Jordan Rhodes - gone to Blackpool

Topram

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

If he’s not going to be a regular starter but still contributes 10+ a season then it should be a no brainer for a one year deal at least (subject to wages of course). The big question though is would he really score 10+ goals?

Not based on what we, Coventry or Huddersfield have seen from him for the past 2-3 years.

There seems to be a bit of an 'any port in a storm' mentality emerging from people borne out of our lack of attacking incomings.

11 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Not based on what we, Coventry or Huddersfield have seen from him for the past 2-3 years.

There seems to be a bit of an 'any port in a storm' mentality emerging from people borne out of our lack of attacking incomings.

I agree but the original poster did say “at this level”. I still wouldn’t be convinced but, you never know.

45 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree but the original poster did say “at this level”. I still wouldn’t be convinced but, you never know.

I liked him in his first spell, but he was never a player you could apply the term "the first five yards are in his head" to, and that won't change whatever level he's playing at.

I just have a feeling that if he was to be signed we'd have a season watching him chase shadows, tiring himself out and then struggling to impact games when he does get the ball. Even the Stoke game seemed too high intensity for him, and that was played at walking pace for much of the second half.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Last got into double figures when he was 26, he's now 33. Promising career fell away when should have entered peak years and kicked on. 

Should be looking at a younger player to be pushing Collins for a start with the potential to improve and increase value.

1 minute ago, JCRam said:

Last got into double figures when he was 26, he's now 33. Promising career fell away when should have entered peak years and kicked on. 

Should be looking at a younger player to be pushing Collins for a start with the potential to improve and increase value.

If we need a budget version, I’d really like a Dobbin or similar with electrifying pace who can stretch and distract defenders. Even if that player isn’t prolific he will help those around him.

Rhodes sounds poor VFM and it’s dangerous to buy a player based on success in the distant past, especially if that player is earning more than those around him.

7 hours ago, StarterForTen said:

I fear you have been reading too many romantic novels this summer… ALL players are guns for hire and largely at any club for the pay cheques. I doubt Rhodes - or any of this summer’s new recruits for that matter - see playing for Derby as an honour.

And the ‘quibbling’ is more likely over £500k - the difference between his contract at Huddersfield and his likely salary for the coming season elsewhere. 

I agree to an extent when your after the first couple of contracts.  I've said myself you won't get the same level of player in this league as we did in the 80's as it's more cash driven. I feel more would be looking at the club they'll be playing for after 10 years of stuffing their bank account though.  Derby v any other team in this league, if you have security, is a no brainer if I was a player.

18 hours ago, Ambitious said:

With all due respect, you’re reading a website that is wildly inaccurate. The wage bill by companies house data was in excess £20m in 21/22. It’s the same website that had Hayden Roberts’ wage down as £38k a week last year. Consider Forest reported wages from their promotion year using the same website - £22.4m per annum - companies house data has it at £58.5m. If you’re even looking to use it as a reference point, in that instance it was 260% out. 

Tina Anjorin, the poor sod, seems to have been subject to the same nonsense as Hayden Roberts. He signed his deal at 18 years old, why on god’s green earth would Chelsea pay him £27k a week - he hadn’t even properly broke into their U21(U23) side at that point. 

I think their failure as a website is to cover every team even though the information is not always there. That they guess at some clubs/players to make it a complete and comprehensive list, when it actually isn't and can never be. I remember Blackburn Rovers was similar to the Forest figures a few seasons back, their published accounts showed a total wage bill of £41m as against this website guessing it was £19m.

Tina Anjorin did sign a five-year contract at Chelsea recently, he's considered one of the most talented youngsters in Europe. He will be on a decent wage to get him to sign that deal, and made his UEFA Champions League debut in 2020.

7 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Saw a rumour earlier that he played for us yesterday in that friendly.

Then Huddersfield have put some images up from the game.

Rhodes played for them.

Really strange when people just make stuff up.

Oh yeah, here he is. The pics on the site are odd, I know it’s showing off their new kit but the absence of Derby players in the shots seems very deliberate 

https://www.htafc.com/news/2023/july/see-our-new-third-kit-in-action/

E6B28513-382F-4612-9B18-6A819B4E7B0F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Oh yeah, here he is. The pics on the site are odd, I know it’s showing off their new kit but the absence of Derby players in the shots seems very deliberate 

https://www.htafc.com/news/2023/july/see-our-new-third-kit-in-action/

E6B28513-382F-4612-9B18-6A819B4E7B0F.jpeg

Yeah it's definitely deliberate. No way you can take that many photos without having an opposition player in shot.

They must have had to Photoshop us out 🤣🤣

Should’ve signed him before the friendly against Huddersfield. Kept it on the down low and then televised the match. Could’ve had an NWO storyline to announce the signing. 

Derby confirm before the match that a new signing will feature. Gets to 80 mins and Huddersfield bring Rhodes on. At some point in the last 10 minutes Rhodes scores an OG and takes off his Huddersfield shirt to reveal a Derby one. 

Would’ve got me on board with the signing if this had happened. 

17 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Derby confirm before the match that a new signing will feature. Gets to 80 mins and Huddersfield bring Rhodes on. At some point in the last 10 minutes Rhodes scores an OG and takes off his Huddersfield shirt to reveal a Derby one

123052FE-602F-4A53-BCA8-17EBB5818580.gif

22 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Should’ve signed him before the friendly against Huddersfield. Kept it on the down low and then televised the match. Could’ve had an NWO storyline to announce the signing. 

Derby confirm before the match that a new signing will feature. Gets to 80 mins and Huddersfield bring Rhodes on. At some point in the last 10 minutes Rhodes scores an OG and takes off his Huddersfield shirt to reveal a Derby one. 

Would’ve got me on board with the signing if this had happened. 

And then it all goes black, and Wayne Rooney's entrance music starts blasting out...

7 hours ago, Kokosnuss said:

From a 3rd or even 4th choice CF, it doesn't necessarily matter how many goals they get. 

I think back to 18/19 when Nugent was our 3rd choice CF. He played in 31 games that season, averaging about 36 minutes in them. He only scored 2 goals (and 2 assists), none of which came after September. With him in the side, we picked up 0.21 ppg more than without him.

1 hour ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Saw a rumour earlier that he played for us yesterday in that friendly.

Then Huddersfield have put some images up from the game.

Rhodes played for them.

Really strange when people just make stuff up.

Could they get him a half-and-half shirt, like the scarves, then he could kick the ball whichever way he was facing.