Bolton Wanderers (H) Sat 21st Jan

15 hours ago, ram59 said:

Before the match, there was concern about the ref, but right up to their goal, I thought that he had an excellent game. He played great advantage for our first goal and cautioned their player whilst we were celebrating, a lot of refs would have considered the goal to be punishment enough. 3 minutes injury time was on the short side, considering the substitutions and a bit of time wasting on our behalf.

The officials spoilt it at the end with their goal though, the ref should have seen that the ball was out, but his linesman was the main one at fault, how he didn't see that, I don't know.

Indeed. I myself raised concern about Jeremy Simpson pre-match as he’s got a long list of critics- but a good game today. Brilliant advantage played indeed.

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Indeed. I myself raised concern about Jeremy Simpson pre-match as he’s got a long list of critics- but a good game today. Brilliant advantage played indeed.

Yeah he was fine. Even their goal I can’t be certain. There’s zero good angles, the ball is in the air so it is going to look out when it may not have been. 

11 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

Its amazing how after  match we have the choice to talk about all the good stuff, or moan about the poor play, or who has let us down. Today we didn't have that choice. There is absolutely nothing to complain about from a derby point of view. And yes, like many I was worried by the team selection, enforced as it was, but it turned out to be "nay worries", as they say in Scotland.

Roberts is a good option to have at right back, and Curtis was safe enough, in part because of the lack of pace up front from Bolton. I know they have lost a couple of important players up front, but I don't think pace is their game. Their tactics were to lump it to the big man, or into the channels, and it didn't work. An important factor in this was our pressing, which I don't think I have seen as effectively employed before, especially as we kept it up all match. Thank you Jason knight for making it possible, and the new fitness regime!

A couple of times I had to wonder how Bolton managed to be in 5th place because they didn't really perform. The nearest to an attempt on goal in the first half was a cross that bobbled through to Wildsmith, and their only shots on target were at 56  minutes, 73 minutes and the goal, which should have been a goal kick. But they didn't perform because we didn't let them! And we have done that many times this season, particularly since Mr Warne took up residence.

NML had his defender on toast all match long, Max Bird has stepped up a gear, and our longing for him to toughen up was answered in only the 2nd minute when he bullied a Bolton player off the ball near the corner flag. And his pass to set up the second goal was an absolute peach. I've already mentioned Knighty, and it is good to see Hourihane, who was my least favourite  putting himself about with a bit of passion - I don't know what happened, but he has been a different player since he came back from injury. I don't think there is player who can be singled out for playing badly - yet again. And it is getting to what it was like for Mac 1, and indeed the days of Brian Clough and then Dave Mackay, when we didn't wonder if we could win or draw, but how may we were gong to win by!

Today was a great football match, and I went absolutely bonkers berserk for both the goals - something I haven't done for years, because they were two tremendous goals. I was supposed to walk back to the car after the match, but got there without knowing how - almost as though I had floated all the way back! What a feeling!

<cough> funny fags ? 

15 hours ago, ram59 said:

Before the match, there was concern about the ref, but right up to their goal, I thought that he had an excellent game. He played great advantage for our first goal and cautioned their player whilst we were celebrating, a lot of refs would have considered the goal to be punishment enough. 3 minutes injury time was on the short side, considering the substitutions and a bit of time wasting on our behalf.

The officials spoilt it at the end with their goal though, the ref should have seen that the ball was out, but his linesman was the main one at fault, how he didn't see that, I don't know.

Maybe a tad harsh on the referee. It looked out of play but the ref didn’t have the right angle to be able to tell if it had crossed the line or not especially as the ball was off the ground and no Derby players appealed. If it did go out of play then that’s on the assistant referee not the ref (IMO).

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Yeah he was fine. Even their goal I can’t be certain. There’s zero good angles, the ball is in the air so it is going to look out when it may not have been. 

Yes - bit like the Japan World Cup goal - arc of the ball being perpendicular to the ground and all that twaddle - Fozzy could’ve row Z’edded it but a tad hindsight - it’s a good lesson to the Team how football can change in a flash - the 2-1 score puts a different sheen on it when it really was a 2-0 game. 

18 hours ago, Addingham Ram said:

Living outside of the area these days, due to licensing, Radio Derby switches to Squad Goals during the matches, which is quite possibly the worst football coverage I have ever heard, a bunch of immature reporters talking crap most of the time.

You can however listen to Radio Derby pre-match and post match, but having heard Charlie Palmer during the pre-match chat, I've given up totally, and am listening to that bafoon Adrian Durham on Talk$#&@ Radio. That's how bad things are when out if Radio Derby range!

I don't dislike Charlie Palmer, but he is one poor radio presenter / match summariser.

18 hours ago, Elwood P Dowd said:

If you have family or friends in the Radio Derby area use What’s App/ Skype and get them to put their phone near the radio and just listen on yours ?

Living outside the area you can subscribe to match audio for only £5 a month, the dosh going to the club. And you get to watch the full 90 after if you fancy. Not Charlie Palmer every game and saves your old man struggling with the tech! 

Mrs Sagan insisted on a trip to Canary Wharf, but little did she know I had the commentary in my ears the full game. After the worrying team news it sounded a great performance. Huge shame about the inept lino at the end. 

16 hours ago, Warren Blufitt said:

Very well done today guys thoroughly deserved the win and really it was men against boys. Your physicality, nouse and experience completely undid us. To be fair we’ve been like this all season, pretty football but no cutting edge and we need a couple of old heads to lead the kids. Unfortunately Evatt is so far down his moneyball route trying to find young players to sell on he completely ignores the fact that you need some grey hairs in the team who’ve been there and done it, unlike your man who knows exactly how to do it and is doing a cracking job. There may have been a few questioning his appointment but I think he’s more than answering them now. I think you’ve every chance of making the top two now if you keep up performances like todays so best of luck for the rest of the season. ??

A very noble post, and you are not bluffing. 

13 hours ago, ck- said:

Why? I was on the half way line at the back of the stand. 
Both players way over the line with the ball in between them. If you can’t see that you’ve no business being a referee. As for the linesman, that’s absolutely disgraceful and I’d expect them to be rested for a few games after that. 

AB9BA6D6-E988-4CC0-A5C2-B5A60ADE1E3C.jpeg

I wonder how many fans who slaughter referees and linesmen have ever had a go themselves ? Do they know all the ball has to be out? And the only fans who will know that are the ones who were perfectly in line.Start with kids football and see how hard it is.

11 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I wonder how many fans who slaughter referees and linesmen have ever had a go themselves ? Do they know all the ball has to be out? And the only fans who will know that are the ones who were perfectly in line.Start with kids football and see how hard it is.

Would you have been so blasé if it had been for an equaliser?

You could see from where the players where it was miles out.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It looked easily in on telly , but the camera was on the half way line . I was in the South stand and had no chance of seeing properly. You HAD to be right in line to see it . Save the anger for one that really matters 

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The assistant referee whose call it was, made consistently poor decisions throughout the game and seemed to be enjoying winding-up players from both sides when they expressed their many objections to him.

55 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Mrs Sagan insisted on a trip to Canary Wharf, but little did she know I had the commentary in my ears the full game. After the worrying team news it sounded a great performance. Huge shame about the inept lino at the end. 

Indeed - he was dreadful and should be carpeted by his bosses.

36 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I reffed in the Taverners League(Derby)for 4/5 years some 30 years ago, Refereeing is simple, Players and fans make it more difficult, Interpreting the laws of the game or using common sense are at odds with each other, There were 30004 refs there yesterday a lot would have had a different thought on how the officials performed it's what we do, I thought he had a goodish game but that's not really a compliment as the ones I've seen this season have been poor...imo,  I feared for the game yesterday when I found who the official was, Yes I went it was a struggle but got there in the end and glad we took the 3 points ☺️ and didn't lose as I missed the last 4 games

In the pub after 1 mate who sits North East corner...he didn't think the ball was out, Another who sits West Stand towards North Stand thought it was out...as the ball was in the air it looks to be a tough call from the linesman to give out or not out.

20 games to go so 60 points to play for, Sheff Wed have 1 of the places for me, Plymouth have to implode...but we have 2 games in hand and play them in a few weeks...so I'll quote Stingray..."anything can happen in the next 20 games"