Run in to play offs...

nfb

Looks like we are to have similar run ins to those around us hoping for the play offs we all play, Burton, Shrewsbury, AS etc I guess it's about re discovering our previous form and go on an unbeaten run. 

It will be tight methinks.....

Any thoughts?

Edited by nfb

21 minutes ago, nfb said:

Looks like we are to have similar run ins to those around us hoping for the play offs we all play, Burton, Shrewsbury, AS etc I guess it's about re discovering our previous form and go on an unbeaten run. 

It will be tight methinks.....

Any thoughts?

We don’t play either Shrewsbury or AS.

Peterborough and Bolton to make it sadly. Bolton comfortably and Posh by a couple of points.

Edited by Tamworthram

3 minutes ago, scout's dad said:

Never Know GIF by The Bachelor

Let’s be positive 🐏

Indeed you never know but, as requested, I was just giving my realistic view. 

My thoughts are:

Optimistic - We’ll finish 6th behind Bolton

Realistic - We’ll finish 7th, two points adrift of Posh

Pessimistic - We won’t manage to get our act together and whilst we’ll still finish 7th, it will be by a bigger margin.

You can choose the response you prefer if you like.

Sheffield Wednesday and Derby share a common problem; they are big clubs suffering financial restrictions who have ageing small squads and now facing burn-out after the physical constraints suffered as a result of sustaining long unbeaten runs. They now have all on to turn around their recent form to make a final push for promotion. They both need a resurgence of energy to progress.

Unlike these two, Barnsley, Ipswich, Bolton and Plymouth were able to significantly strengthen their squads in January and their recent results reflect this. They are the physically best equipped teams going into the run in for promotion. I think the top two now is likely to be from Ipswich, Plymouth and maybe Barnsley.

The team we are competing with is Peterborough for sixth place and we should disregard Wycombe and Portsmouth; if either of them overtake us we've had it in my opinion.

If we can take sixth, or maybe fifth place, I'd hope for the Wendies over two legs. Previous experience tells us that anything can happen at Wembley on the day and if we get that far, bring it on.

The next four games are massive for us. If I was forced to take a bet today, I'd go for us being in this league next season, with the Wendies - Walkley Owl please note - but that could all change this week or next. The consolation is that whatever happens, DCFC is still alive and kicking.

Always look on the bright side of life.

COYR

We won't do it, we handed the advantage to Peterborough and too much of an ask to try and claw back 6th place now.

I didn't think we would do it a few games back and nothing has changed to convince me otherwise.

Regardless of circumstances and situations, odd team selection, Barkhuizens bizarre exclusion (imo) and an extremely poor January window, have contributed to a very poor 2nd half of the season.

I was convinced we would make top 2 at Christmas and playoffs were absolutely nailed on.

20 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Sheffield Wednesday and Derby share a common problem; they are big clubs suffering financial restrictions who have ageing small squads and now facing burn-out after the physical constraints suffered as a result of sustaining long unbeaten runs. They now have all on to turn around their recent form to make a final push for promotion. They both need a resurgence of energy to progress.

Unlike these two, Barnsley, Ipswich, Bolton and Plymouth were able to significantly strengthen their squads in January and their recent results reflect this. They are the physically best equipped teams going into the run in for promotion. I think the top two now is likely to be from Ipswich, Plymouth and maybe Barnsley.

The team we are competing with is Peterborough for sixth place and we should disregard Wycombe and Portsmouth; if either of them overtake us we've had it in my opinion.

If we can take sixth, or maybe fifth place, I'd hope for the Wendies over two legs. Previous experience tells us that anything can happen at Wembley on the day and if we get that far, bring it on.

The next four games are massive for us. If I was forced to take a bet today, I'd go for us being in this league next season, with the Wendies - Walkley Owl please note - but that could all change this week or next. The consolation is that whatever happens, DCFC is still alive and kicking.

COYR

I thought Bolton were still struggling financially 🤔 Did they have the funds to strengthen in January?

The point is we don’t know. It can go either way. I want us to make the play offs but I’ll be sanguine if we don’t. As fans over the next 6 games we need to transmit positivity to the players & believe in them. We are as good as anyone in the division on our day so let’s be up for it. If we don’t go up, I’m very confident for next season. I’ve been to loads of games this year - probably more away games this year since the 1980s and I’ve been very proud of the Club and the fans who have been terrific all season. C’mon once more unto the breach dear friends…

If we make it, great, if not, we’ll go again as cliche as it sounds..

I honestly feel like this season was always going to be one of stabilisation, if promotion happened, bring it on, we all know this is not a League 1 club and there is no chance we will be stuck down here for multiple seasons. Just promotion wasn’t the primary objective given the circumstances, if the season finished today, it would go down as an incredible one.

Yes it will be hugely disappointing given the position we got ourselves into a few weeks ago, I just look at clubs like Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday that have been down here without restrictions and hasn’t come easy to them either.

I know none of this was the question, however with regards to the run in, I couldn’t be more relaxed about it.

To be in the position we’re in now is beyond any expectations I had back in August.

45 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I thought Bolton were still struggling financially 🤔 Did they have the funds to strengthen in January?

Yes they did, they brought in six players:

Ayomide Victor Adeboyejo £700k from Burton. Cameron Jerome - free from Luton. Luke Mbete on loan from Man. City. Dan Llundulu on loan from Southampton. Shola Shorshire on loan from Man. Utd and Randell Williams, undisclosed from Hull City. All in January.

Hence their upsurge since we took four points against them in December and January when they looked quite ordinary.

Edited by Brailsford Ram

A fair question to ask yourself...

Would you rather scrape promotion through the playoffs, struggle to recruit in the summer due to restrictions and face a near certain relegation battle, that could see us back in league 1.

Or

Miss out on playoffs entirely, give Warne (or whoever) time to build a team, have another go at it next season and hope we do it with all restrictions lifted?

2 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

COYR

January window= Barnsley: 7 players in 3 out. Bolton: 6 in 4 out. Peterboro: 2 in 4 out. Ipswich: 4 in 3 out. Plymouth: 5 in 1 out. The Rams: 2 in nil out.

18 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A fair question to ask yourself...

Would you rather scrape promotion through the playoffs, struggle to recruit in the summer due to restrictions and face a near certain relegation battle, that could see us back in league 1.

Or

Miss out on playoffs entirely, give Warne (or whoever) time to build a team, have another go at it next season and hope we do it with all restrictions lifted?

I'd take the promotion.  A clown with size 15 shoes tied together could stay in that division.  Any level of competency sees you ok and the financial difference is considerable.

I think we'll miss out to Peterborough as they've got an easier run-in. But as experience tells us that is no guide to whether they'll be successful or not. The biggest issues we've got are our own; our performances are below par and the players look tired. We look blunt in attack and leaky at the back. I think we'll miss out on the last day of the season unfortunately but next season would mean a relegation even if we did go up so maybe it's better to stay down and build some momentum next season.

Current form would put Peterboro in the driving seat to claim a play-off place, but it does'nt always work out like that. Peterboro have won 4 and drawn 1 of their last 5 matches. Their previous batch of 5 matches saw 1 win, 1 draw and 3 defeats. Overall, in their last 15 matches they have lost 5 of them and only drawn 2 (which they don't seem to do often).                                                                                            Bolton, who have the game in hand to play and that is a home match. But they have only won once in the last 5 matches (not including the Papa Johns Final), their previous 10 games though produced 8 wins and just 2 defeats.

Derby have the worse form in the last 5 matches, having lost 3 and their previous 10 games also shows 3 defeats. Having stated that the 6 defeats in the last 15 games have all come against teams in the top 7 barring the Fleetwood game. Bolton have no team left to play in the top 7 places and the highest placed team left to play is Shrewsbury at home in 10th spot. Peterboro have still 2 games to play against sides in the top 7 places, they also have 2 teams to play who are fighting to stay up (both away, Cambridge & Accrington).

It's all down to finding form from Easter Monday and beyond. I believe Bolton will remain in the top 6 due to having that extra game and their remaining fixtures. So it's down to Peterboro and the Rams, are we due a good run of results again, are the Posh due another poor run (lets hope so). The play-offs will favour the team finishing 6th coming up against the losing team in the automatics, whether it be Ipswich, Plymouth or Sheff Weds. And the final at Wembley, you just throw the form book away, as it's been proven on so many occasions.

COME ON DERBY, IT'S NOT OVER YET AND IF WE PULL IT OFF, IT WOULD BE FANTASTIC AFTER THE LAST 12 MONTHS PLUS.

Today is vital. Win and it’s 2 on the bounce and hopefully the feel good factor and confidence will start to return. Anything other than a win and I fear that could be it. 
Bearing in mind where we were 9 months ago and the size and age of the squad, this season has exceeded my expectations. Seems like we’re in very good hands now and I honestly feel the future is bright, regardless of the league we’re playing in next season. COYR.

2 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Given we have to face a few half decent teams, we won’t manage it. We’re incapable of beating anyone other than teams like Forest Green who should be playing down Allestree Park they’re that bad

FGR beat Sheffield Wednesday! That is just one fact, and there are plenty of others, that should mean the opinions stated in your post can safely be ignored