disruptive and detrimental to young peopleโ€™s mental health.

1. Meta/facebook/Instagram

2. Snapchat

3. Tik Tok.

Thirty Three states in the US are also taking Meta to court.

29/03/24

https://apnews.com/article/canada-schools-social-media-lawsuit-179873076587ca57ba7e24f836dc604b

Not sure how many teachers go to dinner parties. ๐Ÿ˜€

https://apnews.com/article/metachildrenteensharmslawsuit-17858802d76143d358e38ee15150dc94
ย 

ย 

You keep going on about stuff like this and I'm genuinely trying to give you chance to post, but I don't see any relevance regarding X/twitter. I part think I should remove it, and also don't want to dictate the content of the thread. But I don't get the relevance. Yes, the market for social media is full of firms that put profits ahead of their user base. What's that to do with Twitter?ย 

34 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

You keep going on about stuff like this and I'm genuinely trying to give you chance to post, but I don't see any relevance regarding X/twitter. I part think I should remove it, and also don't want to dictate the content of the thread. But I don't get the relevance. Yes, the market for social media is full of firms that put profits ahead of their user base. What's that to do with Twitter?ย 

Twitter/X is a social media platform that is being criticised in this thread so itโ€™s only natural there has to be a comparison to other social media platforms to judge if these criticisms are justified or just a criticism of Elon Musk.

I was actually thinking of starting a new thread Elon Musk good or bad for humanity so any criticism against Elon Musk either in Twitter,SpaceX or EV threads could be moved by the mods so we can concentrate on the subject at hand.ย 
ย 

I can start a thread if you think that would be beneficial?

ย 

Edited by cstand

37 minutes ago, cstand said:

Twitter/X is a social media platform that is being criticised in this thread so itโ€™s only natural there has to be a comparison to other social media platforms to judge if these criticisms are justified or just a criticism of Elon Musk.

I was actually thinking of starting a new thread Elon Musk good or bad for humanity so any criticism against Elon Musk either in Twitter,SpaceX or EV threads could be moved by the mods so we can concentrate on the subject at hand.ย 
ย 

I can start a thread if you think that would be beneficial?

ย 

I think that's what this thread and the spacex threads are about. But the posts about Facebook/Meta don't go any way to answer that question, do they? They mostly seem to be saying "social media good or bad for humanity", but there's really not going to be much argument that they are collectively bad. The only difference is that the supporters of Musk are claiming X is good for humanity, where everyone else is saying all social media is bad for humanity.ย 

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

How other social media companies compare with the new twitter is clearly relevant to many people on the thread. In this case, everyone else except Twitter is being sued for damaging children's mental health. Bizarre to suggest deleting it.