Gary Lineker

Day

277,000 of those 500,000 are students to whom we actively promote ourselves as a destination of choice.

A lot of them stay on to be our future doctors, scientists etc. 

Source: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/longterminternationalmigrationprovisional/yearendingjune2022#reason-for-immigration

36 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

There are some stats there yes, but I would suggest the way those stats are reported are slightly biased. As usual, this independent think tank doesn't tell you who funds.

"A population the size of a city – at least 88,087 people – have been disclosed as coming uninvited by boat since 1 January 2018."

Another way of writing that is since 2018, only 88k people have come to the uk, which is 0.13% of the UK population and the same amout as one match at Wembley stadium. 2.6m people have died in the uk in the same time period.

In the first paragraph after the stats, they mention tube bombings.

I'm not disagreeing with their stats, but their presentation of them is clearly highly biased. Especially in the context that everyone now knows we hardly take in any refugees vs other similar countries to us.

Edited by ariotofmyown

14 hours ago, Archied said:

yes I do find it condescending when people with far more narrow views want to ask me to consider if I’m being played 

Ok fair enough mate. I accept it's just a coincidence that all the things you are furious* about are the things that the media and these organised groups are happily weaponising for financial gain in these so called culture wars. You're not being played at all

*you DO seen furious..you've posted two massive semi-coherent rants above since I last looked at my phone yesterday. 

14 minutes ago, angieram said:

277,000 of those 500,000 are students to whom we actively promote ourselves as a destination of choice.

Source: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/longterminternationalmigrationprovisional/yearendingjune2022#reason-for-immigration

Genuinely, thank you for popping in here with some useful facts. Now skip away before you get your feet dirty.

8 hours ago, Archied said:

Jeeez , you was just expecting a simple thank you for letting me know neo nazis were involved in protests

No, I was expecting a simple thank you for letting you know that the protest you complained was been reported as right wing, actually involved a group with neo nazi groups. 

31 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

There are some stats there yes, but I would suggest the way those stats are reported are slightly biased. As usual, this independent think tank doesn't tell you who funds.

"A population the size of a city – at least 88,087 people – have been disclosed as coming uninvited by boat since 1 January 2018."

Another way of writing that is since 2018, only 88k people have come to the uk, which is 0.13% of the UK population and the same amout as one match at Wembley stadium. 2.6m people have died in the uk in the same time period.

In the first paragraph after the stats, they mention tube bombings.

I'm not disagreeing with their stats, but their presentation of them is clearly highly biased. Especially in the context that everyone now knows we hardly take in any refugees vs other similar countries to us.

Migration Watch is biased of that there's no doubt, They'd like less migration than more, But they give you figures others shy away from, You can listen to the left the right and centre of politics they will all have an opinion on migration, And while there's a market for those who want to cross the channel by boat there'll be those that will supply that demand...it wont be stopped, Slowdown maybe at best or worst depending where you'd want to hitch your flag too.

Braverman and Sunaks policy will be put to the test soon enough, On a personnel note it's about as good as spending money on a fire alarm on a Bakery in Greece. 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Ok fair enough mate. I accept it's just a coincidence that all the things you are furious* about are the things that the media and these organised groups are happily weaponising for financial gain in these so called culture wars. You're not being played at all

*you DO seen furious..you've posted two massive semi-coherent rants above since I last looked at my phone yesterday. 

Furious ????? ,, get a grip man have you not realised I find this left wing obsession hilarious, why do you always throw out the same old semi insults ? Have you not figured it doesn’t work?‍♂️

16 minutes ago, sage said:

Well I'm looking forward to Match of the Day tonight. Should be fun.

I would imagine Lineker, the commentators and pundits, are all under strict instructions not to stir things and not to refer to issue. The most you will get is Lineker saying something like "it's good to be back".

I know Lineker doesn't seem to be a person that feels constrained by rules but, when he's actually presenting a programme on the BBC (rather than making Twitter posts) I reckon he'll behave. 

31 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I would imagine Lineker, the commentators and pundits, are all under strict instructions not to stir things and not to refer to issue. The most you will get is Lineker saying something like "it's good to be back".

I know Lineker doesn't seem to be a person that feels constrained by rules but, when he's actually presenting a programme on the BBC (rather than making Twitter posts) I reckon he'll behave. 

I believe the MoTD theme tune is changing to this ?and GL will fit the themes name in after the Bar Codes win last night

Edited by The Last Post

28 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Oh he won't be wearing a T Shirt saying I love refugees, but there will be something subtle.

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

Migration Watch is biased of that there's no doubt, They'd like less migration than more, But they give you figures others shy away from, You can listen to the left the right and centre of politics they will all have an opinion on migration, And while there's a market for those who want to cross the channel by boat there'll be those that will supply that demand...it wont be stopped, Slowdown maybe at best or worst depending where you'd want to hitch your flag too.

Braverman and Sunaks policy will be put to the test soon enough, On a personnel note it's about as good as spending money on a fire alarm on a Bakery in Greece. 

Absolutely agree with the middle and last part. It won’t stop, but putting in real/useful policy that actually makes a difference will help curb it. Not window dressing that probably won’t even make it into law, just to try and impress people.

As I said further back, people want an easy answer that tells them what they want to believe. But they don’t look at the detail. 

Sunak and Bravermans new bill will be lucky to make it into law before the election without lots of amendments, if it ever does make it.

So everyone is going to have to wait even longer, for something to be done.

No one is looking at the bigger picture.

34 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

It sounds like you're the BBC.

And fwiw, nobody being played thinks anything other than they're not being played.

???, yep I suppose both sides accuse it of bias to the other ,personally I feel it’s a bit left wing biased at this point but I watch gb news and in my view it’s a bit right wing biased but I do get to hear the other side , just my view??‍♂️ .To be honest despite some constantly accusing me of incoherent rants or being furious the vast majority of this stuff doesn’t really touch the sides , I’m an old boy and kind of just get on and do my own thing , make a few Bob , walk my dogs , go footy ,play some golf and a few holidays but mostly have a laugh with mates most of the time , I’m not really ripe for being played though I’m sure we all do get a bit played from time to time until we take in enough stuff to form our own opinions, this is an internet forum , the only one I use and to top that it’s predominantly a football based one , why would anyone with an ounce of savvy get furious, it made me laugh but also question myself ,when was the last time I was furious about anything ? I honestly can’t remember ??‍♂️

Edited by Archied

1 hour ago, sage said:

Oh he won't be wearing a T Shirt saying I love refugees, but there will be something subtle.

He won't be wearing anything but his pyjamas by then. 

He's not on MOTD today, he's doing the live game on BBC.

9 hours ago, angieram said:

I think we actually had around 1m immigrants, 500k is the net migration figure, because a lot of people left the UK too. 

9 hours ago, Archied said:

???, yep I suppose both sides accuse it of bias to the other ,personally I feel it’s a bit left wing biased at this point but I watch gb news and in my view it’s a bit right wing biased but I do get to hear the other side , just my view??‍♂️ .To be honest despite some constantly accusing me of incoherent rants or being furious the vast majority of this stuff doesn’t really touch the sides , I’m an old boy and kind of just get on and do my own thing , make a few Bob , walk my dogs , go footy ,play some golf and a few holidays but mostly have a laugh with mates most of the time , I’m not really ripe for being played though I’m sure we all do get a bit played from time to time until we take in enough stuff to form our own opinions, this is an internet forum , the only one I use and to top that it’s predominantly a football based one , why would anyone with an ounce of savvy get furious, it made me laugh but also question myself ,when was the last time I was furious about anything ? I honestly can’t remember ??‍♂️

So you never get furious.

You weren't at the game today then?

8 hours ago, 1of4 said:

So you never get furious.

You weren't at the game today then?

I had what I first though was a pain in the backside cold/flu / virus and didn’t feel well enough to go , turned out to be a blessing ,,, that would have been one long miserable drive home