Run in to play offs...

nfb

12 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

A fair question to ask yourself...

Miss out on playoffs entirely, give Warne (or whoever) time to build a team, have another go at it next season and hope we do it with all restrictions lifted?

This

2 hours ago, RodleyRam said:

People writing us off when we're level on points with the team in 5th is bizarre.

It's a hugely unpredictable league. Anyone making predictions is simply guessing. Anyone can take points off anyone else and as Warne has said multiple times, it'll be about the tiniest margins. One could argue that we shouldn't be scrapping for 6th place but we are where we are. 

Of course they are. And when they start their posts with the words "we will or we won't" it makes them appear even crasser.

At least have the humility to acknowledge your post is merely your opinion not a nailed on certainly as some folks on here are peddling their predictions as. 

Maybe it's because they want us to fail. Weird. 

50 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

This

...is exactly the opposite mentality to the one I hope the manager and players have! I'm sure they don't.

I remember when people were saying they were happy to continue in the Championship rather than go up and be humiliated in the the PL again, it was better to be watching a top six team win more then they lose. We'd go up when we were ready and with a more settled squad, one more able to compete.

That went well.

There are no guarantees for the future. Next season's team could be considerably lower in the quality stakes, and let's be honest a number of wins this season have come from our quality carrying us through (McGoldrick especially... out of contract and although I'm going to assume he will sign another here you can't be 100% certain) rather than us performing all that well as a team.

If not next season then it rolls on - but by the 24/25 season will there be any 'class' left in the squad or will it just be hard-running physical bullies who'll get battered every week when they make the step up? 

Again though - no guarantees. That's just the negative outcome (although not that quite worst case scenario, that doesn't bear thinking about) - at least we go up at some point and we haven't ditched yet another manager 'too early'!) and it could all turn out wonderfully and egg on face inducingly positive. 

4 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

I don’t think many folk are actually writing us off anymore than those predicting 6th are writing Peterborough off. Simply expressing an opinion on where we think we will finish.

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Of course they are. And when they start their posts with the words "we will or we won't" it makes them appear even crasser.

At least have the humility to acknowledge your post is merely your opinion not a nailed on certainly as some folks on here are peddling their predictions as. 

Maybe it's because they want us to fail. Weird. 

Yeah this is what I was really driving at. It's the absolutism I find most difficult to reconcile. With 3 teams on the same points and 'relatively' similar fixtures, I don't know how anyone can state anything with any certainty.

12 hours ago, Tamworthram said:
17 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

I think we'll do it. We're only 7th on goal difference and we've been inside the playoffs for most of the season. I believe we're a better side than Peterborough and we will show it in the run in. Time to step up and get back on track. 

I hope you’re right but results over the last two months suggest we’re not a better team than Peterborough. 

After 46 games if we finish above the Posh, then that would suggest we are better than them.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:
23 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

After 46 games if we finish above the Posh, then that would suggest we are better than them.

We're currently below them two points adrift. Using your logic we're not currently better than Posh.

It's not logic, it's stating facts. After 46 games every teams position is decided, quoting teams current positions and stating that they are better than us can only be correct if they remain above us at the end of season.

1 minute ago, plymouthram said:

It's not logic, it's stating facts. After 46 games every teams position is decided, quoting teams current positions and stating that they are better than us can only be correct if they remain above us at the end of season.

Thanks for educating me on how the end of season league positions.

We don't know what will have happen over the next five games. What we do know is that Posh are currently above us and therefore "better" than us. Your original statement that "we're a better side than Peterborough" is based on an assumption (that we finish above them) not stating a fact.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

We don't know what will have happen over the next five games. What we do know is that Posh are currently above us and therefore "better" than us. Your original statement that "we're a better side than Peterborough" is based on an assumption (that we finish above them) not stating a fact.

We've been above Peterborough all season. They've overtaken us by a couple of points, does that suddenly mean they are a better side than us? Form wise yes but I still believe we are a better side and that's why I think we will finish above them come the seasons end.

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

You need to read my statement again !!! There was no where I made the "We're a better side than Peterborough" The clue is now going to be in bold for you;  "After 46 games if we finish above the Posh, then that would suggest we are better than them.

"If" is the optimistic word in my statement.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

We've been above Peterborough all season. They've overtaken us by a couple of points, does that suddenly mean they are a better side than us? Form wise yes but I still believe we are a better side and that's why I think we will finish above them come the seasons end.

Posh aren't suddenly better than us but over the course of 40 games all of the stats suggest they are. They have won more games, accumulated more points and have a better goal difference. Even head to head they have a marginal edge over us. I sincerely hope that has all changed (except the head to head of course) by the end of the season but, at the moment, it's difficult to justify the statement that we are a better team than Posh unless we're talking subjectively.

11 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

You need to read my statement again !!! There was no where I made the "We're a better side than Peterborough" The clue is now going to be in bold for you;  "After 46 games if we finish above the Posh, then that would suggest we are better than them.

"If" is the optimistic word in my statement.

Many many apologies. I realise now it wasn't you that said that.

Does anybody think Wycombe are back in the play-off mix being only 3pts outside 6th spot even though their goal difference is only +13 currently. Their remaining fixtures are; Morecambe (a), Cambridge (a), Lincoln (h), Cheltenham (h) and Portsmouth (a). I personally think, with 5 games left they could'nt snatch 6th by goal diff, and would have to gain 4 points on 2 teams above them.

Peterboro now have two difficult away matches Cambridge & Accrington, both fighting to stay in the division. This is followed by Ipswich (h), Bristol (h) and Barnsley (a).

Bolton have Oxford (a), Burton (a), Shrewsbury (h), Accrington (h), Fleetwood (h) and Bristol (a).

11 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Does anybody think Wycombe are back in the play-off mix being only 3pts outside 6th spot even though their goal difference is only +13 currently. Their remaining fixtures are; Morecambe (a), Cambridge (a), Lincoln (h), Cheltenham (h) and Portsmouth (a). I personally think, with 5 games left they could'nt snatch 6th by goal diff, and would have to gain 4 points on 2 teams above them.

Peterboro now have two difficult away matches Cambridge & Accrington, both fighting to stay in the division. This is followed by Ipswich (h), Bristol (h) and Barnsley (a).

Bolton have Oxford (a), Burton (a), Shrewsbury (h), Accrington (h), Fleetwood (h) and Bristol (a).

They’re in the mix but very much an outside bet IMO.

In theory, Cambridge away will be just as tricky for Wycombe as it is for Peterborough. Also, Portsmouth away won’t be easy.