Burton Albion (H) Sat 22nd April

Not fussed at all about Burton Albion simply because I've lived in Swad most of my life & I remember going to watch Gresley Rovers when Burton were in the same league as them. And then watching them going in opposite directions ever since! But I live just outside Burton now & often go down various locals to sample the Bass & Pedigree. Not bothered about the football team there but happy to keep the pubs going!

13 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Not fussed at all about Burton Albion simply because I've lived in Swad most of my life & I remember going to watch Gresley Rovers when Burton were in the same league as them. And then watching them going in opposite directions ever since! But I live just outside Burton now & often go down various locals to sample the Bass & Pedigree. Not bothered about the football team there but happy to keep the pubs going!

I live in the DE13 postcode area, and to be fair to Burton it has decent drinking venues and is not badly served by restaurants.

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

If you live in Grimsby that’s not altogether surprising.  

17 years in Derby though, don’t know a single person personally that had.

Whilst living up here though, I’ve been down to a Belper game where most fans there will probably be Derby fans, but doesn’t appear to be this forced attempt to create a  “special connection” between the two. 

2 hours ago, David said:

I met @Boycie over on a Forest forum.

We had a similar sense of humour.

Bloody hell David, that's really not something you should admit to in public.

I do note the word had though, I assume you've since seen the error of your ways, but if not... can you explain it to the rest of us please? 🤣

I feel you might be the only other person alive who knows who the f*** this Ralph bloke he's obsessed with is!

Edited by Kokosnuss

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

RAF Spitfire pilots used to have a pint of Burton Ale prior to going into battle during the Battle of Britain. The phrase came to refer to a pilot who didn’t return from battle.

”What about Archie?”

”Gone for a Burton”. 

Hoy !!!!!! , I’m ok , just stopped for full English and krispy kreams on the M1 enroute to pride park 

1 minute ago, Kokosnuss said:

Bloody hell David, that's really not something you should admit to in public.

I do note the word had though, I assume you've since seen the error of your ways, but if not... can you explain it to the rest of us please? 🤣

I feel you might be the only other person alive who knows who the f*** this Ralph bloke he's obsessed with is!

Yeah, he came out the closet as one of those hardcore lefty’s, if I had known that I would never have given him my number.

Everyone is Ralph, can’t explain why really, just became a thing Ralph.

2 hours ago, David said:

In response to all the soft talk over Burton.

When the handful Burton fans start singing “Derby’s a poo hole, I want to go home” today, which they will, it’s the generic away fan chant, will those on here upset by the comments on Burton be equally offended by such vile chanting about the city of Derby?

Or will you just brush it off, call it football banter?

I suspect the latter. As you should.

For those with fond childhood memories of Burton, great, I have fond childhood memories of pink custard. I won’t sit on here and be offended by those that wish to mock my pink custard, nor will I attempt to force some kind of close connection to all of our childhoods with pink custard as it simply won’t be there for some.

I was born in Derby, lived there for the first 17 years or so of my life, I have zero connection to Burton as a town. The only memories I have is holding my nose as we passed through. That smell might trigger fond memories, as does the fresh smell of fish in Grimsby, it is a smell though and just like aftershave, perfumes and flowers, we all either love or hate the smell. I hate the smell.

I have never been to a Burton game because Derby were away.

I did not like the appointment of Nigel Clough from day 1.

I do not like having to hear about Burton Albion on Radio Derby.

I did not feel any special connection over a pre season friendly, likewise with Mickleover Sports, Alfreton Town, Chesterfield and all these smaller clubs around us.

So I personally won’t sit here and fake some kind of relationship with the town or club and if that offends anyone, well I don’t know what to say. Maybe look away until this game is over if it’s that distressing for you.

Go listen to their manager trying to talk this game up as a local Derby, a rivalry, doesn’t sound like a brother and sister close relationship from their side.

If I was to talk about having a close connection to our genuine rivals Forest, being offended when anyone mocks the city or how many fingers they have, I would be laughed out of here. 

It’s just a town, it’s just football and it’s having a laugh.

For those might be unaware, I met @Boycie over on a Forest forum where we were taking the piss, from that this forum was born.

We had a similar sense of humour, enjoyed the ribbing and wanted that humorous atmosphere. Whilst I appreciate since then the forum has blown up and others do not wish to come here for any kind of humour, that is the roots of this forum. Chill out a bit, it’s really not that serious.

😮