First signing

Poynton ram

I'm at the stage where I don't care who the first signing is. I just want to be informed on the morning of the first day of the transfer window, that we have signed a player. Quickly followed by the announcement of at the least 5 or 6 more signings.

I don't want to see weeks of speculation on who's coming or more worryingly going. I want us to have our squad sorted with the exceptions of a few loan players before they report for preseason training.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

I'm at the stage where I don't care who the first signing is. I just want to be informed on the morning of the first day of the transfer window, that we have signed a player. Quickly followed by the announcement of at the least 5 or 6 more signings.

I don't want to see weeks of speculation on who's coming or more worryingly going. I want us to have our squad sorted with the exceptions of a few loan players before they report for preseason training.

It’s all very well hoping that but players often don’t want to sign until they’ve listened to all offers and potential moves, especially the sought after ones, so whilst I’m sure the manager would want to get all his business done early it’s not always in his hands.

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Surely you do care to an extent. I wouldn't have thought any of us want a group of donkeys and no hopers signed early just to quieten the speculation.

If it takes a day or two after the opening of the window for us to start announcing signings then that's OK with me. I obviously don't want the formation of the squad to drag on but I won't be going into meltdown (as no doubt some will) if we don’t make any announcements on day 1.

One thing that some fans are going to have to be mindful of is that we are presumably going to be signing a fair few players and some of these will only ever intended as backup options or to cover multiple positions or just for the U21s or whatever.

The squad needs bolstering in numbers as much as it does quality and some of the signings this window may seem a tad underwhelming at first glance but are a necessary part of the squad rebuild. You can't have superstar cover in every position.

• 2 weeks later...