Burton Albion (H) Sat 22nd April

Needed 3 points we got 3 points 

I thought Sibley had a good game along with quite a few others - Burton didn’t come to play any kind of football that I like to watch but it is what it is 

Best moment of the game was Captain Davies yelling at Roberts to take the ball of Cashin who was about to take a throw in next to the Burton corner flag in the 85th minute - 1-0 in front needing the win and one of the centre half’s is lining up to take a throw in 🙄 well done Davies !

10 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's a very different "three at the back", though, isn't it? One that allows us to get our best footballing players further forward together in positions they enjoy.

Hourihane, Bird, Sibley, McGoldrick and Mendez-Laing all look comfortable in this formation. 

And Roberts and Knight in those wide positions are much more suited to their defensive/offensive roles than Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen were. 

I was quite impressed at Exeter and thought we'd score more at home today. I think only a combination of PP nervousness and good goalkeeping prevented that.

I'd have liked us to be just a bit more positive with our substitutions, though, as it made for a nervous last ten minutes. 

But overall, I'm liking it! 👍 

It’s a good use of the options in the squad and the 3 at the back Warne prefers. A compromise/show of adaptability on the managers part. 
I like it for the reasons you’ve said and also for the options and adaptability it can offer. McGoldrick, Sibley and NML look good as the 3 forward players, Barkhuizen, Collins and Dobbin could all come into it if and when called upon. Same in midfield with White, Smith, Knight all options alongside Bird and Hourihane. 
It can also then shift if needed (though admittedly we’ve not seen this from Warne much this season) quite easily into a 4 at the back without having to make wholesale changes.

There’s some flexibility and promise with the recent set up for sure. Hopefully paired with the improved confidence taken from the recent run of results (if not every performance) it will see us through to securing a play off spot. 

1 hour ago, Andrew1 said:

Never mind the actual one given, We should have had a penalty first half when their defender clearly handled the ball…

My heart rate hasn’t come back down, we played better than the last home game, but still should have made more of our chances…

Yes and every single time we had a free kick or corner when their no 4 was all over Didzy - couldnt move at all. The one booked for handball should have been first booked about 2 minutes before. Also why no booking just before half time for fouls on Sibley. Ref too busy hugging and trying to be everyone's mate rather than actually having authority. Usual muppet

5 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

And Fozzy

5 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

2 games with Curtis back and 2 clean sheets, coincidence?

Exeter definitely scored on Tuesday night you pair. 2 games with Curtis at the back and 2 wins however, that’s correct! Leadership and experience at the back helping get it done 🐏 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

Great win and much needed 3 points, results went for us for a change too. All good

But what a weird game of football ! 20 minutes of head tennis while we got suckered in to playing their type of footy. Lump it, hope for a free kick in the right place and Bobs your uncle. When we did put on the ground we were easily superior and there were some nice passages of play but we seemed not to want to do that until the second half. Why ?

No one had a bad game but Bird looked sleepy at times, Sibs is great but he isn’t the firebrand we know he can be. Is this coaching ? Has the baby been thrown out with the water ? McG deserved his MOTM for such hard work and skill. He isn’t that slow is he ? won some “beat me to the ball” moments more than once. Roberts though, ran him a close second. Sign him up ! Mr consistent.

Ref. Well maybe the pen was soft but I have never seen a game with so many handball appeals and Dino Whasisname can take a walk .. I think the free kick count in the first half was about 20 : 2 in Burtons favour, no way was the ref anything but sympathetic to BAFC

We didn’t put great chances away, uhhh Barks .. what was that about ? Did you run the length of the pitch doing everything right and then saw a squirrel and got distracted ?
Burton grafted but lacked quality and let’s be honest, don’t exactly advance the idea as football as an art form. .. At this point all that matters is we are deservedly back in the playoffs with 2 to go 🍻👍🏼🐏

Good win today, but I have to say its more nerve wracking listening to it on t'interweb than it is actually being at the ground - I never used to feel the nerves when I was actually watching live!

If we can beat Portsmouth next weekend that should be enough imho and will potentially set us up with triple header vs Sheff Weds and 2 massive crowds in an L1 play-off SF.