Unbeaten Run

Carl Sagan

I simply don't get that people are reporting that we're unbeaten for 16 games. If that were the case we'd still be in the League Cup, but we went out (ie a loss) to Liverpool at Anfield. Our unbeaten run is a magnificent 11 games, 8 of them in the league. However, if we're just looking only at league matches, the unbeaten run there is also a magnificent 11 games (though only 5 wins and 6 draws).

1. FAC Rams 3 Barnsley 0 W
  2. LG1 Rams 4 Accrington 0 W
  3. LG1 Rams 1 Cambridge 0 W
  4. LG1 Bolton 0 Rams 0 D
  5. LG1 Rams 4 Forest Green 0 W
  6. LG1 Burton 1 Rams 1 D
  7. LG1 Rams 0 Wednesday 0 D
  8. FAC Newport 1 Rams 2 W
  9. LG1 Portsmouth 0 Rams 0 D
  10. FAC Rams 5 Torquay 0 W
  11. LG1 Milton Keynes 1 Rams 3 W
  12. EFLCup Liverpool 0 Rams 0 LOST ON PENALTIES
  13. FAC Torquay 2 Rams 2 D
  14. LG1 Morecambe 1 Rams 1 D
  15. LG1 Rams 4 Bristol Rovers 2 W
  16. LG1 Rams 0 Exeter 0 D
  17. LG1 Ipswich 1 Rams 0 L

While we need to start winning more games, we do look as if we're likely to do that from now on. Also, this list of results highlights the fabulous defence, not conceding in 5 games and only letting in 3 in the last 12, including that trip to Anfield which I think was the making of our current defence, giving them massive confidence.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I simply don't get that people are reporting that we're unbeaten for 16 games. If that were the case we'd still be in the League Cup, but we went out (ie a loss) to Liverpool at Anfield. Our unbeaten run is a magnificent 11 games, 8 of them in the league. However, if we're just looking only at league matches, the unbeaten run there is also a magnificent 11 games (though only 5 wins and 6 draws).

4. LG1 Bolton 0 Rams 0 D
  6. LG1 Burton 1 Rams 1 D

While we need to start winning more games, we do look as if we're likely to do that from now on. Also, this list of results highlights the fabulous defence, not conceding in 5 games and only letting in 3 in the last 12, including that trip to Anfield which I think was the making of our current defence, giving them massive confidence.

It is since then mate and yes we are 16 games unbeaten.

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

4. LG1 Bolton 0 Rams 0 D
  6. LG1 Burton 1 Rams 1 D

All football statisticians count games decided by penalty kicks as drawn fixtures. 

10 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

4. LG1 Bolton 0 Rams 0 D
  6. LG1 Burton 1 Rams 1 D

We haven’t lost in open play. So it is 16 games.

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

There are probably the same crazies on here who somehow didn't think we lost to Mansfield in the Pizza Trophy!

Would that be the one we got a point for. During the Sheffield Wednesday v Newcastle game they said we were equal second on the list of unbeaten teams on 15.

49 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

4. LG1 Bolton 0 Rams 0 D
  6. LG1 Burton 1 Rams 1 D

Some really interesting things in there. So many away games in the first half of those fixutures. We really fought during those games and picked up lots of good away points/results.

The goals conceeded is just becoming incredible. We've also done it without ever really been negative and now we are scoring lots of goals too. I went to the MK Dons game and it really felt we needed a win from that game. The signs weren't good when they scored early by running straight through the middle of the park. We have conceeded 2 goals in the next 10 games from that point onwards!

Obviously going win/loss/win/loss gets you more points than 4 draws. But those hard fought draws have turned us into a team who now believes we won't lose, or even conceed. This base is something we haven't had for ages. Even in Lampard season, we were so inconsistent. Can't remember us going on many good unbeaten runs with Rowett either. We've been inconsistent for years, except for Mac 1 really. If I remember rightly, we started acculminating points quietly when he first joined, with the great performamces coming a bit later on.

I remember on @Steve Bloomer's Washing a few games back them talking about most our home games had been against the top teams. This led to some tough home games and defeats, but also away games vs weaker teams who parked the bus.

We have now started playing some of those weaker teams at home and over powering them. How we do away at the better teams will decide if we stick in the playoffs or push on to challenge for automatic.

Good times.

50 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

There are probably the same crazies on here who somehow didn't think we lost to Mansfield in the Pizza Trophy!

Same crazies….like the club? See below tweet.

We lost the tie against Liverpool on penalties, but the 90 minute match ended in a draw and as several other posters have commented that’s the accepted measure within football. The last team to beat us in a 90 Minute game of football was Ipswich Town, 16 games ago 

@Carl Sagan so you’re making this statement on the arguable proposition that a loss on penalties after a drawn game + extra time counts as a loss, either statistically, or on the field of play ?

personally I think you have a point, but it is open to discussion and ahem, positive reporting. For example .. we drew against Liverpool but the ability to progress was decided on a penalty shoot out.  So .. perhaps if you could consider this interpretation of stats then you wouldn’t be wondering or trying to “get”  why people are reporting what they are reporting - does this help you understand ??

psst .. just messing about 

It’s becoming an impressive stat that we are proving hard to beat, indeed score against. I have not been a big fan of Paul Warne’s appointment but fair play he has turned the team into a solid, resilient force. I am warming to him as I am seeing more attacking intent. It also helps that I have put him on ignore. I do typically like to hear the pre-match prezzer and post-match reaction but in truth he (and Bradley) make me cringe. He is a Poundland Brent 

bbc GIF