Gary Lineker

Day

56 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Bring back the highlights without Lineker and the pundits. Stringing out the program by more than double the highlights content by citing supposition, cogitating and providing inane comments - none of which is going to change the results. 
Aside from that, saving several millions in wages. 

You can watch highlights of individual games on YouTube. You don't need to watch Match of the Day.

I watched a few minutes at the end of the FA Cup game - nearly puked when Micah Richards was fawning over Linekar while asking him about strikers - "Can you teach someone to have a striker's insticts Gary?" - surprised Lineker could sit down with Richard's great big head stuck so far up his bum.....

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

You can watch highlights of individual games on YouTube. You don't need to watch Match of the Day.

Both of these are true, but I did enjoy the highlights package last Saturday. Could have done with something similar this week too  as there were no highlights to watch of the Rams game.  

2 hours ago, sage said:

Many people on here and in society talk about MSM mainstream media.

The first person to use this phrase, to pour scorn on mainstream media, to follow a specific sector of media instead was...

Josef Goebbels

Quite possibly in 1930s Germany 

Did Josef have big ears, and present Spiel des Tages?

7 minutes ago, sage said:

No.

Hitler...only had one ball

Goebbels... had 2 but very small

Himmler...well he was similar

But poor old Goering had no balls at all

Must be a different version in Notts schools 😁

Hitler has only got one ball,
Göring has two but very small,
Himmler is rather sim'lar,
But poor old Goebbels has no balls at all.

17 minutes ago, NottsRam said:

Must be a different version in Notts schools 😁

Hitler has only got one ball,
Göring has two but very small,
Himmler is rather sim'lar,
But poor old Goebbels has no balls at all.

There is also the Albert Hall version

On 21/03/2023 at 16:04, sage said:

Many people on here and in society talk about MSM mainstream media.

The first person to use this phrase, to pour scorn on mainstream media, to follow a specific sector of media instead was...

Josef Goebbels

Quite possibly in 1930s Germany 

In the modern world, this is a sensible and natural distinction between the old-fashioned mainstream media and that new fangled social media stuff lots of people partake in. If your point is serious and not some attempt at humour, I'd be interested to see evidence. Goebbels is known for his term Lügenpresse or "Lying Press" but I'd be surprised if he ever talked about mainstream media. 

16 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

In the modern world, this is a sensible and natural distinction between the old-fashioned mainstream media and that new fangled social media stuff lots of people partake in. If your point is serious and not some attempt at humour, I'd be interested to see evidence. Goebbels is known for his term Lügenpresse or "Lying Press" but I'd be surprised if he ever talked about mainstream media. 

I was rather lazily quoting Ian Hislop. 

Lying press definition does hint at mainstream media.

Lying press (German: Lügenpresse, lit. 'press of lies') is a pejorative political term used largely for the printed press and the mass media at large.

30 minutes ago, sage said:

Lying press (German: Lügenpresse, lit. 'press of lies') is a pejorative political term used largely for the printed press and the mass media at large.

Bit of a stretch but hey ho 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Cheers. Rather an enormous stretch from Ian Hislop. I feel mainstream media is simply a useful distinction from modern methods of broadcasting that have become so important, as I said.

27 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Cheers. Rather an enormous stretch from Ian Hislop. I feel mainstream media is simply a useful distinction from modern methods of broadcasting that have become so important, as I said.

Come on now ,, you know it’s the fashion / tactic of the day to use a massive stretch to be able to portray anyone not ultra left as Nazi s

Edited by Archied

26 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

He may right, but I haven't seen a source.