Pride Park Stadium

uttoxram75

2 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Plymouth Argyle's Home Park ground have solar panels on the roof of their south facing stand. They initially only had a few on the stand roof then added more during last summer. I'm surprised with energy costs that more clubs have'nt done the same.

I know their fans are really happy with solar panels, ive heard them singing Green Army lots off times

This won't financially be as good as it looks but it will resonate well with the green brigade. I don't estimate the Pride Park electricity costs to be that high, maybe 300k a year. Majority of that will be in winter time when Solar creates 20% of what it does in Summer. 

I'm all for going green, but the ROI on this will be 10 years plus IMO. You can't even sell back to the grid at decent rates these days since the FIT tariffs dropped. 

I know my stuff here, I've just spent £1.4 million on Solar for my company. We area 24/7 business with a big electricity bill!

However, the positive aspect of environmentally friendly and going green is a good selling point. Moor Farm has had solar for a long time. I would say thats been a better return there. Much smaller but more of a day time operation.

2 minutes ago, rammieib said:

This won't financially be as good as it looks but it will resonate well with the green brigade. I don't estimate the Pride Park electricity costs to be that high, maybe 300k a year. Majority of that will be in winter time when Solar creates 20% of what it does in Summer. 

I'm all for going green, but the ROI on this will be 10 years plus IMO. You can't even sell back to the grid at decent rates these days since the FIT tariffs dropped. 

I know my stuff here, I've just spent £1.4 million on Solar for my company. We area 24/7 business with a big electricity bill!

However, the positive aspect of environmentally friendly and going green is a good selling point. Moor Farm has had solar for a long time. I would say thats been a better return there. Much smaller but more of a day time operation.

I assume David Clowes knows his stuff. 

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

Thanks for the interesting take. I was appalled when the FIT tariffs changed. Because of that, doesn't a major solar investment also require storage capability nowadays? Say a load of Tesla power walls? 

16 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We might then,finally have the concourse heating turned back on in winter!

It won't, but I don't want it. You're wrapped up for a freezing couple of hours, then you get one brief searing blast of gas burner. Uncomfortable and unpleasant.

Edited by Needlesh

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

What do you mean "is that it"? I've longed to join the ranks of ITKnowers for years. This could be the making of me becoming a true forum legend, talked about in hushed tones for decades to come instead of just being bullied by @Boycie.

I’m changing my handle to uttoxram75 is god

If I’m not mistaken, I think PP has a supplementary generator set to help with demand on match days.

I think that’s what failed way back on our first home game and the lights went out.

I have been wrong once before.

Edited by Boycie
This could have been the black smoke seen on sat, may have bust a piston ring or summart?

10 hours ago, rammieib said:

Utility fees will be about £1.5m for a year at the currnet prices.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Wouldn't we have the cost of utilities from the administrations report last year? Obviously costs have changed and all that, but still, will give a better estimate of what it's likely to be.

7 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Thanks for the interesting take. I was appalled when the FIT tariffs changed. Because of that, doesn't a major solar investment also require storage capability nowadays? Say a load of Tesla power walls? 

Yes and No. If you have batteries (Commercially a 6kW battery is about £3k and would be good enough for a small household per day). Large commercial organisations, yes you can get battery storage but I've found this very commercially challenging and we didn't proceed with it. When I get the Solar for my roof at work - it only covers 21% of my business demand, so we will always be using more than it can create, despite putting 4200 panels on my roof). At my own house on a summers day, I'll produce twice as much as I can use with 12 panels on my roof - so the battery storage kicks in.

So there will never be enough storage to keep building it up and up from the Summer to use in the Winter - because ultimately, unless you spend millions on battery storage, you don't have enough capacity to store it. 

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Honestly I don't know if it was or wasn't in the accounts and what levels they split it down to. Stadium and Training ground, Gas, Electricity, Water and anything else that comes under it.

I'd love to know how much electricity they have used and at what prices they are paying. (But I'm sad like that)

22 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Yes and No. If you have batteries (Commercially a 6kW battery is about £3k and would be good enough for a small household per day). Large commercial organisations, yes you can get battery storage but I've found this very commercially challenging and we didn't proceed with it. When I get the Solar for my roof at work - it only covers 21% of my business demand, so we will always be using more than it can create, despite putting 4200 panels on my roof). At my own house on a summers day, I'll produce twice as much as I can use with 12 panels on my roof - so the battery storage kicks in.

So there will never be enough storage to keep building it up and up from the Summer to use in the Winter - because ultimately, unless you spend millions on battery storage, you don't have enough capacity to store it. 

So how much would it cost and what would I need to run a hot tub in terms of battery and panels? Tried to look into it but it’s impossible if you don’t know much about the subject