Burton Albion (H) Sat 22nd April

Well done today guys a very important 3 points for us both today and that defeat for Posh must deflate them and with two tough games to come it looks like you and Wanderers in the play offs. We just need to win our game in hand against Accy on Tuesday and it puts us 5 points in front of them with two left. Not completely done yet but good as so looking forward to meeting you at Wembley. 😉

Never mind the actual one given, We should have had a penalty first half when their defender clearly handled the ball…

My heart rate hasn’t come back down, we played better than the last home game, but still should have made more of our chances…

Today we were excellent bar the opening 15 minutes. The 3-4-3 is the formation we've got to go for from now on. It allows us to use a number of players properly and give McGoldrick the ability to float around a bit more given the alternative options up front. Cashin as the wide centre back needs some work but it's in progress and Davies as the old head and bit of class works nicely. The midfield balance with either Hourihane or Bird dropping deep to receive the ball allows for a proper outlet through the middle with Sibbo or Mcgoldrick dropping at the opposite end to allow a connection through the middle. We still need a bit of work on the patterns of play (although promising signs are emerging on that front today) and our shape in transition needs some help but all in all it was excellent. 

Burton were surprisingly disappointing. They've gotten some great results in the past 10 games and are pretty much safe now so could have gone for it. Their lack of quality really showed in the midfield and top end of the pitch. They seemed to rely on second balls and deep crosses in the box for anything of note. After the opening we looked in complete control and Burton seemed all too happy to let us have it. 

1 hour ago, Magicman said:

Big win even better as Pboro lost. Roberts was MOM for me followed by Sibley & McG .

Definitely agree. Roberts got on to a lot of loose balls, snuffed every danger out near him. Sibley once we started playing the ball in front of him, was running anthem and creating chances. McG could easily have had an hat trick. Can’t criticise his finishing though, as he created so many chances, other strikers wouldn’t have done.

Biggest concern for me today was Cashin's hearing.  😲

More than once he was told to speed up towards the ball to take a throw, and each time, he turned back towards the respective official, hand cupped to ear, as if to say "Sorry?  What was that?"  Each time adding a few more seconds to the proceedings!

Get 'em checked out, yoof.  You only have one pair of ears!    👀 

Edited by Mucker1884

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Biggest concern for me today was Cashin's hearing.  😲

More than once he was told to speed up towards the ball to take a throw, and each time, he turned back towards the respective official, hand cupped to ear, as if to say "Sorry?  What was that?"  Each time adding a few more seconds to the proceedings!

Get 'em checked out, yoof.  You only have one pair of ears!    👀 

The Lino kept telling him the back of his socks were ripped.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

You're kidding, except for his dwelling on the ball once 1st half he absolutely marshalled the defence. The reason they stand firm is he is directing them, as does Hourihane, really well.

Thankfully there’s a full week rest before each of the last two games, which helps Curtis. Fozzie, Curtis and Cash are now accustomed to playing together (again). I hope Warne sticks with the 3 of them but of course there’s a risk that we’ll be outpaced at some stage. Personally with just a few games left I’m happy he is sticking with the experienced players 

8 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

A comfortable 1-0 if there ever has been such a thing. 

Roberts is our best player at the moment, churning out some consistent performances and doing all the basics which are lacking in other positions still. 

Whisper it quietly... 3 at the back is 5 unbeaten.

It's a very different "three at the back", though, isn't it? One that allows us to get our best footballing players further forward together in positions they enjoy.

Hourihane, Bird, Sibley, McGoldrick and Mendez-Laing all look comfortable in this formation. 

And Roberts and Knight in those wide positions are much more suited to their defensive/offensive roles than Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen were. 

I was quite impressed at Exeter and thought we'd score more at home today. I think only a combination of PP nervousness and good goalkeeping prevented that.

I'd have liked us to be just a bit more positive with our substitutions, though, as it made for a nervous last ten minutes. 

But overall, I'm liking it! 👍 

16 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Absolutely not, but still a better showing. Gives us some hope of playoffs (though we really need to win next week to solidify our position)

We demand adapatibility from Warne and often we need to demand the same of ourselves.

Our recent performances (including Bristol) have shown aspects to his management which have hitherto not presented themselves .

Long may it last. Unlike my phone  battery.