Kane Wilson - Signed on a 2 year deal

Kernow

From what I gather Bristol paid £250k for WIlson last summer as he was out of contract but under 24. I imagine they'll probably be happy to recoup that.

Maybe Bristol beat Warne and Rotherham to him.

By no means an essential signing, I'd imagine if it's Ward as first choice wing back then any randomer would probably suffice as back up, but if we have enough cash for him without compromising our other targets then he could be a very shrewd addition. Swap them around when one is burnt out or use both in a different formation.

Sad to see Knight go despite him having a bit of a mediocre run for a while, and at the kind of price I would have laughed at a few years back, but things move on, and potentially signing Wilson along what we've brought in so far softens the blow.

3 hours ago, DiggerB said:

Posted from another thread. Pearson doesn’t seem to rate his defensive capabilities.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-kane-wilson-pearson-8340385?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

On selecting an academy player in front of Wilson v Middlesbrough last season.

"It's my decision based on what I think is right for the squad. I want a balanced squad. Kane is an attacking player, he's not a defensive full-back

if we’re playing a back three, it’s his attacking qualities that I’m interested in. ❤️

55 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

I wouldnt take too much notice of what Pearson says. He thought it was ok at Derby to play 442 with Hughes and Bryson as the 2 CM. All about opinions. 

I agree with you.

Pearson's an ostrich and behind Tommy Docherty and Phil Brown he's my least favourite Derby manager. It seems Warne has screwed Pearson for £500k more than he wanted to pay with Wilson thrown in as a freebie. Good business for us.

6 hours ago, Ambitious said:

A lot of people really rated Kane Wilson and we’re hyping him up around the time Bolton wanted to sign him. Not sure we ever got clarity on why that move fell through. It would be a good signing for us, fills one of the positions Knight would likely be called upon. 

Local news report from a couple of weeks back suggests it was to do with the clubs hitting a stumbling block on an aspect of the deal, not an injury or anything.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23612650.bolton-wanderers-deal-delay-bristol-city-man-kane-wilson/

9 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Local news report from a couple of weeks back suggests it was to do with the clubs hitting a stumbling block on an aspect of the deal, not an injury or anything.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23612650.bolton-wanderers-deal-delay-bristol-city-man-kane-wilson/

That could well be the time when Derby made their play for him and he had a sudden change of heart perhaps?

18 minutes ago, StarterForTen said:

That could well be the time when Derby made their play for him and he had a sudden change of heart perhaps?

Wasn't anything to do with that.

We never had a deal agreed with Bolton, the expectation was that they would meet the £250k we wanted, but they fell short of that.

He'll do well if you play a 3 at the back system, which I think you do?

1 hour ago, JJH said:

We never had a deal agreed with Bolton, the expectation was that they would meet the £250k we wanted, but they fell short of that.

When it’s all sorted you will have a excellent player but his biggest curse is being played in lots of positions because of the failings or absence of others. When left to be a central midfielder he will be excellent otherwise just very decent. I expect him sold for a lot in a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, JJH said:

We haven't so far really because we didn't have the right players. But that is clearly Warne's prefered system and he is signing players so we can play that way next season. We would be interested to know where you think Pearson will play Knight 

3 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

When it’s all sorted you will have a excellent player but his biggest curse is being played in lots of positions because of the failings or absence of others. When left to be a central midfielder he will be excellent otherwise just very decent. I expect him sold for a lot in a couple of years. 

Certain midfielders have certain attributes.  Hughes for example had a game on quick movement and quick weighted passing. That knee injury when he'd been told to do a bit more tackling made him 50% of the player.. Knight's game is tackling and energy.  By the time he's 25 and filled out a bit he'll be a beast if he stays free of serious injury.  Always a chance with the amount he puts in.

39 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We've recruited quite well so far in fairness and added some much needed depth to what was a thin squad (ultimately our downfall and reason for inconsistency last season). 

I think he'll be signed to play central midfield, Pearson's made it pretty clear that he's signed to play alongside Alex Scott, not as a replacement. I think Scott will leave, but if/when he does there'll be a replacement number 10 that comes in for him.

We play 4231 at the moment, I see him being one of the two holding midfielders.

I've read a few comments disappointed he's leaving you for us which I understand from your side in fairness, but he's joining a pretty steady club who should be in and around the top 10 this season you'd like to think.

39 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

We haven't so far really because we didn't have the right players. But that is clearly Warne's prefered system and he is signing players so we can play that way next season. We would be interested to know where you think Pearson will play Knight 

I’d assume Knight will be one of the two deep lying midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 surely he wouldn’t play him in the 10?

They play Joe Williams and Matty James there at the moment which has to be one of the poorer combinations in the Championship. When you factor in Alex Scott too, who is an exceptional prospect, it means that is a midfield that deprive their side of genuine production. 3 goals and 6 assists between those three players last season in over 8300 minutes - it’s really bad. 

Just now, Ambitious said:

I’d assume Knight will be one of the two deep lying midfielders in a 4-2-3-1 surely he wouldn’t play him in the 10?

They play Joe Williams and Matty James there at the moment which has to be one of the poorer combinations in the Championship. When you factor in Alex Scott too, who is an exceptional prospect, it means that is a midfield that deprive their side of genuine production. 3 goals and 6 assists between those three players last season in over 8300 minutes - it’s really bad. 

James and Williams are both decent players in fairness, it's what we have beyond that that's not any good.

Pearson's spoken about the need for goals from midfield and Knight has proven he's capable of that in the right role, but he'll be deployed as an 8 rather than a 10 I think as you say.

3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I hope they don't think Knight's the answer to this...

3 minutes ago, JJH said:

James and Williams are both decent players in fairness, it's what we have beyond that that's not any good.

Pearson's spoken about the need for goals from midfield and Knight has proven he's capable of that in the right role, but he'll be deployed as an 8 rather than a 10 I think as you say.

Has he? He's got 19 goal contributions in 4 years.

He's a good player man, but he's not exactly productive in front of goal.

If Jason Knight is played as a holding midfielder then that may be the worst decision Nigel Pearson has made as manager. And he’s the guy who not only sold Will Hughes for £4.5m, but also spent pretty much all of that money on Ikechi Anya.

39 minutes ago, Kernow said:

If Jason Knight is played as a holding midfielder then that may be the worst decision Nigel Pearson has made as manager. And he’s the guy who not only sold Will Hughes for £4.5m, but also spent pretty much all of that money on Ikechi Anya.

It was a crazy time under Pearson as we had some very good players - what was it about ten games and it seemed like we didn’t score a league goal ( maybe one😆) which wasn’t a surprise as he seemed to play everyone in unfamiliar positions or simply didn’t play them. 
I hated watching that 

39 minutes ago, Kernow said:

True but once Knight goes it’s not our problem …what Pearson did notice about us when he took over appears to be players ruling the roost so to speak and when he tried to tackle this Keogh by all accounts went running to Mel 

I thought Pearson was the right fit for us at the time and still don’t think you can judge by his short tenure here 

but yes Anya was probably one of our worst signings ever …just forgot it was Pearson who signed him…