Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

everyone else except Twitter is being sued for damaging children's mental health. 

I'm sure they would be if any kids actually used it, but they don't. 

Weirdly a platform that's mainly full of Nazis, bots and  Nazi bots doesn't appeal to kids 😂

Some embarrassing Whataboutery creeping into this thread. Do you old folks grasp that folk won't stop hating on Musk because you hate on his competitors, though I use the term 'competitors' in its loosest sense. Even now, certain folk seem to struggle to see why folk really dislike Musk, but then the same folk loved Trump, Boris and Brexit so perhaps they're just a tad dim and struggle to learn from their mistakes?

Age Demographics...

https://sproutsocial.com/insights/new-social-media-demographics/#twitter

Total users (not including bots)...

https://buffer.com/library/social-media-sites/

So really, what's the point of the comparisons again and what do they tell us about Musk and his takeover of Twitter? That he loves kids? Not his own, obviously, but other people's?

Meh.

26 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Some embarrassing Whataboutery creeping into this thread. Do you old folks grasp that folk won't stop hating on Musk because you hate on his competitors, though I use the term 'competitors' in its loosest sense. Even now, certain folk seem to struggle to see why folk really dislike Musk, but then the same folk loved Trump, Boris and Brexit so perhaps they're just a tad dim and struggle to learn from their mistakes?

Age Demographics...

https://sproutsocial.com/insights/new-social-media-demographics/#twitter

Total users (not including bots)...

https://buffer.com/library/social-media-sites/

So really, what's the point of the comparisons again and what do they tell us about Musk and his takeover of Twitter? That he loves kids? Not his own, obviously, but other people's?

Meh.

This hating on anyone will be outlawed in Scotland now so us jocks won’t be able to post on this thread anymore ,, just in case we get a knock on the door ,,,, yes I know I live in England but I wouldn’t put anything past the snp 😂

15 minutes ago, Archied said:

This hating on anyone will be outlawed in Scotland now so us jocks won’t be able to post on this thread anymore ,, just in case we get a knock on the door ,,,, yes I know I live in England but I wouldn’t put anything past the snp 😂

You'll be fine. They proved when they set the terms for eligibility for the independence Referendum that they don't care about the Scottish diaspora. At least, that's the impression they give.

On 31/03/2024 at 16:20, Carl Sagan said:

How other social media companies compare with the new twitter is clearly relevant to many people on the thread. In this case, everyone else except Twitter is being sued for damaging children's mental health. Bizarre to suggest deleting it.

But this was Davids thread to discuss the name change. It's turned into a bit of a discussion around the new owner, as it seems to be his idea to change the name despite it being a global brand. It's also turned into a discussion about other changes he's spearheaded.

I don't think David wanted a thread to argue about the politics of social media, but there's bound to be a bit of that in a conversation about Musk and Twitter / X. So, as long as we can keep the thread title in mind, I'll let you carry on with it. 

Will be interesting to see how this one plays out 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2ygp5pdqlo

A Brazilian Supreme Court judge has opened an inquiry into Elon Musk after the multi-billionaire said he would reactivate accounts on the social media platform X, formerly Twitter, that the judge had ordered to be blocked.

Mr Musk posted on the platform, external that the restrictions had been lifted because the court order was unconstitutional.

Remember when Musk said last year that he "cannot go beyond the laws of the country to defend free speech" and he censored anti-Erdogan accounts in Turkey as a result?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/05/musk-defends-enabling-turkish-censorship-on-twitter-calling-it-his-choice/

The fact that he's willing to challenge the laws of a country when it comes to the "free speech" of far-right Bolsanaro supporters tells us all we need to know about the Twitter bin-fire

9 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Will be interesting to see how this one plays out 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cv2ygp5pdqlo

Remember when Musk said last year that he "cannot go beyond the laws of the country to defend free speech" and he censored anti-Erdogan accounts in Turkey as a result?

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2023/05/musk-defends-enabling-turkish-censorship-on-twitter-calling-it-his-choice/

The fact that he's willing to challenge the laws of a country when it comes to the "free speech" of far-right Bolsanaro supporters tells us all we need to know about the Twitter bin-fire

Musk's fanbois don't care though, Stive. He could take a dump in their mouths and they'd still be fine with it as long as some members of the wokist cult had to smell it. I cite Trump, Brexit and Boris Blowhard as precedents. Meanwhile, my 'bot collection' grows by the day 👽

17 minutes ago, Highgate said:

That Matt Walsh seems like a perfectly reasonable bloke too... 🙄.  Is X full of those loons now? 

Yup. I can't escape them when I go on. Can't figure out whether it's because the algorithm is deliberately pushing it, or because I stupidly engage by looking at all the morons in the comments, which makes it think I'm interested in that content.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Yup. I can't escape them when I go on. Can't figure out whether it's because the algorithm is deliberately pushing it, or because I stupidly engage by looking at all the morons in the comments, which makes it think I'm interested in that content.

Difficult not to look at the crazy comments sometimes though, I'm sure a lot of people are falling into the same trap. 

Like the orange fella over at Truth Social, love him or hate him the nonsense he spouts is very hard to ignore.  

I suppose that's the model that X and other social media platforms are running with, promote the crazy, the controversial and the confrontational and people will pay attention. 

On 13/04/2024 at 17:49, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Well, you made me Google Ben Shapiro a while back and ever since then I see his opinions everywhere. Even when his points are valid they come from a horrid place. Ignorance was bliss. 

So may this Matt Walsh fella haunt you forever. 

On 13/04/2024 at 12:02, Highgate said:

Difficult not to look at the crazy comments sometimes though, I'm sure a lot of people are falling into the same trap. 

Like the orange fella over at Truth Social, love him or hate him the nonsense he spouts is very hard to ignore.  

I suppose that's the model that X and other social media platforms are running with, promote the crazy, the controversial and the confrontational and people will pay attention. 

Even away from politics, on subjects like football, people just post pure engagement bait, because more comments and interaction means more revenue. The decision to give posters revenue may have been made with good intentions, but it’s made the app worse overall imo. 

At least with the football is just harmless entertainment, but search for the phrase

"Who are you supporting in this war?"

and there are hundreds of thousands of bots/blue ticks posting this over and over again.

RT for Iran LIKE for Israel

It's not the bloody X Factor or the Merseyside derby...it's real life and people are being killed - but the so-called "saviour of humanity" is just racking up the $$$ by monetising war like it's a 21st century parlour game 😞

And there you have it...

X owner Elon Musk suggested Monday new users on the social network formerly known as Twitter will need to pay a small fee to use basic functions on the platform—a change he says is needed to combat a bot problem that has plagued the site for years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoniopequenoiv/2024/04/15/musk-will-charge-new-x-users-small-fee-for-posting-tweet-suggests/#:~:text=X owner Elon Musk suggested,plagued the site for years.