Twitter Rebrand to š¯•¸

Day

28 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

And there you have it...

X owner Elon MuskĀ suggestedĀ Monday new users on the social network formerly known as Twitter will need to pay a small fee to use basic functions on the platformā€”a change he says is needed to combat aĀ bot problemĀ that has plagued the site for years.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antoniopequenoiv/2024/04/15/musk-will-charge-new-x-users-small-fee-for-posting-tweet-suggests/#:~:text=X owner Elon Musk suggested,plagued the site for years.

Ā 

It will certainly be very interesting if they roll this out globally.

I have no interest in paying $1 a year to post on Twitter when I only ever read it. I suspect that outside of the blue tick w**kers there will be a considerable proportion of users in the same boat as me

Take out those AND take out the bots and who do you have left? The danger is that it will clearly expose how few real users the site actually has

Ā 

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Head of the America's what?

Americas X she has joined the executive team headed by the CEO Linda Yocarrino.Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Edited by cstand

10 hours ago, cstand said:

Ā 

Interesting - but does anyone actually use Twitter because they think "oh I hope that I get some ads targeted at me that will make me want to buy something"? Most users will block the accounts of advertisers anyway. It's not what they want from the app

The fact that they now have some sort of smoke and mirrors AI which allows "algorithms to reach people beyond your targeted audience" sounds good for the advertisers, but bad for the users and will turn them away. Which in the long run is bad for the advertisers. All feels like a death spiral to me

3 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Interesting - but does anyone actually use Twitter because they think "oh I hope that I get some ads targeted at me that will make me want to buy something"? Most users will block the accounts of advertisers anyway. It's not what they want from the app

The fact that they now have some sort of smoke and mirrors AI which allows "algorithms to reach people beyond your targeted audience" sounds good for the advertisers, but bad for the users and will turn them away. Which in the long run is bad for the advertisers. All feels like a death spiral to me

AI is definitely the way forward.

Is it Grok?Ā 

Er...Ā 

Screenshot_20240419_140858_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3b708e7e910bdf3af0e037bd1c336079.jpg

6 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Advertisers want social media users

Ā 

Edited by cstand

6 minutes ago, cstand said:

Ā 

Ā 

on what planet is it a "news app" and which 161 countries?? The lack of a source makes it ripe for some serious community notes!

I assume that this one of his shadow accounts? This is a far more interesting tweet. I'm wondering if the one you posted was a honey trap, as the vast majority of replies are engagement farmers

Ā 

17 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

on what planet is it a "news app" and which 161 countries?? The lack of a source makes it ripe for some serious community notes!

I assume that this one of his shadow accounts? This is a far more interesting tweet. I'm wondering if the one you posted was a honey trap, as the vast majority of replies are engagement farmers

Ā 

The change from Twitter to X obviously will be a slow process but change is happening that will increase users.

Mistakes will be made same as Tesla and SpaceX but I would back Musk because he is a winner.

Ā 

https://help.twitter.com/en/using-x/direct-messages/audio-video-calls

Edited by cstand

3 minutes ago, cstand said:

The change from Twitter to X obviously will be a slow process but change is happening that will increase users.

https://help.twitter.com/en/using-x/direct-messages/audio-video-calls

Great! They have added a feature that literally every other app has had for years...Ā 

Who is going to switch to using Twitter for this, when they've embedded the use of other apps for it?

What is his market differentiator here that will convince people to change apps?

Stuff like this really just underlines how much of a dead duck the app is. What will he add next? A calendar function, or maybe Snake

12 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Great! They have added a feature that literally every other app has had for years...Ā 

Who is going to switch to using Twitter for this, when they've embedded the use of other apps for it?

What is his market differentiator here that will convince people to change apps?

Stuff like this really just underlines how much of a dead duck the app is. What will he add next? A calendar function, or maybe Snake

Musk has a proven track record of success which you cannot deny.

People ridiculed Tesla and Space X years ago saying it would not work.

When he takes SpaceX/Starlink public in five years time I expect X will be part of the deal.

https://www.scottishmortgage.com/en/uk/individual-investors/holdings/space-exploration-technologies

Edited by cstand

9 minutes ago, cstand said:

Musk has a proven track record of success which you cannot deny.

People ridiculed Tesla and Space X years ago saying it would not work.

When he takes SpaceX/Starlink public in five years time I expect X will be part of the deal.

https://www.scottishmortgage.com/en/uk/individual-investors/holdings/space-exploration-technologies

Over here in pedants' corner, we'd like to point out that Space X still hasn't worked.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Over here in pedants' corner, we'd like to point out that Space X still hasn't worked.

SpaceX is the most successful space company there's every been. It launches 90% of the entirety of the world's mass to orbit each year. It's only mid-April and it's already launched and landed 40 orbital missions. And is the only private company (not a nation) to ever fly people into low-Earth orbit, to the space station and beyond. Nearly 50 astronauts have flown this way. Then it has more than 5,500 Starlink satellites in orbit, more than half the total number of satellites there are. Yours is some very strange new meaning of the term "hasn't worked" with which I was previously unaware.

Even though Musk didn't buy Twitter to turn a profit, it's extraordinary real-time massive data, feeding into Grok, will likely end up turning it into the most valuable AI company there is. No one else has anything remotely comparable. All the other large language models have cutoffs when their training data ends.

15 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Even though Musk didn't buy Twitter to turn a profit, it's extraordinary real-time massive data, feeding into Grok, will likely end up turning it into the most valuable AI company there is. No one else has anything remotely comparable. All the other large language models have cutoffs when their training data ends.

Why aren't the likes of Facebook or Tiktok remotely comparable in terms of real-time massive data?

And with seemingly so much bot/AI generated content on Twitter, is that really a good dataset to train AI on?

When Iran attempted to bomb Israel, I went on X, clicked on the trending topic and after 30 seconds I just gave up.

All it was is a bunch of copy and pasted tweets from different accounts.

RT if you support Israel, like if you support Iran. Literal copy and pastes.

Then, no Sanatani will scroll past this without liking, with some gif of an Indian woman.

No news outlets, no journalists, nothing but these tweets after each other. I tried blocking keywords, they only work in your home feed. I started blocking accounts, yet refreshing it was populated with more of the same.

I don't care what the Musk fanboys say about his stats and revenue claims, the platform is a shadow of its former self, it's utter s*** is what it is.Ā 

Had he just followed his free speech dream and left everything alone, not touched a thing then it wouldn't be an issue.Ā 

Every single change he's made is a backwards step, the latest one paying users to post has created this viral copy and paste nonsense which is damaged the ability to follow events in real time.Ā 

I hate there has been no group of developers financially backed to bring a real alternative to this shitshow.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 10.43.55.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 10.44.11.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 10.46.09.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 10.47.52.png

1 hour ago, David said:

When Iran attempted to bomb Israel, I went on X, clicked on the trending topic and after 30 seconds I just gave up.

All it was is a bunch of copy and pasted tweets from different accounts.

RT if you support Israel, like if you support Iran. Literal copy and pastes.

Then, no Sanatani will scroll past this without liking, with some gif of an Indian woman.

No news outlets, no journalists, nothing but these tweets after each other. I tried blocking keywords, they only work in your home feed. I started blocking accounts, yet refreshing it was populated with more of the same.

I don't care what the Musk fanboys say about his stats and revenue claims, the platform is a shadow of its former self, it's utter s*** is what it is.Ā 

Had he just followed his free speech dream and left everything alone, not touched a thing then it wouldn't be an issue.Ā 

Every single change he's made is a backwards step, the latest one paying users to post has created this viral copy and paste nonsense which is damaged the ability to follow events in real time.Ā 

I hate there has been no group of developers financially backed to bring a real alternative to this shitshow.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 10.43.55.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 10.44.11.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 10.46.09.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 10.47.52.png

I would usually agree with all that, but all those posts from Cricket Lover shows how they know exactly what content you consume, even if you pretend that is not the case!

Just now, ariotofmyown said:

I would usually agree with all that, but all those posts from Cricket Lover shows how they know exactly what content you consume, even if you pretend that is not the case!

Funny thing is, go look at the account, barely anything about cricket.Ā 

And look at the impressions these are getting, they have 635 followers yet 17k views one of them, his latest one over 4k in 25 minutes.

Probably getting paid for all that s**** as well.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.33.11.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.33.42.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.33.56.png

12 minutes ago, David said:

Funny thing is, go look at the account, barely anything about cricket.Ā 

And look at the impressions these are getting, they have 635 followers yet 17k views one of them, his latest one over 4k in 25 minutes.

Probably getting paid for all that s**** as well.

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.33.11.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.33.42.png

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 12.33.56.png

You don't know they are about cricket because you don't understand cricket. Or the language they are written in. That final image of the cat dressed in both umpire attire with the above spin doctor joke is simply brilliant. This wouldn't have been possible on the old twitter, where you would have only seen so-called "news" by those msm "journalists". Viva la free speech.