Leeds V Derby

beardyjim

15 hours ago, Ratpackram said:

Playing mason Bennett upfront and we looked toothless until Holmes got injured and Marriott came on and we ripped them apart so why the duck did he play mason Bennett upfront against villa in the final ?    2 down with 25 mins left and he brings on Marriott and waghorn and we just ran out of time ..... Hindsight is a wonderful thing but lampard should have learned his lesson from the second leg against Leeds 

Because neither were fit. 

15 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

A better manager like Neil Warnock would have easily gotten us promoted that season.

With Waggy and Jack both not fit to start and good for 20 to 30 minutes each, according to the medical staff, I don't think Colin W or Fergie or even Old Big 'Ead could have won that Wembley game. Just my opinion based on the facts and that doesn't make it right but I think Lamps got it right and a late 1st half blunder by Roos blew the game plan out of the water.

On 19/07/2023 at 18:11, vonwright said:

Marriott's a strange one. So much ability, yet his career seems to slide ever-downward. 

Would definitely have started him in the final though. 

We had a lad at school, epic 400/800 metre runner, speed and stamina, natural athlete but he was a joker. Training ? “Wassat” 

he was leading a race on sports day and stopped so his mate, who was last, could catch up. Scandalised head master and bemused mums and dads 🤣

I think Marriot had a bit of that in him. 

People focus on the striker issue in that game, but I still can't get over the lack of cover on the left for Ashley Cole. He was absolutely exposed for 90 mins. There was nobody in front of him. I remember being at Wembley and not being able to work out who was meant to be on the left. Johnson is my best guess, but he drifted inside fair too often.

Watch their goals back. From my beer sozzled memory, it's due to Cole being exposed.

25 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

People focus on the striker issue in that game, but I still can't get over the lack of cover on the left for Ashley Cole. He was absolutely exposed for 90 mins. There was nobody in front of him. I remember being at Wembley and not being able to work out who was meant to be on the left. Johnson is my best guess, but he drifted inside fair too often.

Watch their goals back. From my beer sozzled memory, it's due to Cole being exposed.

and a 6ft 4'' goalie losing a ball in the air to bloke who was 5ft and a cigarette nub.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

This.

Roos cost us that game.

This was such a dissapointing moment, I saw Roos go for it, relax as he was clearly to catch it, and then looked on deflated and stunned as the ball rolled into the back of the net wondering what the f*** I had just seen.

Despite that I won't blame him for the loss, like I won't blame Steve Cherry for his mistake in an earlier season.

Bennett was in the best run of form he’d had at Derby and had played a pivotal role throughout that season, he was also involved in quite a few important goals. To be honest without the role he’d played at leeds I doubt we’d have even been in that final. I presume the plan was to start Bennett, stay in the game and fire the defence before bringing Marriott on as an impact but it didn’t go to plan for obvious reasons. 

Maybe Marriott could have started but I do think we needed Bennett in the side at that time

2 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Bennett was in the best run of form he’d had at Derby and had played a pivotal role throughout that season, he was also involved in quite a few important goals. To be honest without the role he’d played at leeds I doubt we’d have even been in that final. I presume the plan was to start Bennett, stay in the game and fire the defence before bringing Marriott on as an impact but it didn’t go to plan for obvious reasons. 

Maybe Marriott could have started but I do think we needed Bennett in the side at that time

Probably Bennetts best ever game for Derby. He hit the post with a header, flicked on the ball that led to Marriotts first goal and won the penalty that Harry smashed in.

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/07/2023 at 17:19, Ratpackram said:

Playing mason Bennett upfront and we looked toothless until Holmes got injured and Marriott came on and we ripped them apart so why the duck did he play mason Bennett upfront against villa in the final ?    2 down with 25 mins left and he brings on Marriott and waghorn and we just ran out of time ..... Hindsight is a wonderful thing but lampard should have learned his lesson from the second leg against Leeds 

Lampard did what he had to do for Frank Lampard’s best interests. Bennett had never been a prolific goalscorer, and Nugent always needed a hatful of chances to even get a shot on target, while Marriott and Waghorn were in a goal run at the time. 

If Frank had put his best strikers on at the start and we’d won he would find it really difficult to run off to the bridge. Which is why he didn’t bring them on until it was too late to save the game.

When they did come on the Villa kit man was on the phone trying to get a set of brown shorts sent in. We scored within a matter of minutes, and we could easily have pulled things back with only 10 or so minutes extra.

Frank spoke briefly with each player after the final whistle, then spent the rest of the time circling round the melee of players, to my mind he was considering that ge wouldn’t get this level of rapport with the fans when he got to Chelsea. What there was between him and the Derby fans was phenomenal, but he spat it out into the gutter like a mouthful of phlegm.