Jordon Ibe

Sean

52 minutes ago, Sean said:

Apparently training with Chesterfield looking to get a move. Best of luck to the guy!

He should tear every full back in that league a new one.  If he's fit.  A club with expectation as well.  Promotion with Derby or promotion with Chesterfield .  Promotion pressure none the less.  I would have thought a stint at a middle  position club with no expectation would suit him better as a restart.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He should tear every full back in that league a new one.  If he's fit.  A club with expectation as well.  Promotion with Derby or promotion with Chesterfield .  Promotion pressure none the less.  I would have thought a stint at a middle  position club with no expectation would suit him better as a restart.

The thing that strikes me about this is he wants a route back into the game but out of the media. It could do him a world of good in non league but he’ll also be a player people will want to get one over.

I do wish  him all the best though!

11 hours ago, Magicman said:

Wasted talent and another chance won't change him. 

He's a human off the pitch. Made some poor choices in his time but he clearly has off-the-field issues he has been struggling with for some time. Regardless of what he ever does on the pitch, I hope he finds some peace off it.

On 26/06/2023 at 21:20, Magicman said:

To counter argue this STUPID comment, good on him, mental health isn’t a joke and affects anyone, as someone who’s struggled and continues to struggle I wish him all the best. 

There’s clearly talent there, we’ve seen it first hand… I hope for him he gets to a point where he can feel happy enough to perform.

footballers/people aren’t robots. 

4 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

To counter argue this STUPID comment, good on him, mental health isn’t a joke and affects anyone, as someone who’s struggled and continues to struggle I wish him all the best. 

There’s clearly talent there, we’ve seen it first hand… I hope for him he gets to a point where he can feel happy enough to perform.

footballers/people aren’t robots. 

Most people in his position would have access to the best counsellors and medication so no excuses he should have been able to play but my view is he couldn't be arsed - too much money too young and off field distractions. 

On 26/06/2023 at 21:20, Magicman said:

Can anyone tell me what is actually wrong with this statement? It doesn't pass comment on Ibe's specific issues, just states that his talent has largely been wasted. It's objectively true. Of course, saying he won't change is entirely speculative, but it's not exactly against the odds that a guy who's failed to play any football at all for nearly four years won't just be able to snap his fingers and pick up where he left off. Would you offer him a contract at Derby? Bear in mind that it's deeply problematic to consider his mental health problems as a potential negative. Would you sign an ex Liverpool player on a free to play in the third tier? If not, why not? He should boss it at this level judged on ability alone.

Edited by Anon

4 hours ago, Magicman said:

Most people in his position would have access to the best counsellors and medication so no excuses he should have been able to play but my view is he couldn't be arsed - too much money too young and off field distractions. 

Bet you think drunk addicts can't be arsed to not take drugs.

4 hours ago, Magicman said:

Most people in his position would have access to the best counsellors and medication so no excuses

You do realise that counseling isn't stage hypnotism and medications aren't magic potions?

Having access to all these things can help (although the 'wrong' medicine for a particular individual can make them far worse), but they're not an on/off switch, it's not ten sessions and you're cured forever. There isn't a one size fits all solution.

33 minutes ago, Anon said:

Can anyone tell me what is actually wrong with this statement? It doesn't pass comment on Ibe's specific issues, just states that his talent has largely been wasted.

If you read the words without any thought as to the context of the conversation or the views of the person who posted them, sure, it's an accurate comment, nobody can deny it.

I think you know full well that the poster wasn't 'just' stating that his talent has been wasted though, and that the statement carried within it a heavy element of blame directed toward Ibe.

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 hour ago, Anon said:

Can anyone tell me what is actually wrong with this statement? It doesn't pass comment on Ibe's specific issues, just states that his talent has largely been wasted. It's objectively true. Of course, saying he won't change is entirely speculative, but it's not exactly against the odds that a guy who's failed to play any football at all for nearly four years won't just be able to snap his fingers and pick up where he left off. Would you offer him a contract at Derby? Bear in mind that it's deeply problematic to consider his mental health problems as a potential negative. Would you sign an ex Liverpool player on a free to play in the third tier? If not, why not? He should boss it at this level judged on ability alone.

The subtext (that was clarified in the subsequent post) wasn't subtle enough, so everyone understood exactly what was being implied. Mental health is often a permanent battle, it's not something a couple of sessions of therapy ''fix''. In many cases, it's a constant case of managing, rather than ever being able to cure. 

Discussion and understanding of mental health is improving but sadly you do come across regressive views such as this quite a lot:

5 hours ago, Magicman said:

Do some reading and garner a deeper understanding of these issues please, because as it stands, you're not qualified to be commenting on them. None us know the lad personally so to be making assumptions like this is not only crass, but also probably incorrect.

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

The subtext (that was clarified in the subsequent post) wasn't subtle enough, so everyone understood exactly what was being implied. Mental health is often a permanent battle, it's not something a couple of sessions of therapy ''fix''. In many cases, it's a constant case of managing, rather than ever being able to cure. 

Discussion and understanding of mental health is improving but sadly you do come across regressive views such as this quite a lot:

Do some reading and garner a deeper understanding of these issues please, because as it stands, you're not qualified to be commenting on them. None us know the lad personally so to be making assumptions like this is not only crass, but also probably incorrect.

That was my point mental health is treatable and people continue to live life , play sports and carry on. You seem to think he is an exception he is neither this nor someone who has not been given full support but he seems to lack the ingredients to fight himself.

7 minutes ago, Magicman said:

That was my point mental health is treatable and people continue to live life , play sports and carry on. You seem to think he is an exception he is neither this nor someone who has not been given full support but he seems to lack the ingredients to fight himself.

It's not as linear as that though. Do X, feel better, and suddenly be functional. The pressure that falls on any footballer is immense, but a youth prodigy from a Prem club touted as being ''the next Sterling'' (as he was branded at the time), is borderline unimaginable. 

Lewis Capaldi at Glasto over the weekend is  great example. Took time out to seek help, did everything right, yet when it came to his slot, you could argue he ''objectively'' messed up by being unable to perform to his maximum (he did amazingly, I'm just applying your flawed logic). That wasn't him not ''fighting'', it just highlights how debilitating these conditions can be, even when you do everything in your power to counteracts their effects. 

To imply these people aren't applying themselves, or 'fighting', or however you want to phrase it, is demeaning to those individuals, especially as you don't know that they're not, so you're just throwing around unfair generalisations that are most likely wrong anyway. 

13 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

It's not as linear as that though. Do X, feel better, and suddenly be functional. The pressure that falls on any footballer is immense, but a youth prodigy from a Prem club touted as being ''the next Sterling'' (as he was branded at the time), is borderline unimaginable. 

Lewis Capaldi at Glasto over the weekend is  great example. Took time out to seek help, did everything right, yet when it came to his slot, you could argue he ''objectively'' messed up by being unable to perform to his maximum (he did amazingly, I'm just applying your flawed logic). That wasn't him not ''fighting'', it just highlights how debilitating these conditions can be, even when you do everything in your power to counteracts their effects. 

To imply these people aren't applying themselves, or 'fighting', or however you want to phrase it, is demeaning to those individuals, especially as you don't know that they're not, so you're just throwing around unfair generalisations that are most likely wrong anyway. 

My point was he is washed up at football at the pro level or do you disagree ? 

Psychiatric medication may also have side effects such as sedation, weight gain etc.  This could be relevant to Ibe. In his interview when he came back to us, he seemed somewhat sedated. So he may be doing some things to manage his symptoms that have the unintended consequence of impairing his footballing performance such as his alertness and or fitness.  I'm speculating obviously, but like others say, it is highly unfair to imply some personality flaw. He admitted to being  traumatised and feeling suicidal and so his problems have been severe. I wish him well.

10 hours ago, Magicman said:

Shaking Head Reaction GIF by GIPHY News

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/06/2023 at 12:05, Magicman said:

Would hate to know your opinion on Gary Speed....

No matter what walk of life you lead, mental a health problem isn't something you can just treat and walk away from, it can be a daily battle and in the majority of cases you never get back to where you were pre diagnosis. We've heard from several on this forum about their continual struggle and I'm sure there are many more on here that suffer that haven't opened up about it!

Anyway, do we know how it's gone with him? Could he be lining up against us on Wednesday,  if so, I hope there aren't too many nobs in the Derby end giving him stick, and actually recognise what entertainment he gave us in a rams shirt, he was excellent for us until Liverpool recalled him.

I hope he manages to succeed in getting some sort of career back on track. 

6 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Would hate to know your opinion on Gary Speed....

No matter what walk of life you lead, mental a health problem isn't something you can just treat and walk away from, it can be a daily battle and in the majority of cases you never get back to where you were pre diagnosis. We've heard from several on this forum about their continual struggle and I'm sure there are many more on here that suffer that haven't opened up about it!

Anyway, do we know how it's gone with him? Could he be lining up against us on Wednesday,  if so, I hope there aren't too many nobs in the Derby end giving him stick, and actually recognise what entertainment he gave us in a rams shirt, he was excellent for us until Liverpool recalled him.

I hope he manages to succeed in getting some sort of career back on track. 

Reported in the Derby Telegraph on 5th July that he would not be joining Chesterfield . Not sure if he has gone elsewhere club wise 

On 28/06/2023 at 06:00, Magicman said:

George Thorne had access to the best facilities, doctors and medication too, but he ended up retiring. I guess you also think that he "couldn't be arsed" too?