Matt Godden

TomTom92

53 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

Of course but I'm looking at it in the context of what Warne has said he's after and what we already have in our squad.

Warne talks of wanting all his attackers to add something different to the team.

He'd be an upgraded version of Collins, not someone to play alongside him. What he does seem to possess that could be considered 'different' is that he is better at heading it (from open play) toward goal - but that doesn't necessarily mean he adds a threat from set pieces as he's only got 1 goal in each of his last 3 seasons via that method.

Can only go by what I've seen on tv but their "version" of Collins appears to be Gyokeres and Godden plays alongside him.A mate is a Coventry fan and he rates him highly so,all in all,if he comes I'd be happy and,if not,the hunt continues.Now the defence is sorted,bar another wing back,we all know where the priorities lie.

28 minutes ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Can only go by what I've seen on tv but their "version" of Collins appears to be Gyokeres and Godden plays alongside him.A mate is a Coventry fan and he rates him highly so,all in all,if he comes I'd be happy and,if not,the hunt continues.Now the defence is sorted,bar another wing back,we all know where the priorities lie.

I can confidently state that Gyökeres is absolutely nothing like Collins.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/05/viktor-gyokeres-coventry-city-cult-hero/

Gyökeres – quick on the turn, a powerful, fast runner with the ball at his feet.

The Swede is the first point of contact. He often pulls defenders out wide and attacks the space in behind the opposition, but he also has the strength to hold the ball up and await teammates to support the attack

No Championship player has carried the ball further upfield this season than Gyökeres

His pace and power have also helped him lead the Championship this season for pullbacks - it’s a tactic suited to a side with energetic forwards and midfielders like Gus Hamer, Jamie Allen and Matt Godden making late runs into the box.

His ability to run with the ball and use his body strength is nothing new 

Not only is he their biggest threat in front of goal, he is also crucial to the creation of chances for his Coventry teammates

20 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

It’s my birthday today.

The signing of Matt Godden would be a lovely present!

image.png.2f187e334e03a3246ad9c3f6904313a5.png

Many happy returns!

15 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

I can confidently state that Gyökeres is absolutely nothing like Collins.

https://theanalyst.com/eu/2023/05/viktor-gyokeres-coventry-city-cult-hero/

Gyökeres – quick on the turn, a powerful, fast runner with the ball at his feet.

The Swede is the first point of contact. He often pulls defenders out wide and attacks the space in behind the opposition, but he also has the strength to hold the ball up and await teammates to support the attack

No Championship player has carried the ball further upfield this season than Gyökeres

His pace and power have also helped him lead the Championship this season for pullbacks - it’s a tactic suited to a side with energetic forwards and midfielders like Gus Hamer, Jamie Allen and Matt Godden making late runs into the box.

His ability to run with the ball and use his body strength is nothing new 

Not only is he their biggest threat in front of goal, he is also crucial to the creation of chances for his Coventry teammates

Well I wouldn't disagree with you on an ability comparison but that wasn't the point I was making! I was saying that ,for me,Collins,when playing as a centre forward.is the focal point of the attack.I don't intend analysing his abilities as there are sufficient "fans on the forums constantly ready to demean him for what he can or can't do.Brian Clough always used to say if you don't like a player then criticise me because I bought him! In that respect I always consider that Liam Rosenior got off rather lightly because he "spoke well"

Anyway,back to Godden. If he comes,great,if not,so be it! Money from Knight's impending sale might now allow us to chase Nombe from Exeter or Clarke-Harris from Peterborough.Exciting times and such a refreshing change from a year ago.

While I agree with the majority that I want us to be bringing in players at an age where they could still develop and increase in value, this seems different. We lack a goalscorer, which Godden is. He can score with both feet and his head. At 31, he’s still got several years in his prime.

The only concern is the recent injuries. But then McGoldrick came to us with question marks there…I’d have no issues if this was the striker we bought in. Goals win games, and with our defensive upgrades, could well win us promotion

Also Warne mentioned that Strikers are really hard to come by, and you might end up having to have an older striker. Where we are financially a proven striker at this level is probably more prudent that taking a risk on expensive 'talent' without a track record