Run in to play offs...

nfb

In 17/18 we won 3 in 16 heading into our final 3 games of the season including 3-1 defeat to Burton and being smashed 4-1 at home in the pissing rain to bottom of the league Sunderland. Home to promotion chasing Cardiff (re-scheduled after snowgate), Away to Villa, Home to Barnsley. Took 7 points from these last 3 games to finish in top 6.

In 18/19, again we took 7 points from the last 3 games to make top 6, and actually took 14 from our last 6 games after a run of 3 wins in 12. 

It’s not over.

28 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

I think the last 4 games lose to Exeter tonight, draw against Burton and Portsmouth at home and defeat against Sheffield Wednesday last game of the season which will leaves us 7th which on current form is where we deserve to finish. 

Based on current form we don’t “deserve” to be 7th. We would be much lower than that. At the end of the day though, we deserve to finish where actually finish based on the season as a whole (unless you believe the conspiracy theories of course in which case we deserve to finish as champions but have been cheated out of it. “duck the EFL duck the EFL duck the EFL” 😀).

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Based on current form we don’t “deserve” to be 7th. We would be much lower than that. At the end of the day though, we deserve to finish where actually finish based on the season as a whole (unless you believe the conspiracy theories of course in which case we deserve to finish as champions but have been cheated out of it. “duck the EFL duck the EFL duck the EFL” 😀).

Very good point Tamworthram and agree with everything you say. 

The last game of the season will be interesting.

Barnsley vs Posh

Wednesday vs Derby

Bizarrely that could be the playoff picture. Though Bolton look a good bet now given their easier fixtures.

I wonder if Barnsley and Wednesday are out of the top two hunt by then whether they will rest their key players.

Either way, we have to win our next two home games. Simply have to.

On 09/04/2023 at 22:33, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A fair question to ask yourself...

Would you rather scrape promotion through the playoffs, struggle to recruit in the summer due to restrictions and face a near certain relegation battle, that could see us back in league 1.

Or

Miss out on playoffs entirely, give Warne (or whoever) time to build a team, have another go at it next season and hope we do it with all restrictions lifted?

Yes I’d rather scrape promotion through the playoffs, then send a delegation to the EFl to renegotiate the business plan for next season. Would not expect to be in a relegation battle 

18 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

With the officials not being so determined to constantly give extremely suspect decisions against us we would have easily been cemented into the play off positions and that’s avoiding us not scoring from a shedload of chances 

The bookies now have us and Peterborough both at 11/2 to gain promotion.They have Peterborough at 7/2 to beat Ipswich and little Burton Albion 6-1 to win at PP. The odds are saying we will be in the top six come Saturday. But the last play off place won’t be decided till the last day of the season. Don’t even try to work out who will go up Auto. Exiting end to the season.

On 09/04/2023 at 23:18, Leeds Ram said:

I think we'll miss out to Peterborough as they've got an easier run-in. But as experience tells us that is no guide to whether they'll be successful or not. The biggest issues we've got are our own; our performances are below par and the players look tired. We look blunt in attack and leaky at the back. I think we'll miss out on the last day of the season unfortunately but next season would mean a relegation even if we did go up so maybe it's better to stay down and build some momentum next season.

How can you be so sure that "next season would mean relegation" 

There is no guarantee that next season in league 1 would be as successful as this season. 

Bolton's next 3 games..at home to Shrewsbury..at home to Accrington..at home to Fleetwood.They could easily win those 3 matches.Then they would be uncatchable.Just down to us and Posh for that final place? I actually think our next two home games could turn out to be very difficult fixtures..both are competent teams.Yikes!

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

Just out of interest why not?  We spent our last two seasons in the championship in relegation battles with better squads than we have now.

Eh? Last season? Beating teams such as Fulham Bournemouth and Sheffield United? Two doing OK in the Premier League and the other heading there.? Are you forgetting a major reason why we were relegated?

6 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

Bolton's next 3 games..at home to Shrewsbury..at home to Accrington..at home to Fleetwood.They could easily win those 3 matches.Then they would be uncatchable.Just down to us and Posh for that final place? I actually think our next two home games could turn out to be very difficult fixtures..both are competent teams.Yikes!

Peterborough have Ipswich. If we can win these two home games then I reckon we'll do it. It'll be very tight though.

Posh have Ipswich (H), Bristol Rovers (H) and Barnsley (A)

We have Burton (H) Pompey (H) and Wendy (A)

I give Posh 3 points from that. We need 4 to go ahead of them. That would also see Wycombe needing 3 wins (Lincoln and Cheltenham (H) and Pompey (A) ) to pass both of us. Beat both Burton and Pompey and we're there. Easy to write, harder to complete.

A hatful against Burton would also see us gain a better GD than Posh.

Quietly confident we'll make the playoffs. Warne says if we get into them we'll win them. 

If we get the chance to go up, we take it. Simple. 

Promotion itself will not give us a pointer to how we might perform next season in the SBC.  We have no idea who PW wants to keep, who he will sell, who he will give away. We have no idea if the planned EFL review of the business plan will see restrictions eased. I don't think they'll be lifted. Promotion first and then approach next season second. Rosenior put together a squad that has competed. Given the time he had, hardly anybody expected us to be where we are. 3 (or 5 or 6) games to go and promotion is still a possibility. I had expected midtable obscurity so I'm well happy. No saying Warne can't do the same in the SBC but this time with a full pre season. No next season predictions from me until we see what the squad looks like.

3 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Peterborough have Ipswich. If we can win these two home games then I reckon we'll do it. It'll be very tight though.

On the flip side, if Peterborough beat Ipswich that will be a hammer blow to our chances, if not terminal. Not only the 3 points they pick up but it will almost certainly mean Sheffield Wednesday will still have a chance of automatic promotion on the last day.