Bristol Rovers (A) Sat 15th April

2 minutes ago, Miggins said:

Perhaps this is why are players are not enjoying their football and seem to lack energy and motivation. We need additions to the squad, but as I've posted before, I would be sad to see young, talented players leave. It's those players we need to keep hold of if we can.

I think they'll be gone. They don't fit Warne-ball. 

9 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Something I keep coming back to in my head as I’m thinking about the imbalance of the squad, all our central midfielders are a similar size, build and style of footballer. Knight has that engine on him that Hourihane, Bird, Sibley, White and Smith can’t quite match. But for the most part they’re all relatively slight in their build, neat and tidy footballers. If we had a couple of more robust, erm….agricultural…players in the squad to complement them I think we’d see the best of any of them. Someone to sit and break up play and do the simple work to let them get us moving forward in possession. As it stands they’re all good footballers from a similar mould and in my opinion the blend doesn’t quite work. 

Yes agreed and presumably that stems from where we were last summer to recruit. So cant blame recruitment last summer as they did brilliantly to get our squad together but we couldnt be as strategic as anyone involved would have wanted. For me its still difficult to feel negative about this season from where we were but that doesnt mean I am a happy clapper snd without benefit of any inside knowledge of what is going on at the club ahead of next season some of PW's decisions now seem inexplicable snd disappointing. Yesterday Cambridge beating unPosh was the chink of light we needed and we snuffed it right out again. Whether penalty was dodgy or not if we really want play offs we shouldnt have been in the position for it to matter, not least from timewasting

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Knight ran around a lot yesterday but didn't nick the ball off the opposition,  didn't track back, didn't offer any offensive play going forward and is not a goal threat.

But he probably has the best running stats in the team. 🙄

He chases the ball too much for me. And just leaves huge gaps behind him.

like you say if was actually winning the ball a lot would be ok with this, but doesn’t seem that way.

quite liked him as the ten as leads the press then. 

2 hours ago, Stripperg-ram said:

Genuine question. I simply can’t remember…

why did we ditch the formula that got us on a decent unbeaten run? Chiefly Sibley and smith either side of Cash and Foz and NML playing further up the pitch, not being asked to defend and  bird sitting in front of the back four?

even if we got found out a bit, surely that was our most cohesive team?

I don't know what his obsession with 3 at the back is when none of our squad can play it well. We have plenty of options to play a decent back four with Rooney and Roberts also reasonable fullbacks.

Then we could see Barks and NML up front causing the chaos we have previously seen them do. 

2 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

We need to find a Manager who can make players who can run a 100m in 12 secs, be able to do it in 8 secs - to get skilful midfield players who can’t tackle, to play like Graham Souness - to get our ageing forwards to have the pace of Michael Owen at his best and finish like Jimmy Greaves.

Should be plenty out there who can do that - there are dozens on this site.

if not, then we need to give our current manager the time to change some of the team to introduce some of the qualities we are missing. If there is anyone on this site that has the above skills please submit your application so we can all vet your experience. 

We already have that manager.

We need a manager who can get the best football out of some very decent players at this level. 

In the past we have heard old and young players talk about learning skills and being coached by the manager, the manager saying similar about players. Warne tells us how he's going to get players fitter. But then he was a fitness coach...

15 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

It was the Swan in Thornbury; apologies for not replying sooner @Anag Ram. Police wouldn’t allow us to get any closer to Bristol 🤷‍♂️

That’s okay. Have been to the Swan often. Quite nice in summer.

Any news on trouble after the game. Saw a young Derby fan being arrested.

Just now, Anag Ram said:

That’s okay. Have been to the Swan often. Quite nice in summer.

Any news on trouble after the game. Saw a young Derby fan being arrested.

I didn’t see anything. Was disappointed not to get closer to the City but hey ho! It was nice to hear Bristol accents again after living there for 20 years. 

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

Knight ran around a lot yesterday but didn't nick the ball off the opposition,  didn't track back, didn't offer any offensive play going forward and is not a goal threat.

But he probably has the best running stats in the team. 🙄

Running is Warne’s biggest, and seemingly only, tactic. I am led to believe that the academy are a little bemused by his tactical insights. That, coupled with what I see at games, is what is concerning me. Of course, any manager needs time to bring in their own players but I have a gut feeling that it isn’t going to work out as we want. I hope I am wrong though and when at games will always back the team and moan vociferously at ludicrous refereeing, which certainly isn’t helping as well. 

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I don't know what his obsession with 3 at the back is when none of our squad can play it well. We have plenty of options to play a decent back four with Rooney and Roberts also reasonable fullbacks.

Then we could see Barks and NML up front causing the chaos we have previously seen them do. 

3 at the back is his preferred option. We started the game with a back 3 that has a combined age of 60, average age of 20. In the past 3 games they have restricted the opposition to just 4 shots on target. That's not bad.

IMO, he has gone that way to prevent the MF getting overrun as it has tended to be, especially n 2nd halves of late. Yesterday we were 2nd best for much of the game. We scored a well worked, early goal but after that it was Rovers who looked the better side. They mirrored our failing of not being able to turn possession and territorial advantage into goals, or even shots.

I hated our time wasting, the use of tactics we hate the opposition utilising. Wildsmith got booked for time wasting. Had treatment 4 times where maybe 1 was necessary. Did that create the extra minutes in which they got and scored the penalty? I think we shot ourselves in the foot.

4 games left and I think we need 3 wins and a draw, minimum, to hit top 6. I'm not sure we'll manage that. Not winning at Exeter on Tuesday and we can definitely bin any lingering chance of the playoffs.

With regard to their penalty, "social media" is full of angry people saying it wasn't one. PW agrees. Reverse the situation and I'd be disappointed if we didn't get it. 

8 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think they'll be gone. They don't fit Warne-ball. 

I will be very sad if that happens, Angie. They may not fit Warne-ball but there are very few fans on this forum who rave about this tactical approach to games. I think it's probably too late in the day now to bolster our teams' morale, but the poster who said square pegs in round holes hit the peg on the head. PW has a great team but he's tried to force them into his preferred style of play instead of playing to their own considerable strengths. PW may still be the right pair of hands to take our club into the championship but I would have liked to see  the needs of the players given priority over his personal preferred style of play.

41 minutes ago, Miggins said:

I wonder how much the lads are enjoying playing at the moment. How confident do they feel? We have some excellent players who should be playing much better. I don't see fun and pleasure at the moment for anyone. I know times are tense and it's the end of the season and everyone is tired but if you love what you do that gives you extra strength. All the players need to be happy in the positions they are playing and we need to value the guys on the bench more. 

I was at Belper Town yesterday, A team who were already relegated, Players I'm guessing earning around £100/£200 a week, They played for each other, They worked their socks off and never stopped it was a joy to watch...they lost 1-2 in front of 594 supporters, One highlight of the day...the female linesperson our side, Morpeths 2nd goal was so far offside they looked like a drunk going for the last pint when the bell goes at the bar, She took some ribbing and all in good fun, She turned with a grimace on her face as she was a good 10 yards behind play.

I'm getting more and more frustrated how our professional game is heading, VAR, Officials, EFL/EPL, Players gamesmanship, A 90 minute game condensed into 55/60mins 🙄 

2 hours ago, On the Ram Page said:

We need to find a Manager who can make players who can run a 100m in 12 secs, be able to do it in 8 secs - to get skilful midfield players who can’t tackle, to play like Graham Souness - to get our ageing forwards to have the pace of Michael Owen at his best and finish like Jimmy Greaves.

Such a weird, backwards post.

You've basically said what we need is to find a manager who has no responsibility to tailor his work to suit the resources at hand, should be allowed to force unsuitably high demands on an understaffed workforce and shouldn't hold any accountability for the inevitable fall in productivity levels.

Can't see you getting very far in business with that sort of thinking, nevertheless... 

...sounds great! Got any other jobs going? I promise that I'll run your business into the ground as soon as possible. I'll start next week, how does £300k pa basic work for you?

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I’ve not given up on this season yet but apart from that I’m exactly where you are. The last line of your post is key, his work is only about to get started. It’s impossible to judge him when he’s inherited a small unbalanced squad with a couple of top players who have got us into contention, and only had January transfer window which we may as well write off as that window in particular is impossible due to the restrictions we are working under.

Next season is the only time to judge him and if we don’t get promotion the knives will be out for him for sure.

I’ve not given up per se. Yesterday was just deflating and the kind of result that makes you feel like the writing is on the wall.

I’ll be going to Exeter on Tuesday and maybe like you say, a good win with an encouraging performance is all everyone needs.

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm not and with a few games to go and maybe 3 more to get promoted they shouldn't be either.  If they are, it's a big worry going forward.  Playoffs are strange.  I've seen both Huddersfield and Palace get promoted in them without actually scoring a goal in open play.  The billy Davies side we had was in abject form prior to beating Southampton Bale, Rasiak and all.  They need to get their arses in gear all round as every team is this league is pretty average and well beatable.  The supersonic all conquering Ipswich with a defence tighter than a gnats chuff were abysmal for 8 games in a row 5 weeks ago.   

You are right. I guess it’s just the after effects of yesterday. It was a tough result to take!

42 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Running is Warne’s biggest, and seemingly only, tactic. I am led to believe that the academy are a little bemused by his tactical insights. That, coupled with what I see at games, is what is concerning me. Of course, any manager needs time to bring in their own players but I have a gut feeling that it isn’t going to work out as we want. I hope I am wrong though and when at games will always back the team and moan vociferously at ludicrous refereeing, which certainly isn’t helping as well. 

I didnt think he ever went near the academy according to some posters? Sorry not having a go just confused

Edited by CBRammette
Apology

11 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

I didnt think he ever went near the academy according to some posters? Sorry not having a go just confused

TBH lets hope he doesn't. Their revival is just starting, do we really need the Academy to play like the first team. 😞

1 hour ago, MadAmster said:

3 at the back is his preferred option. We started the game with a back 3 that has a combined age of 60, average age of 20. In the past 3 games they have restricted the opposition to just 4 shots on target. That's not bad.

IMO, he has gone that way to prevent the MF getting overrun as it has tended to be, especially n 2nd halves of late. Yesterday we were 2nd best for much of the game. We scored a well worked, early goal but after that it was Rovers who looked the better side. They mirrored our failing of not being able to turn possession and territorial advantage into goals, or even shots.

I hated our time wasting, the use of tactics we hate the opposition utilising. Wildsmith got booked for time wasting. Had treatment 4 times where maybe 1 was necessary. Did that create the extra minutes in which they got and scored the penalty? I think we shot ourselves in the foot.

4 games left and I think we need 3 wins and a draw, minimum, to hit top 6. I'm not sure we'll manage that. Not winning at Exeter on Tuesday and we can definitely bin any lingering chance of the playoffs.

With regard to their penalty, "social media" is full of angry people saying it wasn't one. PW agrees. Reverse the situation and I'd be disappointed if we didn't get it. 

Finally forced myself to watch the "highlights". The penalty decision didn't look anywhere near as outrageous as PW and some others have suggested. It looked like a fairly easy decision for the officials to make (there was a bit of contact between White and the attacker but it looked like six of one and half a dozen of the other and White appeared to go down far too easily) so, no evidence to support the ongoing conspiracy theory IMO. I think PW made his comments in heat of the moment (emotions are always high when you concede very late in the game) and I suspect, if asked again this morning, he might still think it was a soft penalty but not as bad as he made out at the time.