Worse Derby Managers

ziggyram59

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Paul Warne

Sorry but I find that a bit unfair he came in with players he had not bought. If next season we are in the same position with players he has bought then I can make a judgement on Warne. 

Recent times it has to be Nigel Pearson. Every game it was horrific to watch. I remember going to Barnsley away and the team being completely dominated. Stunk of arrogance and tried to reinvent a team who finished in the playoffs the season before. Signing Anya on 25k a week....

Jewell needs to go on the podium of 21st century crap managers. Massively failed to rebuild the team after relegation, signed everyone he could get his hands on and most of them were terrible as well. Blowing money on and off the pitch. Shambles.

Phil Brown had some stinkers as manager, however I forgive him more since we had barely any money to spend, the club sold his best players. Although he is responsible for sidelining Pesch for Stern John.

Edited by SSD

3 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

I'd agree with others on this. I didn't like BD or Paul Clement at the time but I don't think you could position them at the worst managers.

My memory isn't great but I recall John Gregory being pretty abject but that's a hazy part of my memory.

John Gregory.....Aka the purple pimp!

4 hours ago, vonwright said:

Ah, come on. Davies was the last manager to get us promoted to the Premier League, and when he got there found out a) he didn't have the squad or the tactics to compete and b) there wasn't any money to buy better players.

Yes we were awful that year, and yes Davies didn't exactly cover himself in glory with some of the things he said when he left.

But he isn't a worse Derby manager than Nigel Pearson.

I think Davies did miraculously - getting promoted that year was astonishing.  But as you say, he didn't have the players - and having a mid table side for Championship playing Premier League sides week in week out (rather than cup ties, where you can grind out a one-off victory) the outcome was inevitable.  

I think, notwithstanding his weird off the pitch scandal, we could do worse than to have made him manager for our current travails.  

1) Tommy Docherty - for destroying a good squad and replacing it with dross.

2) Billy Davies - famous for saying that as we held the play-off trophy aloft he thought it should have been Preston-coloured ribbons on the cup, not Derby’s. He then blamed Gadsby for limiting the transfer budget to explain his awful signings for the next season. He forgot to mention that he went on holiday for two weeks as soon as the transfer window opened, and by the tome he got back all the players we should have gone for had been signed by other clubs. He also tried to take on the Premiership with hoofball. 😡

Frank Lampard - yes, I know he got us to the play-off final, but with the loan players he was able to bring in we should walked the league. Strings were pulled to make him look good so he could go to Chelsea, who wouldn’t have been able to sign a complete rookie. And as we approached the final, Chelsea came sniffing, but he wouldn’t have bern able to leave the Rams if he had got us promoted. So he didn’t get us promoted. Come final day in his head he was already off, hence leaving Waghorn and young Jack on the bench, and only bringing them on when it was too late.

And having sold us down the river he then kept us hanging on until more of the transfer window had gone than Billy Davies had done.

Poor Phillip Cocu had no chance, only meeting his new squad halfway through their pre-season tour in America. And the only players he could sign were of the “you’ll have to do, there’s no-one else” category.  He didn’t stand a chance. And despite the desperation of the Joswiack and Beilick signings, Mel had blown huge amounts on the Lampard project, setting us up for the misery we are only now starting to come out of.As such I would put Lampard as our worse manager of all time because of what followed.

Even so, there are only two things about Lampard that I don’t like - both his faces.

Jewell must be up there. I always felt he desperately wanted it to work, but fate was against him. I still remember his interview post Atwell and he just seemed like a defeated man. 

Apart from that I'd put Pearson, the poison dwarf for his antics, and Phil Brown right up there. Pearson probably the worst of the bunch. 

Edited by Leeds Ram

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Jewell must be up there. I always felt he desperately wanted it to work, but fate was against him. I still remember his interview post Atwell and he just seemed like a defeated man. 

Apart from that I'd put Pearson, the poison dwarf for his antics, and Phil Brown right up there. Pearson probably the worst of the bunch. 

He was just utterly desperate, a fourth-rate Lampard (now)! 😄