Matt Godden

TomTom92

In all seriousness (ish), if the club believe for example Brown, who did well yesterday and others will know better than me, will be ready to feature in the squad regularly in a year or 2, it makes sense to have a year or 2 option now, who will likely then move on to be replaced by the youngster 

That's one thing Morris correctly said... He never did it, but he did say it 

1 minute ago, whiteroseram said:

In all seriousness (ish), if the club believe for example Brown, who did well yesterday and others will know better than me, will be ready to feature in the squad regularly in a year or 2, it makes sense to have a year or 2 option now, who will likely then move on to be replaced by the youngster 

Agree . Brown needs a good year in U21s and must show consistent scoring returns and keep injury free.

8 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Resale value doesn't even come into the equation when we're signing people on frees or for nominal fees.

If we start spending £500k + on 31+ years olds then you may have a point, but that's not going to happen.

It’s still an investment, unless we aren’t paying them. Signing on fees may also come into with some. 

Just think it’s a gamble because if you don’t go up, you’re stuck in a never ending cycle of these players. Absolutely, we can carry some of them, but you don’t want them all to be them.  

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

It’s still an investment, unless we aren’t paying them. Signing on fees may also come into with some. 

Just think it’s a gamble because if you don’t go up, you’re stuck in a never ending cycle of these players. Absolutely, we can carry some of them, but you don’t want them all to be them.  

We're paying them to play for us, and hopefully get us promotion.

Good luck finding players with any guaranteed re-sale value, aged 22-27, that are available for free/nominal fees, prepared to play in L1, and good enough to help us get promoted!

22 minutes ago, Carnero said:

We're paying them to play for us, and hopefully get us promotion.

Good luck finding players with any guaranteed re-sale value, aged 22-27, that are available for free/nominal fees, prepared to play in L1, and good enough to help us get promoted!

Again, not an issue with these players. My issue is when it’s an overwhelming majority. In this case, 100% of your strikers. Warne has said about ages multiple times himself. 

1 hour ago, whiteroseram said:

Mel literally pulled the plug just as we started to produce the product he was creating. He was literally about to see the academy shine in the first team in the championship and then make profit on those players when they move on. Unfortunately for him and more importantly us, we sold some fantastically talented youth products for peanuts 

3 hours ago, Magicman said:

Godden would be ideal for us given the way he plays

And how is that, how does he play?

To me he looks like another good, opportunistic finisher who comes alive in the box but doesn't offer much of anything outside of it. He doesn't seem to be a hold-up man who looks after it in tight spaces and/or brings others into play.

We've already got Collins for that role, and Warne has said he wants all our striking options to add something different to the team so we can alter games tactically.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Kokosnuss said:

And how is that, how does he play?

To me he looks like another good, opportunistic finisher who comes alive in the box but doesn't offer much of anything outside of it. He doesn't seem to be a hold-up man who looks after it in tight spaces and/or brings others into play.

We've already got Collins for that role, and Warne has said he wants all our striking options to add something different to the team so we can alter games tactically.

I can remember watching Jimmy Greaves at the City Ground for Spurs just a few years ago! and heard a florist fan say exactly the same thing about him.That was about 2 minutes before Greaves scored the winner,which was all he did!

Don't care if he's 31,uninterested in any potential resale value but I think a forward easily capable of 20+ goals at this level could,with our new defence,be the catalyst for promotion which ,surely,is the overriding aim this season.

5 hours ago, Srg said:

About balance is it not? We already have 2 strikers at the wrong end of the spectrum. Don’t need 3. 

Not denying a younger one would be better long term but at 31 he isn’t an oldster whose legs have gone. Talking of young ones having a Dobbin type on loan in the mix would certainly add to the balance. 

3 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Mel literally pulled the plug just as we started to produce the product he was creating. He was literally about to see the academy shine in the first team in the championship and then make profit on those players when they move on. Unfortunately for him and more importantly us, we sold some fantastically talented youth products for peanuts 

Festy and Ebiowe .. I could weep 😪 

30 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

I can remember watching Jimmy Greaves at the City Ground for Spurs just a few years ago! and heard a florist fan say exactly the same thing about him.That was about 2 minutes before Greaves scored the winner,which was all he did!

Don't care if he's 31,uninterested in any potential resale value but I think a forward easily capable of 20+ goals at this level could,with our new defence,be the catalyst for promotion which ,surely,is the overriding aim this season.

Of course but I'm looking at it in the context of what Warne has said he's after and what we already have in our squad.

Warne talks of wanting all his attackers to add something different to the team.

He'd be an upgraded version of Collins, not someone to play alongside him. What he does seem to possess that could be considered 'different' is that he is better at heading it (from open play) toward goal - but that doesn't necessarily mean he adds a threat from set pieces as he's only got 1 goal in each of his last 3 seasons via that method.