Worse Derby Managers

ziggyram59

4 hours ago, ziggyram59 said:

I take it you weren't a Tommy Docherty fan Dethron? Must admit the man was a disaster sold our biggest assets like Gemmill to Forest, Rioch and Todd and just bought garbage to replace them. 

image.png.5af7395c5d4fe76fdbb1073af8c24f94.png image.png.40ef377f36276bc5c3937d78f1821112.png

Christ on a bike 😡 I thought I'd forgotten about this episode in DCFCs history

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-tommy-docherty-rams-978793

Docherty destroyed the best club in the country. No one else can come close. 

I felt sorry for Gregory as he jumped ship from Villa to come to us IIRC. Then it didn't work out.

Billy Davies started out with a good team that took us to the top of the league, miles ahead, but then he dumped most of them to bring in his mates, meaning we went into the Prem with a team that would have struggled to stay up in the Championship. Horrible man.

Lampard somehow failed to get us promoted with Mason Mount and Fikayo Tomori in the team, aided and abetted with the likes of Harry Wilson, Jayden Bogle, Craig Bryson, Tom Lawrence and a fit Keogh and younger Davies to choose from. That's quite some achievement. In hindsight perhaps his managerial abilities were already becoming clear?

3 hours ago, SirBrian said:

Roy Mcfarland, loved the guy as a player, however he was a poor manager with Derby, Cambridge and Chesterfield, it was a pleasure to watch him in the glory days of our club.

And Burton, very nearly undid Nigel’s good work in the season they got promoted to the football league.

14 minutes ago, Ramrob said:

And Burton, very nearly undid Nigel’s good work in the season they got promoted to the football league.

Really? As is often seen the run-in to the end of a season doesn't always go smoothly! For me he managed to get them over the line after being ditched by Clough Jnr.

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? As is often seen the run-in to the end of a season doesn't always go smoothly! For me he managed to get them over the line after being ditched by Clough Jnr.

Yes really. Just had to google it to see if my memory was correct. But Burton were 19 points clear when clough ditched them (to join our club in disarray!). Sure Clough’s departure would’ve have an impact but hardly a glowing endorsement of Roy’s manager skills. They only went up courtesy of Cambridge not winning their last game. Burton lost to Torquay. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2009/apr/26/burton-promotion-football-league-cambridge

Not questioning his place as a legend but his management record wasn’t great.

Edited by Ramrob

25 minutes ago, Ramrob said:

Yes really. Just had to google it to see if my memory was correct. But Burton were 19 points clear when clough ditched them (to join our club in disarray!). Sure Clough’s departure would’ve have an impact but hardly a glowing endorsement of Roy’s manager skills. They only went up courtesy of Cambridge not winning their last game. Burton lost to Torquay. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2009/apr/26/burton-promotion-football-league-cambridge

Not questioning his place as a legend but his management record wasn’t great.

It includes a promotion and it wasn't that bad here. As for 'impact' on the side, well we managed to throw away a Play off spot after looking so good! Your memory isn't as good as you'd like. 

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

If you’d ask Marcus Tudgay he’d probably say George Burley and same with Martin and Clement…

Spot on with the above 😱

We were in Fat Cats on Friar Gate when GB was our manager, He was off his tree with ale and so was his agent, I wonder who the unlucky females were that night 👎

20 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It includes a promotion and it wasn't that bad here. As for 'impact' on the side, well we managed to throw away a Play off spot after looking so good! Your memory isn't as good as you'd like. 

Yes they were promoted but only thanks to others on the last day after losing a 19 point advantage. They didn’t win many points when he (you?) were in charge, so not sure what your argument is? 

I didn’t mention anything about a play off spot in my post so not sure why you’re questioning my memory either? 

2 minutes ago, Ramrob said:

Yes they were promoted but only thanks to others on the last day after losing a 19 point advantage. They didn’t win many points when he (you?) were in charge, so not sure what your argument is? 

I didn’t mention anything about a play off spot in my post so not sure why you’re questioning my memory either? 

That end of season finishes aren't as easy as it seems, it is easy to screw up entirely like we did that season against Reading.

There have been lots of worse managers than Roy Mac.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

That end of season finishes aren't as easy as it seems, it is easy to screw up entirely like we did that season against Reading.

Agree it’s easy to screw up a few games when the pressure is on, but a 19 point lead is a bit different surely?

To quote the article:

‘If Burton had not gone up today, it would have been regarded as one of the biggest chokes in the history of football, given that just two months ago, they led the league by 19 points. No team in history has ever blown such a huge advantage before’

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

And wish you hadn’t reminded me of that Reading game. 😂 Horrible performance 😭😫

In my time actually following Derby so more or less post 2000:

Paul Jewell. By an absolute mile. Incomparable. Inexcusable that he wasn't given the metaphorical two bullets in the back of the head the second that season had concluded. No, they let him be just as bad in the championship until january just because we hadn't suffered enough.

Then a big old gap

Then Phil "none more orange" Brown - whilst I'll give him extenuating circumstances for what he had to work with from above, he was still very bad at beign our manager.

Nigel Pearson - I've softened on him since his brief time as Derby manager, but, he took a team that was just short of being a promotion team and made them into hopeless relegation fighters and his main belief appeared to be it was because they just weren't runnig around like ehadless chickens enough. I was over the moon he got papped.

John Gregory - had quite a good reputation when he came over from Villa. Was not very good. I think his inspriring team talks included "you got us into this you get us out of it <and huffing offf>"

Phillip Cocu - I almost feel bad about putting him on the list, I liked him but what he was trying to do wasn't going to work with the players he had or was likely to be able to work with and the football was usually pretty dull. Managed to arrive just as Mel's money ran out....

10 hours ago, Archie said:

I wouldn't have Phil Brown in this. Similarly, Paul Clement - we were 5th in the league when he was removed. 

Suppose it’s all relative though. We spent £25,000,000 under Clement, when that was still a bewildering amount of money, and got worse.

How much of it was down to him is a question for another day.

18 minutes ago, cannable said:

Suppose it’s all relative though. We spent £25,000,000 under Clement, when that was still a bewildering amount of money, and got worse.

How much of it was down to him is a question for another day.

Wow! That much money? I've never realised that, it's quite stunning. 😞