Darren Wassall has left the club

philc130

1 hour ago, Mihangel said:

Some of this is down to luck, the odd gem that goes for £30m could come through at, literally, any academy. Just as our academy should have been really coming to frution, the club started going in to meltdown (less due to luck that bit.

Anyway, best of luck to Derren Walsall, he's been a great servant.

Do you think he guessed what was coming? 

06669A66-1684-481F-BC5D-50486F8342FE.jpeg

8 hours ago, Ramarena said:

We’ve lost a lot of talented potential over the last couple of years due to our situation. We’ve not been able to see how they could have flourished if they’d have stayed and gained first team experience.

On the subject in hand, Wassall has done a good job and stepped in wherever we’ve needed him.

The dogs abuse he got when he replaced Mac was completely uncalled for.

He’s seen the academy through good and bad times and always done a good job. 

Shame to see him go and good luck to him!

I think he replaced Clement not Mac but he did get dogs abuse at Rotherham when we lost a 3-0 lead in the last 10 minutes when he made a load of strange substitutions

Good luck to him he did an ok job for us and always came across well

6 hours ago, OohMartWright said:

@David There are now three threads about Darren Wassall, all of which have his name spelled incorrectly in the title. As a courtesy to him, could you please edit these to show the correct spelling? Thank you.

Everyone knows it's spelt Waffle.

2 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Who do you think

Could Barker 

Adam boulder 

Could steel 

Jake Buxton do it

Who do rest think might be able to do the job.

They will struggle to attract anyone as good as Daren Wassall B4.

52 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

I think he replaced Clement not Mac but he did get dogs abuse at Rotherham when we lost a 3-0 lead in the last 10 minutes when he made a load of strange substitutions

Good luck to him he did an ok job for us and always came across well

Yes, I’d forgotten about Clement assumed it was Mac.

3 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

Who will replace darren waddle as youth system

will it be some warn knows 

Mel's legacy will be debated for years to come, but one decision he made that shouldn't be questioned is the one to separate the academy Management from the first team structure.  The stability we had in the academy is a stark contrast to the revolving door at first team level.  As such, we shouldn't make DW's replacement a Warne appointment. (I'm sure his opinion will be sought, but the replacement must be separate from his team and not likely to leave if Warne goes in the future)

To throw out a possible, with a Derby connection (not really required) - Gary Bowyer.  Been here twice (so presumably did ok first time around).  Been on Academy staff at Blackburn as well - got promoted to Manager, so guess he had done ok there too....  And currently out of work, I think.

1 hour ago, Brailsford Ram said:

They will struggle to attract anyone as good as Daren Wassall B4.

Do you really think that? 

So many teams out there with less than Cat1 producing high value players. When was the last time we produced a player worth ££££££

Yes we’ve had players make the first team but so we should with the level of spend each year. But an academy like ours needs to produce profit and we might just break even. 

53 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Do you really think that? 

So many teams out there with less than Cat1 producing high value players. When was the last time we produced a player worth ££££££

Yes we’ve had players make the first team but so we should with the level of spend each year. But an academy like ours needs to produce profit and we might just break even. 

Value is circumstance dependent, to be fair.

We sold Jeff after a good Euros and made a killing on him.

We sold Hughes just before Neymar blew the transfer market up.

Sibley was worth eight figures in the summer of 2020.

It’s not directly applicable but we turned down £4,000,000 for Barnes and released him early 18 months later!

4 hours ago, cannable said:

Value is circumstance dependent, to be fair.

We sold Jeff after a good Euros and made a killing on him.

We sold Hughes just before Neymar blew the transfer market up.

Sibley was worth eight figures in the summer of 2020.

It’s not directly applicable but we turned down £4,000,000 for Barnes and released him early 18 months later!

I think it was B4 that said Sibley was worth 8 figures in fact it may have been 9 😀

It seems to me that over his tenure many players emerged who made an impact in the 1st team &/or were sold on &/or played at the top level.  To name but a few - Hughes, Hendrick, Bogle, Lowe, Knight, Bird, Sibley.  It also seems to me that we owe him a big debt of gratitude for unearthing so much talent over the years, and for providing young players with a stable environment during the years of turbulence.  I for one would be sorry if the steady flow of Academy players into the 1st team were to end, and I hope that it doesn't.  Thank you Darren for everything and good luck in the future.

9 hours ago, U.M. said:

Mel's legacy will be debated for years to come, but one decision he made that shouldn't be questioned is the one to separate the academy Management from the first team structure.  The stability we had in the academy is a stark contrast to the revolving door at first team level.  As such, we shouldn't make DW's replacement a Warne appointment. (I'm sure his opinion will be sought, but the replacement must be separate from his team and not likely to leave if Warne goes in the future)

To throw out a possible, with a Derby connection (not really required) - Gary Bowyer.  Been here twice (so presumably did ok first time around).  Been on Academy staff at Blackburn as well - got promoted to Manager, so guess he had done ok there too....  And currently out of work, I think.

Good shout.

I'd like to see us hire someone like the assistant manager from the Forest academy.sSeems they are doing something right