Kane Wilson - Signed on a 2 year deal

Kernow

12 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

I think this would fill the wingback slot Warne talked about.  A good age at 23 and allows a bit of rotation with Ward.  If it’s £2M + Kane for Knight I think that’s good business.

Posted from another thread. Pearson doesn’t seem to rate his defensive capabilities.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-kane-wilson-pearson-8340385?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

On selecting an academy player in front of Wilson v Middlesbrough last season.

"It's my decision based on what I think is right for the squad. I want a balanced squad. Kane is an attacking player, he's not a defensive full-back

Edited by DiggerB

8 minutes ago, HectorsHouse said:

In recent years we appear to be Bristol City’s feeder club… a sad sign of the times 😢 

Surely not. Who do you have in mind before Knight? Weimann? Martin? Both deemed surplus to requirements (rightly or wrongly). Who am I forgetting?

2 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Fielding, Steve Davies, Nyatanga. Think there's more

I remember these too but I'm yet to think of one who we sold/released where the manager was probably thinking "I don't want to let him go but I can't stand in the way of a move to Bristol City" before Knight

Asked my Bristol City supporting relative about him. 

“Reports down here are that the Wilson deal isn’t necessarily linked to the Knight transfer. We signed him from Forest Green last summer on a free after he was their best player in winning League 2. Think he was in the team of the year. Not seem much of him as he got injured after the first few games of last season.

He’s quite quick and creative. Probably best suited to right wingback rather than full back. We’re playing a 4231 at the moment, so not really fitted in to our formation. Signed a new right back from Aberdeen this summer, so surplus to requirements.”

I've seen mention that he can cover LWB? Not sure if that's right, but he would be a really good option at RWB for us. It gives more depth as Ward can play further forward, and Wilson can also play in a flat back 4, so gives us flexibility should we wish to change things mid-game.

A deep dive into Wilson seems to show he has a lot of ability, former England youth international, where he played a lot under Steve Cooper - starred in the famous 8-1 win over Germany that seem to go viral, alongside   Foden, Sancho, Hudson Odoi and others. 

He had a decent loan spell in League One before joining Forest Green Rovers where he spent a couple of years and did really well. The last season he had 14 assists from right back in a title winning side. He got League Two player of the year and was in the team of the year. A good move to Bristol under Pearson, who evidently wasn’t on the committee when signing him because he doesn’t suit his system. 

In terms of finding value, he’s a great pick up and a player that could thrive and grow with us going forward. 

3 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Part of a 2 million deal does not mean in addition to a 2 million deal.  Why are we taking a player they don't want as part of a deal which is half it's true value anyway.  This does not scream bringing in player who can perform at a higher level to me. Ridiculous.

Talk about finding a negative. ! Knighty wants a higher level, football below the PL is skint. His contract is running down. If we end up with 1.5 mil and a useful player on top then that is ok for me in this financial environment. The days of 7 figure fees from the lower leagues are gone for now. 

I will be hugely sad to see his amazing passion and engine room ability go, especially to an also ran club, but we have to be practical. Being practical isn’t “ridiculous”.

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

I've seen mention that he can cover LWB? Not sure if that's right, but he would be a really good option at RWB for us. It gives more depth as Ward can play further forward, and Wilson can also play in a flat back 4, so gives us flexibility should we wish to change things mid-game.

Can see the logic in his signature highly rated till he signed for Brizzle and got the Pearson treatment. Still young with potential to improve maybe he can cover lwb but he may not have too be because Ward has played there before.